Thinking about a major switch

In summary, the individual is considering switching their double major from Applied Mathematics and Statistics and Economics to Applied Mathematics and Pure Mathematics with a possible minor in Economics. They are unsure if this switch will benefit their career options of becoming an actuary or attending grad school. They have received advice from upperclassmen stating that a double major in AMS and MAT may be pointless and that they do not necessarily need to switch to this double major for grad school in math or physics. They are currently a sophomore and will have to make a decision by the end of the year.
I am thinking about switching my double major from Applied Mathematics and Statistics (AMS) and Economics to AMS and Pure Mathematics with maybe a minor in economics.

I want to keep my two career options open: Actuary or going to grad school

However I have been hearing from some upper classmen that it is pointless to double major in AMS and MAT and that I may as well just major in MAT. or that I don't need to switch to AMS/MAT double to apply for grad school in mathematics (or maybe even physics)

any thoughts? i will be entering my sophomore year, so I am not technically a declared major yet, but i probably will have to make that decision by the end of this year.

Physics news on Phys.org
JasonJo said:
I am thinking about switching my double major from Applied Mathematics and Statistics (AMS) and Economics to AMS and Pure Mathematics with maybe a minor in economics.

I want to keep my two career options open: Actuary or going to grad school

However I have been hearing from some upper classmen that it is pointless to double major in AMS and MAT and that I may as well just major in MAT. or that I don't need to switch to AMS/MAT double to apply for grad school in mathematics (or maybe even physics)

any thoughts? i will be entering my sophomore year, so I am not technically a declared major yet, but i probably will have to make that decision by the end of this year.

well, to help out other people in giving you advice...

is MAT the pure math program?

are you interested in doing pure math or applied math in grad school?

It's great that you are considering your options and thinking about your future career path. Ultimately, the decision to switch your major should be based on your own personal interests and goals.

Firstly, it's important to note that both AMS and MAT are highly valued majors and can lead to various career opportunities. If you are interested in pursuing a career as an actuary, then having a strong background in both applied mathematics and statistics would be beneficial. However, if you are more interested in pursuing a career in academia or research, then a major in pure mathematics may be a better fit.

As for grad school, it's true that you don't necessarily need to have a double major in AMS and MAT to apply for a graduate program in mathematics or physics. Admissions committees are more interested in your overall academic performance and potential for research, rather than the specific majors you have. That being said, having a strong foundation in both applied and pure mathematics can make you a more well-rounded and competitive applicant.

It's also important to consider your own personal interests and strengths. If you are truly passionate about both applied and pure mathematics, then pursuing a double major may be the right choice for you. However, if you find that one area is more appealing to you, then it may be more beneficial to focus on that and potentially pursue a minor in the other subject.

Ultimately, the decision is yours and it's important to choose a path that aligns with your interests and goals. Don't let others' opinions discourage you from pursuing what you are truly interested in. Good luck with your decision!

What factors should I consider when thinking about switching my major?

When considering a major switch, it's important to think about your career goals, interests, strengths, and values. You should also consider the job market and potential earnings for your desired major.

Will switching my major delay my graduation?

It depends on the major you are switching to and the courses you have already taken. Some majors have specific course sequences that must be followed, while others have more flexibility. Talk to your academic advisor to determine the impact on your graduation timeline.

How will switching my major affect my financial aid?

Switching your major may affect your financial aid if it changes your enrollment status or if you have scholarships or grants specific to your current major. It's important to speak with your financial aid office to understand any potential changes and how to navigate them.

Can I switch my major multiple times?

Yes, you can switch your major multiple times. However, it's important to consider the potential impact on your graduation timeline and financial aid. It's also important to make sure the new major aligns with your interests and goals.

How can I make a smooth transition when switching my major?

To make a smooth transition when switching your major, it's important to communicate with your academic advisor, stay organized, and stay on top of any deadlines or requirements for your new major. It may also be helpful to connect with other students in the new major to gain insights and advice.

Suggested for: Thinking about a major switch

Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies