Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Think Infinite and not the finite

1. Jun 3, 2005 #1
    Why every one is so afraid from the term infinity?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 3, 2005 #2
    Because it has three eyes?

4. Jun 3, 2005 #3

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Naah, it is scaly and green and lives in a swamp.
    Besides, it slurps a lot.

5. Jun 3, 2005 #4

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

I'm not a big fan of the cars and their commercials really get on my nerves.

6. Jun 3, 2005 #5

Not as bad as the Sport Ka commercial where the car cut the head off a cat with the sun roof.

7. Jun 3, 2005 #6
    The car is infiniti not infinity :rofl: :rofl: :surprised

I wouldn't mind owning a G35 though :approve:

8. Jun 3, 2005 #7
    because they don't understand it. math people are used to it though so they aren't afraid.

"in math you don't understand things, you just get used to them." -- john von neumann

9. Jun 3, 2005 #8

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Only a few cardinalities cause me concern. The cardinality of the set of all cardinalities bothers me a lot.

10. Jun 3, 2005 #9

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

For good reason, I think. I'd imagine the class of cardinal numbers can't "fit" into a set.

(I know this is a paradox when dealing with the ordinal numbers -- it's even named after someone! The class of cardinal numbers is less well-behaved, I can't be sure it's a paradox for there to be a set of cardinal numbers)

11. Jun 3, 2005 #10

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:cry: :cry: :cry: It's even worse than I thought!

I'm afraid.

12. Jun 3, 2005 #11

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I reckon the "fear of infinity" is a pretty natural thing, for humans. Most of us live in a world where the size of elementary particlesis incomprehensibly small, and the speed of light is incomprehensibly large.

Even when we can quantitise these factors in terms of things which are familiar to us, their respective orders are so small/big that they can get the better of us sometimes.

13. Jun 3, 2005 #12

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If you're talking about a sense of scale, it's pretty clear that people generally lack that even in more "human" cases. For example, if something has a one in a million chance of happing each day, how many people do you think would agree that it happens once a day in Detroit? (On average)

I've heard it stated that one of mankind's greatest inadequacies is that we don't fathom just how fast the exponential function grows.

14. Jun 3, 2005 #13

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Honestly, this is the first time I've ever heard of such a fear. :confused: What's to fear? It's just a fallen 8. :biggrin:

15. Jun 3, 2005 #14

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

So sheltered, so deluded, yet so content... :wink:

16. Jun 3, 2005 #15

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

No kidding, like anyone's afraid of aleph-0. :rolleyes:

Risk benefit analysis agrees that it makes sense to buy one lottery ticket now and again. Proof of Hurkyl's point is found every time that someone buys more than one ticket.

Oh yes, for anyone who remembers, it seems that my cousin really didn't win the lottery twice. Instead, grandma's [not my grandma] bank account was raided twice. :eek: I should have guessed when they claimed to win a second time! :rolleyes: About $100K all totalled I think. Grandma is in a home, you see.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?