Things that make different american people

• Thread starter Clausius2
  • Start date
loseyourname said:
Dude, he's been here for like three weeks. Give the guy a chance.
To juvenal, he's just saying that Americans enjoy the little things in life, which certainly is a big part of American culture. Witness the writing of Walt Whitman and the transcendentalists, or the catch phrase "stop to smell the roses." Clausius may have worded it a little awkwardly, but I don't think he was insulting anybody. His grasp of English is still not perfect - cut the guy some slack. (Besides, even he admits that Spaniards are rude.)
I don't think so. I got the impression he went to or watched a baseball game and airshow, hated them (as might be expected since hobbies and interests are often acquired tastes), and somehow managed to turn it into some kind of cultural commentary on Americans. Look out Tocqueville! Maybe we should set this guy loose on a Japanese tea ceremony. I'm sure we'll get some scintillating insights.

Honestly, I don't see Americans being more obsessed with the little things in life. In fact, I've always had some admiration for the Europeans who can take long leisurely meals, and enjoy life as it is.

Last edited:
Evo
Mentor
juvenal said:
I don't think so. I got the impression he went to or watched a baseball game and airshow, hated them (as might be expected since hobbies and interests are often acquired tastes), and somehow managed to turn it into some kind of cultural commentary on Americans. Look out Tocqueville! Maybe we should set this guy loose on a Japanese tea ceremony. I'm sure we'll get some scintillating insights.
Honestly, I don't see Americans being more obsessed with the little things in life. In fact, I've always had some admiration for the Europeans who can take long leisurely meals, and enjoy life as it is.
I think you misunderstood his comment, it was a complement that we can appreciate little things, it doesn't have to be the biggest, fastest, glitziest, most expensive things in order for us to appreciate it.

Clausius2
Science Advisor
Gold Member
loseyourname said:
To juvenal, he's just saying that Americans enjoy the little things in life, which certainly is a big part of American culture.
Juvenal, re read my words and loseyourname words again. This is what I intended to say. Employing the words stupid an small means that maybe americans enjoy that kinds of things some of us would think as meaningless things. My next sentence consist on admiring this behavior, so be fortunate to be so if you're american. I enjoyed the airshow, and I enjoyed how americans enjoy a simple airshow. I enjoyed the baseball game, although it is boring, because I enjoy to see new things and to learn about how is the people here.

For instance, let's continue with the baseball stuff. Compare a Barcelona-Real Madrid soccer match with a playoff baseball match. I assure to you you have never seen something more spectacular than a complete stadium (Bernabeu Stadium) filled with 120.000 people in a crazy environment, screaming together or insulting simultaneously to one player. If you had these matches in USA, you would enjoy the spectacle thousand times more than us, because the great difference between americans and spaniards is the next one:

An american who has a crap# on the table is proud of it because it is an american crap#. But a spanish who has a jewel on the table will never be proud of it because we don't give real value to what we own in Spain, in part because nobody is proud of being spaniard.

Have you understood the essence of my words?

Mk
Clausius2 said:
I assure to you you have never seen something more spectacular than a complete stadium (Bernabeu Stadium) filled with 120.000 people in a crazy environment, screaming together or insulting simultaneously to one player.
An American football game? Heaven?

If you had these matches in USA, you would enjoy the spectacle thousand times more than us, because the great difference between americans and spaniards is the next one:
An american who has a crap# on the table is proud of it because it is an american crap#. But a spanish who has a jewel on the table will never be proud of it because we don't give real value to what we own in Spain, in part because nobody is proud of being spaniard.
Damn straight! GO AMERICA W00t W00t W00t W00t W00t W00t W00t

My crap is 100% pure AMERICAN CRAP! YEAH!