Why is the naked body seen as taboo in American culture?

• Thread starter iforgotmyname
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the idea of nudity being a bad thing in American culture and how this belief may have originated from Judeo-Christian influences. Some argue that this belief is not uniquely American and is a result of the country's Puritan roots. Others point out the hypocrisy of violence being accepted while nudity is not, and the discussion shifts to the "moral majority" and their influence on society. The conversation also touches on the history of Puritans in America and a news story about a woman finding the image of Jesus on a crisp. The conversation ends with a new member asking for guidance on the forum's rules.
iforgotmyname
why is the naked body a very bad thing in the american culture. its not a sin to be naked adam and eve clothed themselves, God didnt make them were clothes.

just post what you think

Physics news on Phys.org
Where did you get the idea that a naked body is a bad thing in American culture?

laws that's where i got it from

It just seems to be one of those elements of Judeo-Christian belief systems that caught on in certain places. There's nothing uniquely American about it, although our FCC is certainly particularly uptight about any and all nudity. Most would probably contend that this is simply a product of the fact that the US was founded largely by Puritans. Their influence remains. Personally, I'm only offended by naked bodies that are particularly fat or ugly.

moose said:
Where did you get the idea that a naked body is a bad thing in American culture?

Remember what happened to CBS when they accidentally aired half a second of one nipple? They can show all manner of violence, foul language, and gruesome death and destruction, but God forbid they show half a second of partial nudity. Think about the children!

loseyourname said:
Remember what happened to CBS when they accidentally aired half a second of one nipple? They can show all manner of violence, foul language, and gruesome death and destruction, but God forbid they show half a second of partial nudity. Think about the children!
Are you and the OP related, or s(he) just a groupie?

Anyhow, up here they show nudity frequently, and no one objects. For instance, 'The Sopranos' and 'The Shield' air uncensored on network television, as well as movies such as 'A Clockwork Orange', 'Sirens', 'Cat People' and 'Close My Eyes'. Even our regular network-produced shows include it when appropriate. (I mean, how many times can you stage a scene in a strip bar and have the women all wearing bikinis?)
The only reason that our news broadcasts pixilated 'Nipplegate' was because that's how it arrived from the US host feed.

This is one of the things I asbolutely hate about the US.

It's the "moral majority", they tell the rest of us what we can see and do. Religious groups carry out bogus letter writing campaigns to networks and government officials to control what we watch on tv. I'm serious, I had a high school friend that went nuts and became a "born again Southern Baptist" and made me crazy until I went to one of their prayer meetings. The meeting topic that night was to organize a letter writing campaign to get the tv comedy "Soap" taken off the air. The preacher said that every one letter to the network was considered to represent 10,000 similar views from the public. There were letter templates, so members didn't have to think of anything to write. They were told to do as many as they could, with different names and the church clerks would be mailing them from different locations.

I was disgusted.

iforgotmyname said:
why is the naked body a very bad thing in the american culture. its not a sin to be naked adam and eve clothed themselves, God didnt make them were clothes.

just post what you think

The naked body exposes the reproductive organs. Humans are members of a small club in the animal kingdom capable of - and prone to - engaging in sex during any part of the reproductive cycle, as well as during any part of the year.

Because of this constant availability, the exhibition of our sexual organs sends a very strong message about our readiness for sex, i.e 'I am ready' - which means we are saying I am ready 24/7/365.

Now, another club that humans are a member of is monogamy. Sex is a private act between a couple, not a group experience.

Sending a very public message of readiness, that really is meant to be for only one, is a bad idea.

Evo said:
It's the "moral majority", they tell the rest of us what we can see and do.
While
I recognize and sympathize with your frustration, does it occur to you that you are also part of a moral majority? Not on this issue, no, but there are surely 50,000 issues that the country does that you DO agree with, and you sure want the country to oblige.

We, as a society have the right and obligation to make decisions about how we want our society to work. No two people will have the exact same list of preferences.

Just food for thought.

(Ooh, of course, when I say WE, I mean you Yanks :) )

The 'Moral Majority' is neither. :grumpy:

DaveC426913 said:
While
I recognize and sympathize with your frustration, does it occur to you that you are also part of a moral majority? Not on this issue, no, but there are surely 50,000 issues that the country does that you DO agree with, and you sure want the country to oblige.

Ummm...no. The moral majority is more like a cult.

Just a fun little aspect of Judeo-Christian morality. I find it a bit funny that violence is considered acceptable while the human body is not, but it is not hurting anyone as such, so whatever. I suppose it isn't your right to get your boob fix on network TV.

The history of Puritans in America
http://www.nd.edu/~rbarger/www7/puritans.html

There was an offshoot of the Shakers I think, in which sex was only allowed through a hole in the sheet. And the traditional Shakers were completely celibate. I guess that's why they made so much furniture. :biggrin:

Also, a related news item.
Florida woman discovered the image of Jesus - on a crisp.

http://www.ananova.com/images/web/295644.jpg [Broken]

"We may sell it - I'm not really sure."
http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_1423248.html?menu= [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
Ivan Seeking said:
Also, a related news item.

