1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Think tank job.

1. Sep 2, 2012 #1
    What kind of jobs can I do were I would solve random math or physics problems or work in some kind of think tank. And were could I get a job? More specific the better.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 2, 2012 #2

chiro

Science Advisor

There are many kinds of think tanks.

One example of a military "think-tank" is the RAND corporation.

You have a lot of these kinds of entities that focus on particular areas like economical, military, geo-political amongst others.

You also have special conferences and meetings that gather together leading people from a variety of different fields that discuss a wide range of things not limited to one specific area.

There also analysts of all kinds within agencies like the NSA.

You also have academics who do a lot of consultancy work with a wide range of other entities like corporations and the government.

One example of a mathematician who did a lot of consultancy work with both large corporations and the military was John Von Neumann and he is not the only one.

4. Sep 4, 2012 #3

jk

Using Von Neumann as an example is like telling someone interested in getting into basketball to look at the career of Michael Jordan. It's not likely to be relevant

Last edited: Sep 4, 2012
  5. Sep 4, 2012 #4

chiro

Science Advisor

He asked for an example of a think tank guy: Von Neumann was that guy.

Think tanks want exceptional people and they have the resources and the means to get them.

6. Sep 5, 2012 #5
    You could work at a community college :)

You can solve any type of problem from math or science in your own classroom :)

Last edited: Sep 5, 2012
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook