Worst Tastes: Tabasco & Baking Soda/Popcorn Butter

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
In summary, bad taste includes some combinations that are unbelievably terrible and some that are just bad. Some of the worst things that have ever tasted include earwax, earwax, and babies.
I'm going to vomit. A girl here brought in some zucchini bread and carrot bread she'd made. There is an overpowering taste of rancid tuna in both. I've never tasted anything so nasty.

I WANT THE EGGPLANT! I'm thinking of creating a dish with fried eggplant and blue cheese.

Physics news on Phys.org
Evo said:
I WANT THE EGGPLANT! I'm thinking of creating a dish with fried eggplant and blue cheese.
Sorry! The eggplant is already promised to Moonie. I'll send you some beer coasters instead. Would you prefer Heinekin or Beck's coasters?

Evo said:
I'm going to vomit. A girl here brought in some zucchini bread and carrot bread she'd made. There is an overpowering taste of rancid tuna in both. I've never tasted anything so nasty.
How does one get a taste of rancid tuna in zucchini bread and carrot bread? Evo, you work with strange people.

:tongue2:

Astronuc said:
How does one get a taste of rancid tuna in zucchini bread and carrot bread? :tongue2:
I don't think I want to know.

Maybe she baked the breads with sour milk.:yuck:

turbo-1 said:
Maybe she baked the breads with sour milk.:yuck:
Or chopped the zucchini and carrots on a cutting board that had fish on it last week. :eek:

Evo said:
How does one get a taste of rancid tuna in zucchini bread and carrot bread? :tongue2:
I don't think I want to know.
Yeah - I don't want to find out either.

BTW, I think I was misquoted. :rofl: I didn't mean :tongue2: for the rancid tuna tasting zucchini or carrot breads. Certainly that is :yuck:

Anyway, is that girl married? With the way she cooks - I can't imagine. :rolleyes:

Astronuc said:
BTW, I think I was misquoted. :rofl: I didn't mean :tongue2: for the rancid tuna tasting zucchini or carrot breads. Certainly that is :yuck:
Oooops, yes, that was my mistake.

Anyway, is that girl married? With the way she cooks - I can't imagine. :rolleyes:
She's single. And she's VERY friendly. When I told her where I moved (a few blocks from her), she grabbed my cell phone, entered her phone number and told me to call her any time of the day or night. :uhh:

Evo said:
She's single. And she's VERY friendly. When I told her where I moved (a few blocks from her), she grabbed my cell phone, entered her phone number and told me to call her any time of the day or night. :uhh:
Maybe you can teach her to cook and she can coach you in jello-wrestling. :cool:

Huckleberry said:
I didn't know him personally. It was something I heard from other marines that claimed to know him. It wouldn't surprise me at all if it were true. He may have even known that it was harmful. Marines will do anything to prove how tough they are.

A few Air Force pilots are like that, too. A former pilot was telling me how all the guys in survival training with her were too wimpy to kill a rabbit, so she had to do it (of course, being Air Force, the school was kind of wimpy - the rabbit was given to them rather than watching these guys try to actually catch a wild rabbit). She said they totally freaked out when she sucked out the eyeballs for their salt content. Then she described how having to bite down through the optic nerve made some people queasy. It was pretty painful and I've tried to avoid ever being in an office alone with her ever since that conversation.

BobG said:
I've tried to avoid ever being in an office alone with her ever since that conversation.

You should be safe if you wear glasses.

Evo said:
As long as you share it with me, I'll let you have the eggplant and blue cheese. That actually sounds like a good combination (then again, I'm really hungry, so anything would taste good right now).

BobG said:
A few Air Force pilots are like that, too. A former pilot was telling me how all the guys in survival training with her were too wimpy to kill a rabbit, so she had to do it (of course, being Air Force, the school was kind of wimpy - the rabbit was given to them rather than watching these guys try to actually catch a wild rabbit). She said they totally freaked out when she sucked out the eyeballs for their salt content. Then she described how having to bite down through the optic nerve made some people queasy. It was pretty painful and I've tried to avoid ever being in an office alone with her ever since that conversation.

Y'know, she could've just cut out the eyeballs rather than sucking them out. And, yeah, not too useful to know how to kill and eat a rabbit if you can't actually catch one unless your plane goes down on a rabbit farm. :rolleyes: Rabbit sounds kind of fancy for survival training. Aren't they supposed to learn how to eat bugs and twigs?

Evo said:
Oooops, yes, that was my mistake.
Nah! The software just takes what is typed outside of quotes. I thought it was pretty funny. :rofl:

She's single. And she's VERY friendly. When I told her where I moved (a few blocks from her), she grabbed my cell phone, entered her phone number and told me to call her any time of the day or night.
Geez - what is it with people. Don't they teach manners out your way? Grabbing cell phones. Too friendly if you ask me.

I agree with turbo, you need to advise this woman on cooking. If she cooks like that, she'll be single until she learns to cook.

turbo said:
. . . she can coach you in jello-wrestling.
Such an imagination. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Astronuc said:
I agree with turbo, you need to advise this woman on cooking. If she cooks like that, she'll be single until she learns to cook.

Or maybe she'll just meet a nice guy who can do the cooking for them both, and even teach her. My mom's cooking was atrocious before she met my dad. My dad taught her how to cook (somewhat). Or, I hope she earns enough to go out to eat a lot.

Most of my single friends seem to eat out.

I like to cook and my son likes to cook somewhat - mostly desserts. He does a really good apple crisp.

I learned to cook by helping my maternal grandmother and my mom. I used to do the cutting and chopping, and sifting flour. I can't tell you how much flour I sifted - but it was tons. My mom made pies (meat and fruit) and pasties from scratch. Her lemon meringue pie was out of this world! I've never had any as good as hers. Boy do I miss those days.

My maternal grandmother cooked on a wood stove. She made the best soups and stews. :tongue2:

Astronuc said:
I learned to cook by helping my maternal grandmother and my mom. I used to do the cutting and chopping, and sifting flour. I can't tell you how much flour I sifted - but it was tons. My mom made pies (meat and fruit) and pasties from scratch. Her lemon meringue pie was out of this world! I've never had any as good as hers. Boy do I miss those days.

I think a lot of boys learn to cook from their grandmas. I think that's interesting, and pretty cool. I rarely hear men talking about having learned from their mom or dad, but often hear about their visits to their grandma and learning to cook there...either like you did with sifting flour, or having to cut out the raviolis, or helping with the pressure cooking when canning, etc.

Do you have a good recipe for pasties? When I was in MI was the only time I've ever had them, and they were delicious, so I'd love to know how to make them. They were originally made for the miners to take with them as lunches...when they couldn't come up out of the mine to wash their hands before lunch, they could just hold the crust to eat it and toss away the crust (of course, I really like the crust, so won't be tossing it away).

Oh, wait, that's things that taste good, not things that taste awful. If you have a recipe, post it in the Food Thread. :biggrin:

Moonbear said:
I think a lot of boys learn to cook from their grandmas. I think that's interesting, and pretty cool. I rarely hear men talking about having learned from their mom or dad, but often hear about their visits to their grandma and learning to cook there...either like you did with sifting flour, or having to cut out the raviolis, or helping with the pressure cooking when canning, etc.

Do you have a good recipe for pasties? When I was in MI was the only time I've ever had them, and they were delicious, so I'd love to know how to make them. They were originally made for the miners to take with them as lunches...when they couldn't come up out of the mine to wash their hands before lunch, they could just hold the crust to eat it and toss away the crust (of course, I really like the crust, so won't be tossing it away).

Oh, wait, that's things that taste good, not things that taste awful. If you have a recipe, post it in the Food Thread. :biggrin:
I seem to remember a recipe or two that I posted in the Food Thread or similar thread. I guess we got off topic. :rofl:

I learned a lot from my mom and dad. My mom taught me about sewing, laundry, and cooking. My dad taught me gardening, carpentry, mechancial stuff. I used to help my dad repair the family cars. He'd pull apart engines, transmissions, or whatever, and I'd work alongside him. When I got to university, I learned plumbing, mechanical maintenance, and electrical maintenance, and then I'd work with my dad at home or at his office doing repairs and maintenance. It helped him save a lot of money.

My dad and I re-roofed the family house, but since a lot of the work was in the heat of the summer, I'd do most of the work. We had people driving by the house asking how much we charged to roof a house. :rofl: My dad explained that he and I were doing our place, and that we weren't professionals.

I very much enjoy heavy labor.

robphy said:
Anyone try http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Durian ?
I've only gotten close enough to be offended by the smell.