:rofl:

That's priceless.

EDIT: Hey guys, I'm new here. I'm digging the site a whole lot, there's a huge amount of knowledge on these boards. I was wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of a rules thread, or anything else I need to be aware of to make sure that I'm keeping within the expectations of this board?

Last edited:
Ivan Seeking said:
Florida woman discovered the image of Jesus - on a crisp.
http://www.ananova.com/images/web/295644.jpg [Broken]
[/URL]
Are you sure that's not a Corgi?

Last edited by a moderator:
SamuelGreen800 said:
:rofl:

That's priceless.

EDIT: Hey guys, I'm new here. I'm digging the site a whole lot, there's a huge amount of knowledge on these boards. I was wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of a rules thread, or anything else I need to be aware of to make sure that I'm keeping within the expectations of this board?

Welcome to PF SamuelGreen800. :smile:

These are the posting guidelines.
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=5374

Evo said:
It's the "moral majority", they tell the rest of us what we can see and do. Religious groups carry out bogus letter writing campaigns to networks and government officials to control what we watch on tv. I'm serious, I had a high school friend that went nuts and became a "born again Southern Baptist" and made me crazy until I went to one of their prayer meetings. The meeting topic that night was to organize a letter writing campaign to get the tv comedy "Soap" taken off the air. The preacher said that every one letter to the network was considered to represent 10,000 similar views from the public. There were letter templates, so members didn't have to think of anything to write. They were told to do as many as they could, with different names and the church clerks would be mailing them from different locations.

I was disgusted.

Perhaps PFers should start mailing the major networks with disgust at the lack of celebration of the human form on TV, and demand that there be more nuidity on prime-time television. Preferebly one shot of full frontal nuidity or more per evening.

Evo said:
They were told to do as many as they could, with different names and the church clerks would be mailing them from different locations.
I guess sometimes in order to prevent corruption you need to encourage corruption. Hm, I will ponder that.
Are you sure this wasn't a government meeting??

Hmm... Perhaps if we showed more skin, people in the US wouldn't be so fat. Connection...?

no that would probably hurt it because of the american culture. they would sit in front of the TV more and eat more

lol this topic interests me a lot. i hate the fcc so much as well as the groups that back it and force it to do their bidding. one such group is this one www.afa.net . these people are freakin crazy lmao. i think its funny because they forget all the christian art from the middle ages which depicted nude people all over the place

i wish someone would step up like a martin luther king of free speech on tv and put an end to the fcc

Chi Meson said:
Hmm... Perhaps if we showed more skin, people in the US wouldn't be so fat. Connection...?

That does seem to work when people are showing their own skin. I've lived most of my life in coastal California and almost no one here is fat - most of the people are downright beautiful. I'm sure part of that is the pressure to look good on the beach or at least in clothing that shows a lot of skin.

1. Why is nudity considered taboo in American culture?

There are several historical and cultural reasons for the taboo surrounding nudity in American culture. One of the main reasons is the influence of Puritanism, which emphasized modesty and abstinence. Additionally, America has a strong capitalist culture that often objectifies and sexualizes the human body, leading to discomfort and shame around nudity. Furthermore, the media and popular culture often portray nudity in a negative or sexualized manner, reinforcing the taboo.

2. How does the taboo on nudity affect individuals in American society?

The taboo on nudity can have a negative impact on individuals in American society. It can lead to body shaming and insecurities, as well as a distorted view of what a "normal" body should look like. This can also contribute to a lack of body acceptance and self-esteem issues. Additionally, the taboo can limit individuals' freedom of expression and self-expression, as well as restrict their ability to fully embrace their own bodies.

3. Is the taboo on nudity unique to American culture?

No, the taboo on nudity is not unique to American culture. Many other cultures also have strict norms and taboos surrounding nudity. However, the degree and specific reasons for these taboos may vary from culture to culture. In some cultures, nudity is seen as a form of art or expression, while in others it is heavily stigmatized.

4. Are there any potential benefits to breaking the taboo on nudity?

Yes, there are potential benefits to breaking the taboo on nudity. By challenging societal norms and promoting body positivity, individuals can feel more comfortable and confident in their own bodies. This can also lead to more open and healthy discussions about body image and self-acceptance. Additionally, breaking the taboo can help combat objectification and promote a more equal and respectful society.

5. How can we work towards breaking the taboo on nudity in American culture?

Breaking the taboo on nudity requires a collective effort from individuals, institutions, and society as a whole. This can involve promoting body positivity and acceptance, challenging societal norms and stigmas, and educating people about the harmful effects of the taboo. Additionally, supporting and embracing diverse forms of self-expression can help break down barriers and promote a more accepting and inclusive culture.