1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thinking about changing from Physics to Applied Mathematics/Pure mathematics

1. Jun 25, 2011 #1
    Hello, I'm currently in the 1st year of physics (doing the 2nd semester final tests/exams now).
    I'm thinking about going to applied math/math because:
    - I think a master in physics, in Portugal, probably won't have a job. I'm not sure about this, because I really don't know where to get this information. Any ideas by the way?
    - Physics doesn't have much mathematics disciplines in it, and much of it, from what I've heard, is taught in a hurry in physics classes. It only has 2 disciplines in the 2nd year: mathematical methods of physics and differential and integral calculus III. In the 3rd year there aren't any.
    - I like physics, but only the mathematical part of physics. I don't like solving mechanics problems for example, and the parts of physics that don't involve much mathematics (like the initial part of thermodynamics I've took a peek at) don't interest me either. And experimental physics - no way :rofl:. But in the end, I like to have physics knowledge, even though I was bored while studying. Circuits are a good example: I hated studying circuits (in electromagnetism discipline), but now looking back, I like to know how circuits work and the relations between current and magnetism. But on the other hand that's true for almost anything, like biology, chemistry, etc...
    Obviously I don't know much about physics or mathematics yet, but what I've liked studying so far in physics was Maxwell's equations (a cliché I guess :tongue2:). Lagrangians seem interesting too, though I haven't studied that. I guess that what I like is mathematical physics.

About the mathematics disciplines I've had, they were: differential and integral calculus I and II, linear algebra & analytic geometry and elements of probability and statistics. Calculus was my favourite discipline, but linear algebra & analytic geometry didn't interest me at all, because it was taught in a very abstract way (I didn't even see any geometry in it) and I saw no use to it. Now I understand the importance of linear algebra, and with a book of linear algebra I got, that shows examples applications of linear algebra and it relates more the linear algebra to geometry, maybe I'd like it more now.
    I hated 'elements of probability and statistics', but even in high school I didn't like probabilities at all. This could be a problem for applied maths, because it has a lot of statistics and probability.

I'm very unsure about this... I'd like to know abstract mathematics (which I intend to learn if I keep studying physics anyway), but I don't think I'd like learning it in depth. I'd only like to learn abstract maths so I can apply it to other disciplines, like physics, economics, finance, etc...

Anyone in a similar situation as me, or does anyone have any advice? Thanks!

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted