• Start date

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
brewnog said:
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=76518&page=5

Post 72 ish.

I don't care if you don't like it, FredGarvin was blown away, and Danger's still drooling. Simple things...
At least we knew what your drawing was! :biggrin: Well, the first one anyway. The second one I could have held upside down and never known it. :rofl:

brewnog

Science Advisor
Gold Member
Moonbear said:
At least we knew what your drawing was! :biggrin: Well, the first one anyway. The second one I could have held upside down and never known it. :rofl:
Don't worry, it's taken me 3 years of study to be able to produce those, I wouldn't expect you to be able to appreciate it. :tongue:

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Okay, here's my lame drawing from this afternoon. I got lazy and took a picture of it instead of fussing with the scanner, so aside from being a bit light, there are weird shadows around the corners, but it'll do. Maybe tomorrow I'll fill in some of the background around it, though it's currently at the stage it's most likely to look best (it's only going to get worse as I add in things like trees and lawn :rofl:).

http://img174.echo.cx/img174/2813/deck3uq.jpg

Hmm...actually, I'm just noticing that shrunken down here, it looks better than the original. :redface: That's pretty pathetic. :frown:

Danger

Gold Member
Moonbear said:
Okay, here's my lame drawing from this afternoon.
That's pretty good, Moonie. I don't know why you were worried about your handling of perspective. It looks spot-on to me. It's also quite neat to have those bits of colour in an otherwise B&W image. :approve:

Evo

Mentor
MB, that's very pretty!!!!! But you know, it looks like a brain. :tongue2:

Sorry, I couldn't resist. It is very pretty! :tongue:

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Danger said:
That's pretty good, Moonie. I don't know why you were worried about your handling of perspective. It looks spot-on to me.
Well, what's really funny is that it's not what I was intending to draw. I was sitting on my deck drawing that, but it appears to be more the way I imagine you'd see it as viewed from the roof! I had to fill in stuff that I couldn't see because the perspective got skewed.
It's also quite neat to have those bits of colour in an otherwise B&W image. :approve:
Now you're really giving me more credit than I deserve. It's a color sketch. The flower pot thing is white (in reality too), the rest is all in color. It just doesn't show up too well in a photo of a light drawing. But, pretty much everything I was drawing there uses straight lines, so it's a lot easier than when I get to drawing landscape and stuff like that. Then it starts to look like a child drew it (and even worse if I try to draw in any animals or people). Um, so, yeah, in retrospect, you're right, that would have been really cool to do as a B&W sketch and then just draw in the pink flowers. Maybe I can try that variation another day. It was kind of nice to just sit out on the deck this afternoon with all my colored pencils drawing. :biggrin:

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Evo said:
MB, that's very pretty!!!!! But you know, it looks like a brain. :tongue2:
Wait until I try adding a tree in. Maybe if I try drawing it to look like a brain, it might look like a tree. :rofl:

Sorry, I couldn't resist. It is very pretty! :tongue:
Those are the flowers I planted last weekend. :approve: My drawing doesn't do them justice.

well... since moonbear posted a drawing.. i kinda...

well, here's something i did. its weird, most of my friends hate it or love it. eh... i like it, and thats what really matters, but um, whatever i'm gonna share. I also think its better zoomed in a little... but thats me. i like the details. http://www.memetika.com/media/341_409_193025155lGDJUB_fs.jpg [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:

Danger

Gold Member
Gale17 said:
well, here's something i did
That's pretty cool, in a squirrelly sort of way. Doesn't fit on my monitor, though, so I have to scroll around it.

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Gale17 said:
well... since moonbear posted a drawing.. i kinda...

well, here's something i did. its weird, most of my friends hate it or love it. eh... i like it, and thats what really matters, but um, whatever i'm gonna share. I also think its better zoomed in a little... but thats me. i like the details. http://www.memetika.com/media/341_409_193025155lGDJUB_fs.jpg [Broken]
I notice it's on notebook paper...just how boring was the class you were drawing that one in?! :rofl:
That's a lot more like what I would consider abstract art. My eyes were really drawn to that road in a star for some reason. Pretty nifty.

My notebook doodles are much more doodle-like. Just patterns of lines and swirls, nothing recognizable as anything.

Oh, speaking of doodles, when I was doing my post-doc, I was sitting in on one of the med classes my mentor was teaching just to get an idea of the content of such a course for my own future knowledge for teaching, so of course I sat way in the back out of the way of all the students...sitting right in front of me, this guy started doodling, and as the class progressed, I realized he was drawing a caricature of my mentor...it was actually pretty good! :rofl: It would have been even better if this wasn't a med school class and this future physician wasn't paying a damned bit of attention to the lecture on reproductive physiology! :grumpy:

Moonbear said:
I notice it's on notebook paper...just how boring was the class you were drawing that one in?! :rofl:
That's a lot more like what I would consider abstract art. My eyes were really drawn to that road in a star for some reason. Pretty nifty.
hmm, i don't remember if i drew it in class or not, but it took me days. i prefer drawing on notebook paper.... seems more... something... and i like the pen too... i'm really sensitive about my drawings cause some people hate them or make fun...

anyways, i started drawing, and this was my first thing.
http://www.memetika.com/media/M_409_193025226nlOcbj_ph.jpg [Broken]
this one was my attempt at some skill...
http://www.memetika.com/media/M_409_193025396qTYcgi_ph.jpg [Broken]

i like the abstract stuff.... its very much how my mind works. and my prose for that matter. i'm kinda all over the place sometimes.... anyways...

sorry danger, these are also big... my browser shrinks them automatically.

oh, hey, i have an actual doodle here as well..
http://www.memetika.com/media/M_409_Doodle.jpg [Broken]

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Gale17 said:
hmm, i don't remember if i drew it in class or not, but it took me days. i prefer drawing on notebook paper.... seems more... something... and i like the pen too... i'm really sensitive about my drawings cause some people hate them or make fun...

anyways, i started drawing, and this was my first thing.
http://www.memetika.com/media/M_409_193025226nlOcbj_ph.jpg [Broken]
That seems more like surrealism than abstract. It struck me as very Dali-esque!

this one was my attempt at some skill...
http://www.memetika.com/media/M_409_193025396qTYcgi_ph.jpg [Broken]
The stick figures in the glass of water made me laugh (especially the two fighting at the bottom :biggrin:). The rest is quite good.

oh, hey, i have an actual doodle here as well..
http://www.memetika.com/media/M_409_Doodle.jpg [Broken]
Pretty elaborate doodle there! Inspired by Mushroom, mushroom!!??? :biggrin: Hey, that guy in that doodle has the same top hat as you had in the other drawing! You must like drawing top hats.

Moonbear said:
That seems more like surrealism than abstract. It struck me as very Dali-esque!

The stick figures in the glass of water made me laugh (especially the two fighting at the bottom :biggrin:). The rest is quite good.

Pretty elaborate doodle there! Inspired by Mushroom, mushroom!!??? :biggrin: Hey, that guy in that doodle has the same top hat as you had in the other drawing! You must like drawing top hats.
i get the dali thing a lot. i didn't even know who he was till someone said my art was similar... now i'm a fan. i was really proud of the water distortion though. and yes, i like top hats, clocks, guitars, pedastals and trees. is it odd to draw certain things often? think it means something?

There is a subtractive medium called Scratch Board. It's a piece of card stock coated with clay and a thin top coat of ink. You take the handle for an ink pot pen and put a special "scratch nib" in it instead of a pen nib and you use this to scratch lines into the ink layer. They also make scratch board with multiple layers of ink, each a different colour.

TheStatutoryApe said:
There is a subtractive medium called Scratch Board. It's a piece of card stock coated with clay and a thin top coat of ink. You take the handle for an ink pot pen and put a special "scratch nib" in it instead of a pen nib and you use this to scratch lines into the ink layer. They also make scratch board with multiple layers of ink, each a different colour.
ya, thats fun, you can make your own too. we used to draw pretty colors in colored pencil onto paper, then you cover it all with black crayon, then scratch it off to make cool drawings.

These are a bit small but at full size they are really big.
e728226c54a8081at.jpg
1a4e51e676c3cbe4t.jpg

I haven't worked on any art in quite some time. It's rather depressing.

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Gale17 said:
i get the dali thing a lot. i didn't even know who he was till someone said my art was similar... now i'm a fan.
I really like Dali myself.
is it odd to draw certain things often?
It probably depends on what you draw often. Those things in your list seem pretty normal.
think it means something?
Yep, you're good at drawing those things, or they have shapes you enjoy drawing. :biggrin: Actually, only you can answer that.

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
TheStatutoryApe said:
These are a bit small but at full size they are really big.
e728226c54a8081at.jpg
1a4e51e676c3cbe4t.jpg

I haven't worked on any art in quite some time. It's rather depressing.
Very good. You make the rest of us look like kindergarteners!

Hey, maybe we can fix up enigma with that winged woman! :biggrin:

Danger

Gold Member
Gale17 said:
i'm really sensitive about my drawings cause some people hate them or make fun...
I really like those, especially the 2nd one with the flying baby. Sort of reminds me of Terry Gilliam's drawings for Monty Python. And that's a really good drawing of the dude in the doodle (is that why the call it that?). I notice that he has feet like Moonbear, though.
Don't worry about the size. I just copy it into Illustrator and zoom out.
Mr. Ape, I can't see yours.

Moonbear said:
Very good. You make the rest of us look like kindergarteners!

Hey, maybe we can fix up enigma with that winged woman! :biggrin:
Thank you Moonbear. :blushing:
I think everyone's drawings look very nice. Generally when I look at the artwork of others I feel like mine is inferior. I think style plays a big part in it. Mine is more or less borrowed from the comic books I read as a kid so they tend to look childish to me.

Danger said:
Mr. Ape, I can't see yours
Sorry Danger. They seem to kinda come and go. Until Moonbear commented I wasn't sure tehy were showing up properly or not. I think you'd like the winged lady she was refering to though. ;-)

Danger

Gold Member
TheStatutoryApe said:
Sorry Danger. They seem to kinda come and go. Until Moonbear commented I wasn't sure tehy were showing up properly or not. I think you'd like the winged lady she was refering to though. ;-)
You stashed them, perhaps, as bitmaps? Normally those work okay, but I couldn't see some here until Evo converted them to jpegs. Doesn't make sense why I can access them on some sites and not on others.

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
TheStatutoryApe said:
At first they showed up as broken links, then I clicked "quote" and copied the URLs to view them, and they showed up okay after that. I thought you fixed something between when I first viewed them and when I clicked "quote."