Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thinking about drawing

1. May 29, 2005 #1
    I have some questions, so if you like to joke or anything--offtopical points are also welcomed..:wink:

In order to draw something, we need a pen and a paper, so if we don't use the pen, what can we use ?

Second, when we draw something we can use crayons or color pens to add colors to the pictures, but beside such a boring color addition, what else could you think up to add to your painting ?
    In my case, i use a little bottle full of ink to spread around the picture but not to make it dirty. How about yours ?

2. jcsd
  3. May 29, 2005 #2
    i use a pencil, not a pen

4. May 29, 2005 #3
    So what else will you do to complete your painting ? You also can give an example of a painting you draw or someof the people you know or some of your relatives did before ? Some descriptions please..

5. May 29, 2005 #4
    I've used the coal end of a burned twig to draw with, then colored it with my fingers dabbed in red clay.
    A lump of Talcum{or other soft mineral} on dark paper works well too.
    In the middle east, Ive seen pictures made by pulling single stands of cotton{as fine as spider webbing} through indigo cloth.

6. May 29, 2005 #5
    Some other ideas come up to mind, please post...A bunch of thanks to you all. :wink:

7. May 29, 2005 #6

matthyaouw

Gold Member

I've seen a landscape picture done entirely in human hair. The artist was a coroner. Nice...

8. May 29, 2005 #7

Lisa!

Gold Member

writing or painting!

I usually don't use colors.I just paint and write some poems.When I was a child I painted and tried to make a story about the picture.Without having a story in my mind,I never painted.

9. May 29, 2005 #8
    use the blood from your fingers (you will need a pencil to pierce them) or use your own ****, like Marquis De Sade did when he was in jail...

marlon

10. May 29, 2005 #9
    Hmmmmmmm...........????????????????

11. May 29, 2005 #10

Danger

Gold Member

Most of my hand drawn stuff is sketches for mechanical designs, so I use whichever is handiest. (I always have a .5mm mechanical pencil and pen in my pocket, so whichever one comes out first is used.) If I'm doing art type stuff, which is rare, I use the pencil. All of my 5th Dementia cartoons are done completely in Illustrator. (I can actually do a lot better than than, but why waste the time and effort on a gag?)
    One that I didn't see above is wood-burning, with a soldering iron or such like. Really, as long as you have a medium and substrate of some kind to put it on, the possibilities are endless.

12. May 29, 2005 #11
    well, i use pen when i'm drawing. i like not being able to erase. i always press kinda hard when i finalize my lines, because i have faint scribbles everywhere. and so it makes bumps, and then sometimes, i'll take my drawings, and lay another piece of paper over it, and then do that thing with a crayon so it makes lines where there's bumps. i forget what thats called... but it looks neat, cause its my same drawing, just in a new way...

13. May 29, 2005 #12

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You can use charcoal, or pastels (they're crayon-like, but much softer), ink, pencils (you can get a variety of hardnesses for those to suit your tastes or the effect you're going for), paints, markers, or a drawing palette on the computer. If you like the dirty, smudged look, charcoal, pastels and soft pencils are all very nice for creating that effect, as well as for just softer lines with some very light smudging. Painting with watercolors will allow you to get that effect too.

I haven't played with any real drawing since junior high and high school art classes, but it's one of those things I keep contemplating doing again as a hobby. Not that I'd be any good at it, but sitting around keeping my hands occupied sketching stuff sometimes gets my mind back to thinking more creatively again when I get stuck in a rut. Like today, it's a pretty day outside, and would be nice to just sit out with a sketchbook if I had one on hand. Hmm..maybe I'll just go grab some paper and colored pencils and doodle for a while anyway. :biggrin:

14. May 29, 2005 #13
    Try the water color pencils moonbear, when your done sketching, you can take a small brush-w-water and it turns into a water color. I've had alot of fun with it.

15. May 29, 2005 #14
    I love colored pencils. Prismacolors.

16. May 29, 2005 #15

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I was going to scan in some of my small drawings and they're gone. :cry: I am so upset!!!! Someone moved them. :frown:

Here is a little comic my older daughter did when she was 11-12. Unfortunately you can't see the outline of the poodle clearly. I need to have her send me some of her more recent stuff.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 29, 2005
  17. May 29, 2005 #16
    Evo, I can't see them. Can't you PM Evo and tell her your waiting for an approval?

18. May 29, 2005 #17

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Damn, they're huge. :frown:

19. May 29, 2005 #18
    She was only 11 and those are 20 times better than all the Paint cr@p people have posted lately.

20. May 29, 2005 #19

Danger

Gold Member

That's great! I like her sense of humour.

21. May 29, 2005 #20

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Sounds like those books I had as a kid...you know, where they have them dotted with watercolor inks and you just "paint" with water. :biggrin:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?