Drawing Questions: Pen Alternatives & Color Additions

In summary, the conversation revolves around different mediums and techniques for drawing and painting. Some off-topic points such as using blood or other unconventional materials are also mentioned. The participants share their personal preferences and experiences with different tools and methods, including using pencils, markers, charcoal, watercolor pencils, and computer programs. Examples of drawings and paintings are also shared. Overall, the conversation is a creative and lively discussion about art.
Sadmemo
I have some questions, so if you like to joke or anything--offtopical points are also welcomed..:wink:

In order to draw something, we need a pen and a paper, so if we don't use the pen, what can we use ?

Second, when we draw something we can use crayons or color pens to add colors to the pictures, but beside such a boring color addition, what else could you think up to add to your painting ?
In my case, i use a little bottle full of ink to spread around the picture but not to make it dirty. How about yours ?

Physics news on Phys.org
i use a pencil, not a pen

So what else will you do to complete your painting ? You also can give an example of a painting you draw or someof the people you know or some of your relatives did before ? Some descriptions please..

I've used the coal end of a burned twig to draw with, then colored it with my fingers dabbed in red clay.
A lump of Talcum{or other soft mineral} on dark paper works well too.
In the middle east, I've seen pictures made by pulling single stands of cotton{as fine as spider webbing} through indigo cloth.

Some other ideas come up to mind, please post...A bunch of thanks to you all. :wink:

I've seen a landscape picture done entirely in human hair. The artist was a coroner. Nice...

writing or painting!

Sadmemo said:
I have some questions, so if you like to joke or anything--offtopical points are also welcomed..:wink:

In order to draw something, we need a pen and a paper, so if we don't use the pen, what can we use ?

Sadmemo said:
Second, when we draw something we can use crayons or color pens to add colors to the pictures, but beside such a boring color addition, what else could you think up to add to your painting ?
I usually don't use colors.I just paint and write some poems.When I was a child I painted and tried to make a story about the picture.Without having a story in my mind,I never painted.

Sadmemo said:
Some other ideas come up to mind, please post...A bunch of thanks to you all. :wink:

use the blood from your fingers (you will need a pencil to pierce them) or use your own ****, like Marquis De Sade did when he was in jail...

marlon

marlon said:
use the blood from your fingers (you will need a pencil to pierce them) or use your own ****, like Marquis De Sade did when he was in jail...

marlon
Hmmmmmmm...??

Most of my hand drawn stuff is sketches for mechanical designs, so I use whichever is handiest. (I always have a .5mm mechanical pencil and pen in my pocket, so whichever one comes out first is used.) If I'm doing art type stuff, which is rare, I use the pencil. All of my 5th Dementia cartoons are done completely in Illustrator. (I can actually do a lot better than than, but why waste the time and effort on a gag?)
One that I didn't see above is wood-burning, with a soldering iron or such like. Really, as long as you have a medium and substrate of some kind to put it on, the possibilities are endless.

well, i use pen when I'm drawing. i like not being able to erase. i always press kinda hard when i finalize my lines, because i have faint scribbles everywhere. and so it makes bumps, and then sometimes, i'll take my drawings, and lay another piece of paper over it, and then do that thing with a crayon so it makes lines where there's bumps. i forget what that's called... but it looks neat, cause its my same drawing, just in a new way...

You can use charcoal, or pastels (they're crayon-like, but much softer), ink, pencils (you can get a variety of hardnesses for those to suit your tastes or the effect you're going for), paints, markers, or a drawing palette on the computer. If you like the dirty, smudged look, charcoal, pastels and soft pencils are all very nice for creating that effect, as well as for just softer lines with some very light smudging. Painting with watercolors will allow you to get that effect too.

I haven't played with any real drawing since junior high and high school art classes, but it's one of those things I keep contemplating doing again as a hobby. Not that I'd be any good at it, but sitting around keeping my hands occupied sketching stuff sometimes gets my mind back to thinking more creatively again when I get stuck in a rut. Like today, it's a pretty day outside, and would be nice to just sit out with a sketchbook if I had one on hand. Hmm..maybe I'll just go grab some paper and colored pencils and doodle for a while anyway. :biggrin:

Try the water color pencils moonbear, when your done sketching, you can take a small brush-w-water and it turns into a water color. I've had a lot of fun with it.

Moonbear said:
Hmm..maybe I'll just go grab some paper and colored pencils and doodle for a while anyway. :biggrin:
I love colored pencils. Prismacolors.

I was going to scan in some of my small drawings and they're gone. :cry: I am so upset! Someone moved them. :frown:

Here is a little comic my older daughter did when she was 11-12. Unfortunately you can't see the outline of the poodle clearly. I need to have her send me some of her more recent stuff.

Attachments

• page 1.JPG
    page 1.JPG
    26 KB · Views: 409
  • page 2.JPG
    page 2.JPG
    19.6 KB · Views: 383
  • page 3.JPG
    page 3.JPG
    21.7 KB · Views: 393
Last edited:
Evo, I can't see them. Can't you PM Evo and tell her your waiting for an approval?

