Underwater Activity at Big Oil Spill Site

• Thread starter edward
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Act
In summary, there has been a lot of underwater activity at the site of the big oil spill, with equipment being brought down and installed by ROVs. One particular container caught the attention of the conversation participant. There is also a link to underwater cameras for those interested. The conversation also expresses hope for the success of a new containment attempt and concern about the ongoing situation. Additionally, there is a mention of an incident involving an ROV and a cable.
edward
For the past several days there has been a lot of underwater activity going on at the site of the big oil spill.

Equipment coming down and going up, ROV'S are moving around and apparently installing a lot of equipment for the newest containment attempt

This one container in particular caught my eye so I snagged it from the video.

http://i30.tinypic.com/34tbk77.jpg

EDIT:

Here is the link for the underwater cams if anyone is interested. Things seem to have quieted down. Hopefully this new contraption works

http://www.wkrg.com/gulf_oil_spill/spill_cams/

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Sweet sticker.

edward said:
EDIT:

Here is the link for the underwater cams if anyone is interested. Things seem to have quieted down. Hopefully this new contraption works

http://www.wkrg.com/gulf_oil_spill/spill_cams/

Yep, neat sticker.

And, keeping our fingers crossed, yes, I really, really, really hope that new cap makes a bigger difference than the last one until they can get the relief well going and then the further proper stuff in place. Every time I think about that thing my stomach literally feels queasy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Perhaps they aren't thinking at all. I just watched the BP ROV I cutting tie down cables with a circular saw. The cable now is terminally wrapped around the shaft of the saw.

The saw was mounted on one arm of the ROV. The operator then used the other arm to try and pull the cable loose. It ended up wrapped tighter.

Edit: Here is a stil pic

http://i28.tinypic.com/28ckhvs.jpg

Last edited:

As a scientist, it is encouraging to see that there is a lot of activity happening at the site of the big oil spill. This indicates that efforts are being made to contain and clean up the spill. The use of ROVs and equipment installation is a common approach in offshore oil spills, and it is important to continuously monitor the situation to assess the effectiveness of these efforts.

The container that was mentioned in the post could potentially be a part of a new containment attempt, which is a positive development. It is crucial to continue to monitor and document the activities at the site to understand the progress being made in containing the spill.

I would also like to remind everyone that although the underwater activity may have quieted down, the effects of the oil spill are still ongoing and will require long-term monitoring and remediation efforts. It is important to stay vigilant and continue to work towards finding sustainable solutions to prevent and respond to future oil spills.

1. What types of underwater activity are taking place at the Big Oil Spill site?

There are several types of underwater activity taking place at the Big Oil Spill site, including containment and cleanup efforts, monitoring of the spill's impact on marine life, and research to understand the long-term effects of the spill on the ocean ecosystem.

2. How are scientists studying the impacts of the oil spill on marine life?

Scientists are using a variety of methods to study the impacts of the oil spill on marine life. This includes collecting water and sediment samples, conducting surveys of fish and other marine species, and using satellite imagery to track changes in the ocean environment.

3. What technologies are being used to clean up the oil spill?

There are several technologies being used to clean up the oil spill, including skimmers, booms, and dispersants. Skimmers are boats that collect oil from the surface of the water, while booms are floating barriers that contain the oil and prevent it from spreading. Dispersants are chemicals that break up the oil into smaller droplets, making it easier for bacteria to digest.

4. How long will it take for the ecosystem to recover from the oil spill?

The recovery time for the ecosystem after an oil spill varies depending on the severity of the spill and the type of ecosystem affected. In some cases, it can take years or even decades for the ecosystem to fully recover. However, with proper cleanup and restoration efforts, the ecosystem can begin to recover and thrive again.

5. What long-term effects could the oil spill have on the ocean ecosystem?

The long-term effects of an oil spill on the ocean ecosystem can include damage to marine habitats, loss of biodiversity, and impacts on the food chain. Oil can also have toxic effects on marine species, causing illnesses and even death. Additionally, the economic and social impacts of an oil spill can be long-lasting for coastal communities that rely on the ocean for their livelihoods.

Back