So, what's the question?

• Thread starter kant
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Interest
In summary: I'm doing well, I'm satisfied17) Yes18) 1984 by George Orwell19) My friends and family20) The coolest person in the world.
kant
Well, as you can see, i am new to this forum from obvious indicators. I know very little about you, or the people that made up this forum. if i know anything, it is that the majority of you are probably white and from english specking countries. The fact that you are here means that you are some what of a nerd. Other than that, i know nothing. I create this thread with the purpose of allowing me to understand you, or the people that made up this forum. Perhaps this thread will also allow you to understand your own inner group more better. Please allow yourself some time to answer the follow questions( in some questions, detail is implied):

fundamental

1) What is your race, or ethnicity?
2) where are you from?
3) what is your age?
4) What is your gender?
5) What do you do for a living?
6) what academic degrees do you have?
7) Have you publish anything( journals? books? articles?). Where? What? title?

Detail

8)what do you think is your most foundemental belief about the world?
9)What is your opinion about life?
10)What interest you? Is it math?, physic?, philosophy? (detail is implied).
11) How much do you know about your area of interest?
12)what are your goals and dreams?
13)What do you stand for? (Ex: justics?...)
14) what are things most important to you?

trival

15) What do you do for fun?
16) How are you doing, and you satisfy?
17) Do you like learning?
18) what is your favor book?
19) What amuse you?
20) What do you want other people to know about you?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
kant said:
Well, as you can see, i am new to this forum from obvious indicators. I know very little about you, or the people that made up this forum. if i know anything, it is that the majority of you are probably white and from english specking countries. The fact that you are here means that you are some what of a nerd. Other than that, i know nothing. I create this thread with the purpose of allowing me to understand you, or the people that made up this forum. Perhaps this thread will also allow you to understand your own inner group more better. Please allow yourself some time to answer the follow questions( in some questions, detail is implied):

fundamental

2) where are you from?
3) what is your age?
4) What is your gender?

Detail

trival

19) What amuse you?

I am a middle aged white man who wants people to learn
peace and understanding, monty python is funny.

I can clearly see that this is a thread of twenty questions, but I do feel that it is cheating to have subquestions in each question. The game should be called 'Subquestions of Twenty'.

Oh and welcome to you kant. There is lots of choice here so long as you choose Physics. :smile:

The Bob (2004 ©)

1) White
2) US
3) 19
4) Male
5) No job, full time student
6) None, been in school for two years.
7) Nope
8) Too much thought required to give an accurate answer.
9) Life is cool
10) Math, puzzle/logic/card games
11) Don't start real classes til next semester, so I would say not much.
12) Phd in Math (Pure), then to teach math at a community collge or university.
13) Being Realistic
14) School
15) Fun? I guess minesweeper, Simpsons, Reno 911
16) Happy as I can realistically be.
17) Sure
18) Not a big reader
19) People
20) Coolest person in the world.

I'm sure we can all learn a bit about each other from this, so here goes!

1) White
2) England
3) 21
4) Male
5) Nothing, yet! In between studentness and an engineering job
6) BEng (Hons) in Mechanical Engineering
7) Have a report on atomisation which is being considered for publication
8) Just be nice to people
9) Life is a game. I'm a firm believer of this
10) anything logical, I get confused otherwise
11) I don't know enough yet about my area of interest. Does anyone?
12) Goals - to be happy
13) I stand for honesty, I can't abide liars or cheats
14) Happiness is most important to me
15) For fun? Play music, listen to music, rock climb
16) Happy enough, anticipating some big changes
17) I like learning
18) Favourite book: The Very Hungry Caterpillar
19) I'm amused by lots of things. Incongruity is one of them!
20) If anyone wants to know anything about me, they can ask!

The Bob said:
I can clearly see that this is a thread of twenty questions, but I do feel that it is cheating to have subquestions in each question. The game should be called 'Subquestions of Twenty'.

If anything, i don t think twenty question is enough to express the intention of this thread.

Oh and welcome to you kant. There is lots of choice here so long as you choose Physics. :smile:

The Bob (2004 ©)

I concur

wolram said:
monty python is funny.
Terry Gilliam disagrees with you on that point.

The Bob said:

The Bob (2004 ©)

No not physics, learn, anthrobiogenics, toe nails are just so much fun.

I'm just going to pick and choose..

1 Native American/Norse
2 USA
4 Female
3 48
6 Forensic Anthropology
14 world peace and puppys
15 play guitar, watch the stars
16 great, and mostly yes
19 watching people

20) Nothing. I like being mysterious. :cool:

Okay, nothing except that I like being mysterious. :rolleyes:

1) I don't know.. Mauritian
2) UK
3) 20
4) Male
5) Nothing, I'm a student
6) None yet
7) No
8) What?
9) It sucks to be honest
10) Computer Science
11) Not a lot
12) Being happy, getting a PhD in CS
13) Nothing
14) My studies
15) Be online, code
16) Umm..
17) I suppose
18) Don't have one
19) Random stuff
20) Hmm

kant said:
If anything, i don't think twenty question is enough to express the intention of this thread.
Yes. Seriously, I agree.

The Bob (2004 ©)

kant said:
Human.

kant said:
2) where are you from?
Earth.

kant said:
3) what is your age?
It's the number that, when added to my birth date, gives you the day I last celebrated my birthday.

kant said:
4) What is your gender?
Hombre.

kant said:
Actually I just got a promotion. Can't remember what I am now. That's going to bug me. Information Consultant or something. It's in IT anyway.

kant said:
None, so far. Doing a physics degree at the moment, part time.

kant said:
Yes. Wall. Graffitti. Suck my-

kant said:
Take away everything that can appreciate its beauty and it just might be beautiful.

kant said:
It consists of replication, metabolism, growth and it takes too fuggin long to get anywhere.

kant said:
Physics, maths, philosophy, history, politics, music, film, sex, drugs, booze, society, life, death, monkeys.

kant said:
Sh-t, I should have read this one first. Here goes: a little, a little, very little, even less, an iota, quite a lot, loads, not enough, too much, waaay too much, a bit, a fair bit, and simply that they're too cool.

kant said:
Finish my degree, do a masters, figure out what to do with my life, record lots of music, make a film, make a mint on the property market, buy a house with land and grow my own food, solve the great existential problem.

kant said:
WTF are justics? Are they the things you light in your bedroom to hide the fact you've been smoking grass? The things I believe most in are:
- the equal and fundamental rights of the individual within society over the benefit of that society or institutions therein;
- I believe the weak and the poor should be protected by the strong and the rich;
- I believe that there should be no such thing as limited liability, and all men and women should be held accountable for their actions;
- I believe in scientific truth and logic over superstition, fancy and religion;
- above all things, I believe in love [in a Scottish accent].

kant said:
My girlfriend. My thirst for knowledge. My creative streak.

kant said:
Drink, smoke, meet friends, study physics, listen to, play and write and record music. Love the movies. There are private things too. These questions are kind of repetitive. It's hard not to say the same thing over and over.

kant said:
I'm fine. I'm a bit strapped for cash, but I'll be fine once my house is sold. I find I have too little time and I'm spreading myself too thin. My brain is always going in four or five different directions at once and I don't sleep too well, or else I can't stay awake. I miss my old friends. But I'm still having a ball, making the best of every minute, tackling the biggies a day at a time. I think I'm partially satisfied. I have accomplished too little to be satisfied.

kant said:
Of course.

kant said:
On The Road.

kant said:
19) What amuse you?
Funny stuff.

kant said:
I'm not quite egocentric enough to want other people to know anything about me in particular. I'll tell people pretty much anything, but who gives a s--t?

Last edited:
Damn... this thread is turning into quite a productive thread.

kant said:

fundamental

Decline to answer...I don't see how this tells me anything about a person.
2) where are you from?
Originally or now or in a month? I move a lot. :biggrin:
3) what is your age?
It's impolite to ask a lady her age. :wink:
4) What is your gender?
Ooh, I love "gender" questions. It's fascinating when you get the "male trapped in a female body," or vice versa, type responses.
I find breathing helps. :rofl: I think most people here already know I do neuroscience/reproduction research.
Ph.D.
Yep. But I'm not telling you what or where, that would give away my secret identity. :cool:

Still looking for the answer to that one.
It's a pretty good thing. I think I'll stick with it a while longer.
Answering silly surveys. :biggrin: Academic interests are already addressed in #5.
Never enough.
These are all too broad of questions for me to answer.

Dancing, reading books, hanging out at PF, teaching.
I'm fine, thanks, and you? And I always satisfy. :devil:
I highly doubt anyone hanging around on a site titled "Physics Forums" doesn't like learning.
I've enjoyed too many to have a favorite.
19) What amuse you?
You know, some of these questions are redundant. Silly surveys.
You'll have to hang around and keep reading posts to find out.

Moonbear said:
Blah blah, blah blah blah blah blah. Whinge whinge whinge, blah blah! Blah.

I like the way that the only question Moonie answered properly was the one about her Ph.D! :tongue:

*runs, hides...!*

Picking and choosing.

2) where are you from? A mucky marsh in SE U.S.
4) What is your gender? male
5) What do you do for a living? full-time college student
6) what academic degrees do you have? Only HS degree so far.
7) Have you publish anything( journals? books? articles?). Where? What? title? Nope.

8)what do you think is your most foundemental belief about the world? That we should all try to cooperate for the good of all life on earth. This is done through scientific progress and so forth.

9)What is your opinion about life? It should be enjoyed, and such is to be treasured. Life is the only thing that I know, it would be a waste should it disappear.

10)What interest you? Is it math?, physic?, philosophy? (detail is implied). Physics, mathematics, cosmology, philosophy, pretty much the same reason everyone else is here.

11) How much do you know about your area of interest? Very little actually (only basic high school background). I'm observant and willing to learn though. It is my passion, hence I will go to extreme lengths to learn these topics.

12)what are your goals and dreams? To get a degree in physics, possibly double-majoring with mathematics. Another interest is nuclear physics/engineering, though I'm not sure if I should go that route. We'll see. What I'll do with it I'm not sure either, research/industry, either way, I want to make a difference to enhance the current knowledge base.

13)What do you stand for? (Ex: justics?...) That science in particular should be used ethically for constructive purposes (no weapons of mass destruction or implements to kill people).

14) what are things most important to you? My passion for the sciences, and to try to make the world a better place to live in. In the future, I hope to include a family into that list. But that is too far in the future to predict.

15) What do you do for fun? Learn :shy:, I'm weird like that. I browse Wikipedia for fun. Occasionally if I feel musically inclined, I practice a little on my clarinet.

16) How are you doing, and you satisfy? I'm not sure what you mean. Am I satisfied in general? Depends.

17) Do you like learning? Absolutely. For the most part, I exist to do so.

18) what is your favor book? No favorites so far. Frank Herbert's Dune series is on my read list, but I don't think I'll have enough time in the future to pursue it too much.

19) What amuse you? Music, though I'm picky about my playlist. Musical soundtracks by composers such as Badelt, Williams, Kamen, etc, Alternative Rock groups (not as much), Classical (infrequent, picky about that too), Jazz (occasional ballads, the super-big band stuff gets irritating after a while).

20) What do you want other people to know about you? That I would consider myself a good friend to have. Also a good boyfriend, but no one appears to want to take me up on that offer :frown: (even though I am one of those rare types of males who value personality over appearance). I'm also truthful and honest, partly because I don't want to lie, partly because I suck at lying. o:). There is so much that I want to explore and learn, and not enough time to do so. I won't try to rush at it, better to relax a little and stargaze instead of cram cram cram cram, else I will forget what I'm trying to study for in the first place.

Last edited:
1) Caucasian
2) Canada
3) 17
4) Male
5) You need something done? I'll do it.
6) High School Graduate
7) Nope.

Detail

8)Truth does not exist or cannot be known.
9)I could've designed it better.
10)Math, Physics, Philosophy - All that stuff, it's all good. I like theory of physics more than calculations, and what I like about math is how you can use it to describe and predict the world.
11)I like to think I'm well informed.
12)Take over the world.
13)Geeze, I don't know. Fairness, Individuality, Justice, Anarchism, Equality, blah blah
14)Myself

trival

15) I always have fun.
16) I'm fine... and yes, I do satisfy! ( :confused: )
17) Yes
18) Anarchy, State and Utopia.
19) Humour
20) Not Enough

Moonbear is:

1) Caucasian
2) U.S.
3) 43
4) Alian trapped in a female body
5) Biologist
6) Ph. D
7) Nope
8) That she's better than everyone else.
9) Men
10) She likes it all, but she really likes biology because she gets to learn how nature works and all that. Plus she's a sex addict, and she gets to watch different species get it on in the lab sometimes.
11) She gives lectures on Biology, pretty decent in Math too.
12) Destroy all Men
13) She has a Gender-Specific Megalomaniac Superiority Complex
14) Moonbear
15) Complains about guys and watches animals have sex.
16) Would be better if all the males would be less pathetic.
17) She likes showing off what she's learned more.
18) 101 different animal-named sex positions
19) Ppeople hurting themselves
20) That she's better than everyone else

Ooh, I like Smurf's game. I'll do Smurf - in his dreams. I'll do Danger.