Damn, they're huge. :frown:

Evo said:
Damn, they're huge. :frown:
She was only 11 and those are 20 times better than all the Paint cr@p people have posted lately.

Evo said:
Here is a little comic my older daughter did when she was 11-12.
That's great! I like her sense of humour.

hypatia said:
Try the water color pencils moonbear, when your done sketching, you can take a small brush-w-water and it turns into a water color. I've had a lot of fun with it.
Sounds like those books I had as a kid...you know, where they have them dotted with watercolor inks and you just "paint" with water. :biggrin:

Evo said:
Here is a little comic my older daughter did when she was 11-12. Unfortunately you can't see the outline of the poodle clearly. I need to have her send me some of her more recent stuff.
:rofl: Oh, that's great! You can even see the look of disdain on the poodle's face! :rofl:

I did go out and doodle for a while, but the sun started going down and the shadows kept moving, so I had to stop...I already draw badly enough to wind up with an oddly skewed perspective, I didn't need all the shadows in different places as the sun moved too. :rofl: I don't know if what I've drawn so far will scan well. I might try later...what the heck, I've already posted a picture of my foot, how much more could I possibly embarrass myself at this point? :rofl:

Moonbear said:
Sounds like those books I had as a kid...you know, where they have them dotted with watercolor inks and you just "paint" with water. :biggrin:
What she is talking about look exactly like colored pencils, and they go on the paper just like colored pencils. However, they are water soluble, unlike regular colored pencils. You can get a "watercolor" effect by dissolving strategic parts with a brush and water. Thay are just as expensive as good colored pencils, too.

However, I don't use water color pencils. I love the regular colored pencils.

Moonbear said:
how much more could I possibly embarrass myself at this point? :rofl:
That depends. Does your scanner work with the lid open?

zoobyshoe said:
She was only 11 and those are 20 times better than all the Paint cr@p people have posted lately.

That better not have been aimed at me.

brewnog said:
That better not have been aimed at me.
I can't say yet. Link me to it if you dare.

brewnog said:
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=76518&page=5

Post 72 ish.

I don't care if you don't like it, FredGarvin was blown away, and Danger's still drooling. Simple things...
At least we knew what your drawing was! :biggrin: Well, the first one anyway. The second one I could have held upside down and never known it. :rofl:

Moonbear said:
At least we knew what your drawing was! :biggrin: Well, the first one anyway. The second one I could have held upside down and never known it. :rofl:

Don't worry, it's taken me 3 years of study to be able to produce those, I wouldn't expect you to be able to appreciate it. :tongue:

Okay, here's my lame drawing from this afternoon. I got lazy and took a picture of it instead of fussing with the scanner, so aside from being a bit light, there are weird shadows around the corners, but it'll do. Maybe tomorrow I'll fill in some of the background around it, though it's currently at the stage it's most likely to look best (it's only going to get worse as I add in things like trees and lawn :rofl:).

http://img174.echo.cx/img174/2813/deck3uq.jpg

Hmm...actually, I'm just noticing that shrunken down here, it looks better than the original. :redface: That's pretty pathetic. :frown:

Moonbear said:
Okay, here's my lame drawing from this afternoon.
That's pretty good, Moonie. I don't know why you were worried about your handling of perspective. It looks spot-on to me. It's also quite neat to have those bits of colour in an otherwise B&W image. :approve:

MB, that's very pretty! But you know, it looks like a brain. :tongue2:

Sorry, I couldn't resist. It is very pretty! :tongue:

Danger said:
That's pretty good, Moonie. I don't know why you were worried about your handling of perspective. It looks spot-on to me.
Well, what's really funny is that it's not what I was intending to draw. I was sitting on my deck drawing that, but it appears to be more the way I imagine you'd see it as viewed from the roof! I had to fill in stuff that I couldn't see because the perspective got skewed.
It's also quite neat to have those bits of colour in an otherwise B&W image. :approve:
Now you're really giving me more credit than I deserve. It's a color sketch. The flower pot thing is white (in reality too), the rest is all in color. It just doesn't show up too well in a photo of a light drawing. But, pretty much everything I was drawing there uses straight lines, so it's a lot easier than when I get to drawing landscape and stuff like that. Then it starts to look like a child drew it (and even worse if I try to draw in any animals or people). Um, so, yeah, in retrospect, you're right, that would have been really cool to do as a B&W sketch and then just draw in the pink flowers. Maybe I can try that variation another day. It was kind of nice to just sit out on the deck this afternoon with all my colored pencils drawing. :biggrin:

Evo said:
MB, that's very pretty! But you know, it looks like a brain. :tongue2:
Wait until I try adding a tree in. Maybe if I try drawing it to look like a brain, it might look like a tree. :rofl:

Sorry, I couldn't resist. It is very pretty! :tongue:
Those are the flowers I planted last weekend. :approve: My drawing doesn't do them justice.

well... since moonbear posted a drawing.. i kinda...

well, here's something i did. its weird, most of my friends hate it or love it. eh... i like it, and that's what really matters, but um, whatever I'm going to share. I also think its better zoomed in a little... but that's me. i like the details. http://www.memetika.com/media/341_409_193025155lGDJUB_fs.jpg [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: