• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Thinking about a major switch

• Programs
  • Thread starter JasonJo
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

I am thinking about switching my double major from Applied Mathematics and Statistics (AMS) and Economics to AMS and Pure Mathematics with maybe a minor in economics.

I want to keep my two career options open: Actuary or going to grad school

However I have been hearing from some upper classmen that it is pointless to double major in AMS and MAT and that I may as well just major in MAT. or that I dont need to switch to AMS/MAT double to apply for grad school in mathematics (or maybe even physics)

any thoughts? i will be entering my sophomore year, so im not technically a declared major yet, but i probably will have to make that decision by the end of this year.

Answers and Replies

JasonJo said:
I am thinking about switching my double major from Applied Mathematics and Statistics (AMS) and Economics to AMS and Pure Mathematics with maybe a minor in economics.

I want to keep my two career options open: Actuary or going to grad school

However I have been hearing from some upper classmen that it is pointless to double major in AMS and MAT and that I may as well just major in MAT. or that I dont need to switch to AMS/MAT double to apply for grad school in mathematics (or maybe even physics)

any thoughts? i will be entering my sophomore year, so im not technically a declared major yet, but i probably will have to make that decision by the end of this year.

well, to help out other people in giving you advice...

is MAT the pure math program?

are you interested in doing pure math or applied math in grad school?