Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Things that taste awful

1. Nov 15, 2007 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What are the worst things that you have ever tasted?

By chance I have discovered two combinations that are extraordinarily terrible:

I once inadvertently used a spoon covered with Tabasco to stir my coffee. I don't remember it tasting like anything familiar, but there must be some kind of chemistry going on there because it was unbelievably bad! IIRC it was super-sour, so maybe it was just the combination of the acids.

Tonight I discovered another one: Tsu and I had some popcorn tonight. After this I went in a brushed my teeth. I occasionally use baking soda for brushing instead of toothpaste, and by chance I did so tonight. Well, much to my surprise, baking soda combined with the butter flavoring used on the popcorn tastes exactly like vomit! :yuck: It seemed to take a bit for the taste to set in, but once it did, wow, there was no mistake about it! A Listerine rinse never tasted so good.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 15, 2007 #2

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Earwax.

4. Nov 15, 2007 #3

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

From whose ear?

5. Nov 15, 2007 #4

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Anyone's, though I haven't carried out too much research since I was younger.

This question reminds me of the baddie in Earthworm Jim, who was so evil he actually liked the taste of toothpaste and orange juice.

6. Nov 15, 2007 #5

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Easy. I love sushi and one time I tried the urchin. Worse than anything I could have imagined.

Good thing it was really expensive. I only ordered one.

7. Nov 15, 2007 #6
    The mere mention of aluminum foil provokes an involuntary shutter.

"Oops. Missed a piece."

Ackkkkkk.................

8. Nov 15, 2007 #7

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Ivan - that buttery flavoring isn't butter, but some artificial compound. I heard recently that that particular compound represents a health hazard to food workers who may inhale it in the production area. I need to find that article.

Really?! I thought it tasted pretty good. Did you get it in the US or Japan. Freshness and the water in which they are grown/stored makes a big difference.

As for bad taste, I recently demonstrated that strawberry-banana does not go with garlic chicken. :yuck:

As for beverages, orange Tang and Vodka do not make a good screwdriver, and even worse - Vodka and cheap root beer. Do not try this! My excuse - I was 16 and inexperienced.

9. Nov 15, 2007 #8

PhY

Rofl!

10. Nov 15, 2007 #9

PhY

Creatine mix from ultra nutrition, Tastes really bad with anything.

11. Nov 15, 2007 #10

jim mcnamara

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Any of the Bertie Bott's every-flavor jelly beans - top of the list: earwax flavor.

12. Nov 15, 2007 #11

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Coffee accidentally sweetened with salt.

13. Nov 15, 2007 #12

Astronuc

Done that!

It really wakes one up - on the spot! :yuck:

14. Nov 15, 2007 #13
    1. Cilantro
    2. Capers
    3. first go brush your teeth with crest, make sure to do it fast and not rinse as well as you should have, now go undo your cleaning by drinking a glass of KoolAid. Most foul tasting combination I have experienced. (Gatorade works too).

15. Nov 15, 2007 #14

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

16. Nov 15, 2007 #15

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Cucurbitacin. Also known as the most bitter substance on the planet. We were once grinding buffalo gourd using a jet mill and I got some of it into my mouth.
    Been voting Republican ever since...

17. Nov 15, 2007 #16

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

'Diacetyl' might help your search.

It is produced naturally by yeast during fermentation. My first wine tasting included a very young Chardonnay from Jordan Wines (not yet ready for release) that had very high levels of this compound. It was like sipping a teaspoon of butterscotch. Stupid me, the flavors I was supposed to be focussing on were the underlying fruity ones. I kept going on how much I liked the butter...

Last edited: Nov 15, 2007
  18. Nov 15, 2007 #17

turbo

Gold Member

As a biology student, I was required to take part in a survey of genetic markers, and we all went from station to station in a large hall, each of us with a clipboard filling in a questionnaire. At the last station, there were little strips of paper and the instruction was to touch one of them to your tongue and record your impression of the taste. The people in front of me (as much of the line as I could see) each grabbed a strip of paper, touched it to their tongues, wrote something down (probably "tastes like paper") and moved on. Not me. I touched that piece of paper to my tongue and immediately tasted the most horrid, bitter metallic taste (mostly on the back of my tongue) I had ever experienced. When I turned in my clipboard, I asked the grad student (who had been watching me) what was on that paper, and he said that it was an alkaloid and that judging from my reaction, I would not be at risk for poisoning by mushrooms, since I probably would have to spit it out immediately just because of the taste.

19. Nov 15, 2007 #18

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I am not about to find out if my piece was an anomaly. My friend referred to urchin as "advanced sushi." I needed 3 smoked eels to get back to normal.

20. Nov 15, 2007 #19

Astronuc

That's it!

Ah - that's what you get for being a chemist.

I too would be distracted by a butterscotch flavor in a wine.

I don't care too much for Chardonnays anyway. I much prefer the reds - particularly Syrah, Shiraz, and Lembergers, then Merlot/Beaujolais, Pinot/Burgundies, and Cabernets.

21. Nov 15, 2007 #20

Astronuc

I used to go to Japan once a year for technical meetings and we'd invariably go off to some place in the countryside. We'd invariably have the infamous box lunch, which contained a variety of seafood, and one of them had sea urchin and I think some kind of sea slug or sea cucumber.

I've never had bad seafood in Japan.

But then I eat just about anything.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?