1) Gorilla
2) Canada
3) Old enough to know better, too young to forget
4) Very male
5) Work
6) Enough
7) I think I write science fiction novels, but I don't remember the details
8) honestrosewater is the greatest - don't you find her mysterious?
9) It happens
10) Planes, science fiction, guy stuff, girl stuff, physics, and such
11) Enough
12) To answer all of these questions
13) Canada's National Anthem, unless I'm tipsy
14) Answering all of these questions
15) You know what
16) Yes
17) Yes
18) Yes
19) Yes
20) I eat my ice cream with a spoon
Woohoo!

Last edited:
fundamental
1) I am a caucasian.
2) Atlantic City, NJ
3) 17
4) Female
5) Currently, I'm a costume character at Chuck E. Cheese's store #510 in Princeton
6) None, besides the diploma. I'll be a college freshman in August.
7) No

Detail

8) I dunno. The world is crazy, take the time to laugh at it a bit.
9)You should just live life. Live it to the damn fullest and make your own destiny.
10) I actually have a passion for nuclear physics/engineering, which is just really hard to explain considering my dominant hemisphere of the brain lays to the right of the corpus callosum.
11) Enough to make a solid argument for it... I'm nowhere near as good as an Engineer would be, but I'm trying to learn as much as possible. I could explain to you the differences in the types of nuclear reactions, reactors, and all that and how a lot of it works but I'm no super genius.
12) Simple. I want to be a nuclear engineer who is also a published artist.
13) Peace, Love, and Nuclear Power. And a rousing bout of gratuitous violence.
14) Anyone I consider close.

trival

15) Read books, play DDR, hang out
16) It's time to get Homer Erotic.
17) Far too much
18) Make Love the Bruce Campbell Way
19) Many things. Oooh mystic.
20) My spoon is too big.

Smurf said:
Moonbear is:

1) Caucasian
2) U.S.
3) 43
4) Alian trapped in a female body
5) Biologist
6) Ph. D
7) Nope
8) That she's better than everyone else.
9) Men
10) She likes it all, but she really likes biology because she gets to learn how nature works and all that. Plus she's a sex addict, and she gets to watch different species get it on in the lab sometimes.
11) She gives lectures on Biology, pretty decent in Math too.
12) Destroy all Men
13) She has a Gender-Specific Megalomaniac Superiority Complex
14) Moonbear
15) Complains about guys and watches animals have sex.
16) Would be better if all the males would be less pathetic.
17) She likes showing off what she's learned more.
18) 101 different animal-named sex positions
19) Ppeople hurting themselves
20) That she's better than everyone else
You can have all the fun you want, but it's an unpardonable (or is that an impardonable, or inpardonable, or irpardonable :tongue2:) offense to claim a woman's age is older than it actually is. Perhaps I should offer you a math lesson too (not sure how you claim I give good lessons on math, but I can teach you to subtract my birth year from 2005 more properly :tongue:).

brewnog said:
I like the way that the only question Moonie answered properly was the one about her Ph.D! :tongue:

*runs, hides...!*

Well, you all already knew that one. And it's not the only one I answered, I just didn't answer them all in the right places. :devil:

1. What is the definition of "things that are of interest?"

"Things that are of interest" can refer to a wide range of objects, concepts, or ideas that capture our attention and curiosity. They can be anything from scientific discoveries and technological advancements to cultural phenomena and natural wonders.

2. How do scientists determine what is considered "of interest"?

Scientists determine what is considered "of interest" by conducting research and experiments, analyzing data, and consulting with experts in their respective fields. They also take into account current trends and societal needs when determining what topics are worth exploring.

3. Why is it important for scientists to study and understand "things that are of interest?"

Studying and understanding "things that are of interest" allows scientists to gain new insights and knowledge that can contribute to the advancement of their fields. It also helps us better understand the world around us and make informed decisions about important issues.

4. Can "things that are of interest" change over time?

Yes, "things that are of interest" can change over time as new discoveries are made and societal values and needs evolve. What was once considered of interest may no longer be relevant or may be replaced by new and emerging topics.

5. How can the study of "things that are of interest" benefit society?

The study of "things that are of interest" can benefit society in numerous ways. It can lead to the development of new technologies, cures for diseases, and solutions to environmental problems. It can also inspire creativity, spark curiosity, and promote critical thinking skills in individuals.