Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Things that are impossible

1. Sep 22, 2010 #1

wolram

Gold Member

How many can you think of like, its impossible to pull your self up by your shoe strings.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 22, 2010 #2

cronxeh

Gold Member

Impossible to make someone love you

4. Sep 22, 2010 #3
    There's an infinite amount of things that are impossible. I could just say it's impossible to jump to mars, then say the same thing about every other planet, moon, star or chunk of ice or rock in the universe.

5. Sep 22, 2010 #4
    I've seen someone jump to the moon. However, a dinosaur with 15 horns is likely impossible.

6. Sep 22, 2010 #5

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Actually, that's quiet easy. Many people are fake in order to get someone to fall in love with them, the problem is that they can't keep up the ruse forever.

7. Sep 22, 2010 #6

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

How about a cow with 2 horns, jumping over the moon?

8. Sep 22, 2010 #7

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Timing is esential because, based on all pictures I've seen, it needs to be a crescent moon so that the cow doesn't have as much distance to travel.

9. Sep 22, 2010 #8
    And the cow could wait till after moon set.

10. Sep 22, 2010 #9
    Impossible also says I`m possible

11. Sep 22, 2010 #10

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Ignoring friction.

12. Sep 22, 2010 #11

cronxeh

Gold Member

Pengwino not blowing a gasket while grading homework

13. Sep 22, 2010 #12

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It's very easy to ignore friction. Doesn't mean it's not there of course.

There are more things that are possible than impossible: If X is impossible, then not X is possible (in fact necessary). On the other hand, if X is possible, not X might also be possible, so this is not an involution

The possibility hypothesis: Is the set of things that is possible the same cardinality as the set of things which is impossible, or are they different sizes? Alternatively, is this question unanswerable?

14. Sep 22, 2010 #13
    I think more things are impossible than possible. For instance, it is well know that barbers can't shave themselves nor can they fail to shave themselves.

15. Sep 22, 2010 #14

Danger

Gold Member

While I can't say that it's absolutely impossible, I've had no success whatsoever in trying to teach a snake to tap-dance.

16. Sep 22, 2010 #15
    I know someone who can neither enter into the USA nor capable of sexual activities.

17. Sep 22, 2010 #16

Char. Limit

Gold Member

Everything has a probability, no matter how vanishingly small, of occuring.

Nothing is impossible.

Therefore, more things are possible than impossible.

18. Sep 22, 2010 #17

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Obviously you've never been married.

19. Sep 22, 2010 #18

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Proof?

I think not.

20. Sep 22, 2010 #19

Char. Limit

Gold Member

Nope.

If x>0, is it not true that x>0?

21. Sep 22, 2010 #20

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The barber's a woman!

not is a logical negation. So if the original statement is: It's impossible for barber's to shave themselves, then the negation is it's possible that barber's can not shave themselves. Basically, if something is impossible then it's possible that it's impossible. If you have a reverse inclusion or a surjection feel free to share it

If x>0, there's a small possibility that I was referring to complex numbers the whole time and there is no field ordering available

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook