Things I've learned as a recent grad

In summary, the conversation discusses the challenges of finding a job with a general STEM major, the impact of the bad economy on the job market, and the use of temp agencies and job boards in the job search process. It also touches on the stereotype of STEM majors lacking practical skills and the negative perception of advanced degrees in the job market. The overall message is to be strategic and resourceful in the job search and to not be discouraged by the current state of the economy and job market.
Aero51 said:
The companies themselves lie to their candidate pool while many of you preach about the integrity of the applicant. Now tell me, is it ok for a company to bait its candidates? If you want to talk about integrity, talk about company policy towards candidates. Absolutely contemptible that virtually all of you overlooked this fact.

Like the people that work for them, not all companies are as ethical or decent as we'd like. I have had the misfortune of working with such companies in the past, and I didn't stick around.

Nevertheless, you feel obligated to tar them all with that same brush. The alternative, since you seem to think you know better than the rest of us, is to start a business of your own. Then you can set your own standards.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well I can understand that different people would have differing opinions about how many interviews is optimal. When you're actually looking for work, though, I'd advise the following:

• There can be lots of interviews, and companies that give lots of interviews may well make you an offer.
  • Be ready for any question at any time, even if you think you've moved to a different part of the process.
  • Be appreciative of the time people are taking from their day to speak with you.

For on-site interviews, I would add an additional piece of advice:

As always, be ready to explain why you would like to work in the position you're interviewing for. But don't rule out the possibility that there are other open positions. If it's a large organization and they might be considering you for more than just the one you applied for. Be honest about where your interest lies, but keep an open mind throughout the process. If you find yourself interviewing with someone who seems only marginally related to the position you thought you were there for, there may be other options available to you.

JakeBrodskyPE said:
Like the people that work for them, not all companies are as ethical or decent as we'd like. I have had the misfortune of working with such companies in the past, and I didn't stick around.

Nevertheless, you feel obligated to tar them all with that same brush. The alternative, since you seem to think you know better than the rest of us, is to start a business of your own. Then you can set your own standards.

The bad thing is can you get a job if you don't work for these unethical companies? Unfortunately, in some economies, the answer appears to be "no". Do you have advice on what to do, since you did work for some of these companies?

JakeBrodskyPE said:
However those unethical things like putting a job out there while planning to hire h1b's are competitive advantages in the sense that they will get talent for cheaper by flying someone in from abroad who will not ask for the money someone from here will. This will keep down costs and this will reflect on their lower operating costs higher profit which will then be rewarded in the form of higher stock price if the company is publicly traded.

atyy said:
The bad thing is can you get a job if you don't work for these unethical companies? Unfortunately, in some economies, the answer appears to be "no". Do you have advice on what to do, since you did work for some of these companies?

I won't name names of companies because while the name of the company still exists, the ownership has changed at least once and probably more since the days when I worked there.

Learning who meets your sense of ethics and who doesn't is difficult. Often that situation exists even within the same division of the same company. I've seen unethical things happen and employees leave following an attempt to abuse their professional certification. I've seen people get taken off to Federal Prison for theft. Learn to keep your ears to the ground and find out who is nice to work with and who isn't. Thankfully, I've had the good fortune of working with some very capable, honest, and fun people for most of my career.

But some are incompetent. Some are unethical, and some are just plain difficult to be with. It is wise in those cases to always keep your ears to the ground and get ready to apply for new positions as they open up. And yes, I have seen people walk away without any job prospects to walk in to.

Remember, your mental health is important too. If your work makes you crazy enough to want to treat yourself poorly, it's time to leave. What good is the money if you hate yourself for being there?

Poor economy or not, be broad minded about what you like to do. You may find yourself doing things you never thought you'd do --and enjoying it!

Some aim at the prestige and that's it. Frankly, I'd rather talk to a happy guy who picks up my trash every week then to talk to a rich buffoon with an inflated sense of self worth. You are not your job. You are you. If you can't find work that pays the bills, pick up, and go live somewhere where you can pay your bills and make enough money to support yourself. And if your education serves you well, Great. But it doesn't have to. Sometimes it's just the experience of getting that education that matters. It's the experience of learning to think for yourself.

Good Luck!

Likes 1 person
Aero51 said:
And 4 interviews? What are you applying to work in a secret lab at Mount Cheyenne? They are taking advantage of you.

Aero51's post above is referring to my job interviews with one company. I strongly disagreed with Aero51's sentiment at the time, but until the company made me an offer, I didn't have any evidence Aero51 was wrong. I promised myself I'd come back later and provide the results for readers to judge.

Not too long after Aero51's post I called this company up. . . and asked them for a fifth interview. Of the five interviews, one was with HR, and one was an on-site interview. I talked to around a dozen different people in total, from six different areas of the company.

The company later made me an offer and I accepted. The job has been working out very well and I feel that both the company and I are glad we put as much time and effort into ensuring this was a good match as we did.

We typically see interviews as a time the employer is judging us, but it's also a time we're judging them.

Locrian said:
Aero51's post above is referring to my job interviews with one company. I strongly disagreed with Aero51's sentiment at the time, but until the company made me an offer, I didn't have any evidence Aero51 was wrong. I promised myself I'd come back later and provide the results for readers to judge.

Not too long after Aero51's post I called this company up. . . and asked them for a fifth interview. Of the five interviews, one was with HR, and one was an on-site interview. I talked to around a dozen different people in total, from six different areas of the company.

The company later made me an offer and I accepted. The job has been working out very well and I feel that both the company and I are glad we put as much time and effort into ensuring this was a good match as we did.

We typically see interviews as a time the employer is judging us, but it's also a time we're judging them.

Very good point. IMO when an applicant goes into an interview knowing this, it gives an extra boost of confidence. But, unfortunately, when an applicant is feeling desperate (which is often the case), it's hard to remember the interview is going both ways.