Things you love to hate

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
turbo
Gold Member
I hate when I call a company to arrange a prescription refill, etc, and have to spend 10 minutes wading through their ridiculous menu system, and still can't get an actual human. I pay for the wait and the irritation, and the company I'm calling probably gets a nice fat kick-back from the phone company.

I hate when I call a company to arrange a prescription refill, etc, and have to spend 10 minutes wading through their ridiculous menu system, and still can't get an actual human. I pay for the wait and the irritation, and the company I'm calling probably gets a nice fat kick-back from the phone company.
I usually mash on 0 and hope for an operator ^_^

DaveC426913
Gold Member
I usually mash on 0 and hope for an operator ^_^
Yyyyyyep.
It's the Get Out of Labyrinth Free card.

DaveC426913
Gold Member
Microsoft's idea of trying to be helpful.

Yyyyyyep.
It's the Get Out of Labyrinth Free card.
Sometimes, however, they just repeat the menu when 0 is pressed, and when this happens and I have already been through half the menu, my phone hits the wall with a considerable force.

lisab
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Borek
Mentor
Clueless newbies :wink:

Clueless newbies :wink:
As new mentor you could make a "Clueless Newbie Thread" and if you need a moron in residence I would be happy to slink around and friend all these precious new minds. :!!)

specifically the flats of oakland (from downtown to san leandro,below macarthur), though there are a lot in the bay area.

never gets old seeing 5 thuggish dudes parading without their shirts on, ghetto booty, collection of students on the corner, ridiculous cars, and of course, the fights and general stupidity.
This freakin breaks my heart.
I was a member of the Oakland community growing up. I remember as a young person someone attacking grandpa in the garage. We knew back in the 60's the area was changing. We were only a few blocks from Lake Merit. It was so beautiful then.

I really hate the word "spicket" and I hate to hear people saying it :grumpy: Maybe because it is not really a word...but it drives me crazy!

"Oh we can put a spicket there and there and " GAH

jhae2.718
Gold Member
People who call [itex]\epsilon[/itex] and [itex]\Sigma[/itex] "e".

People who spell [itex]\pi[/itex] "pie". "pie" [itex]\approx 8.53973422[/itex].

No way....have you really encountered this?

jhae2.718
Gold Member
No way....have you really encountered this?
Yes! :cry:

And every time I die a little bit on the inside. At least half the people in my classes call [itex]\varepsilon_0[/itex] "e nought" or "e zero". Or summation notation "the E thing".

:grumpy:

FtlIsAwesome
Gold Member
I really hate the word "spicket" and I hate to hear people saying it :grumpy: Maybe because it is not really a word...but it drives me crazy!

"Oh we can put a spicket there and there and " GAH
Hey, look, there's a spicket!
Ooh, another spicket!
What's this? It's a spicket!
I can understand calling epsilon "e" but capital sigma? It looks more like a Z to me.

Hey, look, there's a spicket!
Ooh, another spicket!
What's this? It's a spicket!
You, sir, are the source of all evil -_-

Yes! :cry:

And every time I die a little bit on the inside. At least half the people in my classes call [itex]\varepsilon_0[/itex] "e nought" or "e zero". Or summation notation "the E thing".

:grumpy:
Yeah I was thinking the only people who would even care about epsilon and sigma enough to talk about it are those who are learning stuff using them....I think they're just doing it for fun lol "The Z looking E thing" :tongue2: n!!!!!!!!!!! lololll

FtlIsAwesome
Gold Member
You, sir, are the source of all evil -_-
*talking to self*
Select response:

1. Mwahaha!
2. I'll take that as a compliment.
3. Imagine the number 0.999... and imagine that inside each 9 was the word spicket.
4. Bah, who cares what you think?

You have selected all of them!

Recommended course of action: run.

DaveC426913
Gold Member
I have never heard the non-word spicket.

I love the word spicket. But that must be my czech background. I think in czech it would be pronounced -watermellon.

FtlIsAwesome
Gold Member
It's a variation of the word spigot.

*talking to self*
That's the first sign...
OK that's it! I'm packing my stuff and heading north. I always knew I was on the wrong part of the globe.

Borek
Mentor
OK that's it! I'm packing my stuff and heading north. I always knew I was on the wrong part of the globe.
You are going to China?

FtlIsAwesome
Gold Member
That's the first sign...
The second would be the cosine.
Maybe you're on the wrong globe completely.
You are going to China?
No, you have to dig into the ground to get there. Going north gets you to the Artic Ocean.

Creationists

This freakin breaks my heart.
I was a member of the Oakland community growing up. I remember as a young person someone attacking grandpa in the garage. We knew back in the 60's the area was changing. We were only a few blocks from Lake Merit. It was so beautiful then.
It is almost an every day thing that something negative is happening. It is quite sad...

Lake Merritt is really gross now. The area (around lakeshore) is actually very nice, but the lake itself is, well, pretty much a septic tank...