Durian is one of the best fruits here in South East Asia, and yes, I love it :approve:

My paternal grandmother was a cook for the Kennebec Log Drive, and she used to cook for a crew of 40-50 men. Every day, she would cook turkeys, hams, beef and pork roasts, and make stuffings, gravies, and all kinds of vegetables and casseroles, breads, biscuits, etc, and every single day she would bake a10" fruit pie for every man on the crew. Anything that did not get eaten at supper-time got incorporated into their breakfasts and/or packed up into their lunches for the next day, and she was there bright and early to make sure they all had eggs, bacon, ham, biscuits, pancakes, fried potatoes, baked beans, etc for breakfast. She only lived a couple of miles from my parents, but every summer she'd try to keep me for a couple of weeks and I would pack on 5-10 pounds in that time. Since I ran a lot (even as a grade-schooler), there was no chance that I would turn those calories into fat - it was my yearly change-up to a high-fat diet, and it seemed to help me gain muscle mass.

I learned at least an appreciation for the skills involved in cooking from her, and from my mother and some aunts. My mother was loving and was meticulous in her cooking. My father's mother could "get 'er done" with the best of them, while keeping everybody pretty happy. Often, when we had Thanksgiving dinner at her place, she could cook for our huge extended family using one double-oven wood stove located down in the "summer kitchen" and we would sit around old trestle tables, toasty warm from said wood stove in that uninsulated space while ranging from appetizers to desserts.

Last edited:
jimmysnyder said:
The taste of my own words can be bitter at times. Vurp is pretty bad too, especially if it has been in my nose. In Japan they have a treat called Natto, a kind of fermented soy bean. I couldn't stand it at first, but my wife made me feed to to my toddler daughter. She wasn't having it so I would do what all stupid parents do, take a taste and say "yummy". My daughter was never fooled by any of this, but I came to enjoy the taste of it.

That's the only ref to "Natto" I could find in PF. I think that a lot of people should be going to like Natto, me including, because it seems to have very strong medical benifits. It dissolved blood clogs and therefore may prevent strokes and heart attacks.

Dr. Hiroyuki Sumi, discovered Nattokinase, an enzyme produced by the natto bacterea, there seem also beneficial effects for other diseases. See this scholar google search:

http://scholar.google.com/scholar?q=natto+Hiroyuki+Sumi&hl=en&lr=&btnG=search

The smell of Natto is mainly amonia it seems, which can be neutralized by some acid, (vinegar). it could be an idea for salad, every day :-p

Toad in the hole.

wolram said:
Toad in the hole.
You have to get the right species of toad.

mgb_phys said:
You have to get the right species of toad.

That would have to be the Colorado River Toad. The Church of the Toad of Light uses their poison secretions to induce a hallucinogenic effect. It tastes like 5-MeO-DMT. Nasty stuff.

Depends where the hole is.

Toad in the hole.
I likes me toad Ala mode.

Chocolate.

I am a chocoholic (Ha! chocoholic is an actual word on this forum! No spelling mistake underline! :rofl:) One day, when I was very young and stupid (the difference being I was young then), I couldn't find any candy in the house. I searched in the closets (behind the hats), in the pots and pans cabinet (in the double boiler, of course), in the freezer (behind the beans)...okay I admit I had a problem, but I am working through it. Anyway, I couldn't find any candy, but I did find a block of baker's cooking chocolate...

Worse-tasting-God-awful-stuff I ever stuck in my mouth on purpose! It was pucker-up-your-lips-till-your-face-disappears bitter and dry... and my second bite was no better (I know I know, but it was chocolate...I told you I had a problem).

I Love Baker's Cooking Chocolate!

I *love* Baker's unsweetened chocolate! The trick is that you have to shave off tiny bits with your teeth, it'll take several hours to make a sizeable dent in a cube of it, but talk about a dark chocolate rush. :approve:

Artman said:
and my second bite was no better.
:rofl: Reminds me of the restaurant review: The food is awful and the portions are too small.

Evo said:
I *love* Baker's unsweetened chocolate! The trick is that you have to shave off tiny bits with your teeth, it'll take several hours to make a sizeable dent in a cube of it, but talk about a dark chocolate rush. :approve:
Couldn't find any candy in the double boiler, or behind the hats either, ehh?

The only thing I've ever eaten more bitter than Baker's Unsweetened Chocolate is a persimmon. Initiation by the seniors to the freshman getting onto my high school bus was to eat a persimmon, or drop pants. In 'hindsight' (heh, heh) a nice dairyaireing would have been preferable to chomping on that nasty little thing. That taste stayed with me till...gosh, I can still taste that thing!

Evo said:
Depends where the hole is.

LOL.

Evo said:

I used to just take big bites! I always liked the stuff; though the first time I took a bite it was quite a surprise.

Octopussy is the worst tasting thing it is 8 times to fishy.

Back