Drawing Questions: Pen Alternatives & Color Additions

In summary, the conversation revolves around different mediums and techniques for drawing and painting. Some off-topic points such as using blood or other unconventional materials are also mentioned. The participants share their personal preferences and experiences with different tools and methods, including using pencils, markers, charcoal, watercolor pencils, and computer programs. Examples of drawings and paintings are also shared. Overall, the conversation is a creative and lively discussion about art.
Gale17 said:
well, here's something i did
That's pretty cool, in a squirrelly sort of way. Doesn't fit on my monitor, though, so I have to scroll around it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Gale17 said:
well... since moonbear posted a drawing.. i kinda...

well, here's something i did. its weird, most of my friends hate it or love it. eh... i like it, and that's what really matters, but um, whatever I'm going to share. I also think its better zoomed in a little... but that's me. i like the details. http://www.memetika.com/media/341_409_193025155lGDJUB_fs.jpg [Broken]
I notice it's on notebook paper...just how boring was the class you were drawing that one in?! :rofl:
That's a lot more like what I would consider abstract art. My eyes were really drawn to that road in a star for some reason. Pretty nifty.

My notebook doodles are much more doodle-like. Just patterns of lines and swirls, nothing recognizable as anything.

Oh, speaking of doodles, when I was doing my post-doc, I was sitting in on one of the med classes my mentor was teaching just to get an idea of the content of such a course for my own future knowledge for teaching, so of course I sat way in the back out of the way of all the students...sitting right in front of me, this guy started doodling, and as the class progressed, I realized he was drawing a caricature of my mentor...it was actually pretty good! :rofl: It would have been even better if this wasn't a med school class and this future physician wasn't paying a damned bit of attention to the lecture on reproductive physiology! :grumpy:

Last edited by a moderator:
Moonbear said:
I notice it's on notebook paper...just how boring was the class you were drawing that one in?! :rofl:
That's a lot more like what I would consider abstract art. My eyes were really drawn to that road in a star for some reason. Pretty nifty.

hmm, i don't remember if i drew it in class or not, but it took me days. i prefer drawing on notebook paper... seems more... something... and i like the pen too... I'm really sensitive about my drawings cause some people hate them or make fun...

anyways, i started drawing, and this was my first thing.
http://www.memetika.com/media/M_409_193025226nlOcbj_ph.jpg [Broken]
this one was my attempt at some skill...
http://www.memetika.com/media/M_409_193025396qTYcgi_ph.jpg [Broken]

i like the abstract stuff... its very much how my mind works. and my prose for that matter. I'm kinda all over the place sometimes... anyways...

sorry danger, these are also big... my browser shrinks them automatically.

oh, hey, i have an actual doodle here as well..
http://www.memetika.com/media/M_409_Doodle.jpg [Broken]

Gale17 said:
hmm, i don't remember if i drew it in class or not, but it took me days. i prefer drawing on notebook paper... seems more... something... and i like the pen too... I'm really sensitive about my drawings cause some people hate them or make fun...

anyways, i started drawing, and this was my first thing.
http://www.memetika.com/media/M_409_193025226nlOcbj_ph.jpg [Broken]
That seems more like surrealism than abstract. It struck me as very Dali-esque!

this one was my attempt at some skill...
http://www.memetika.com/media/M_409_193025396qTYcgi_ph.jpg [Broken]
The stick figures in the glass of water made me laugh (especially the two fighting at the bottom :biggrin:). The rest is quite good.

oh, hey, i have an actual doodle here as well..
http://www.memetika.com/media/M_409_Doodle.jpg [Broken]
Pretty elaborate doodle there! Inspired by Mushroom, mushroom!? :biggrin: Hey, that guy in that doodle has the same top hat as you had in the other drawing! You must like drawing top hats.

Moonbear said:
That seems more like surrealism than abstract. It struck me as very Dali-esque!

The stick figures in the glass of water made me laugh (especially the two fighting at the bottom :biggrin:). The rest is quite good.

Pretty elaborate doodle there! Inspired by Mushroom, mushroom!? :biggrin: Hey, that guy in that doodle has the same top hat as you had in the other drawing! You must like drawing top hats.

i get the dali thing a lot. i didn't even know who he was till someone said my art was similar... now I'm a fan. i was really proud of the water distortion though. and yes, i like top hats, clocks, guitars, pedastals and trees. is it odd to draw certain things often? think it means something?

There is a subtractive medium called Scratch Board. It's a piece of card stock coated with clay and a thin top coat of ink. You take the handle for an ink pot pen and put a special "scratch nib" in it instead of a pen nib and you use this to scratch lines into the ink layer. They also make scratch board with multiple layers of ink, each a different colour.

TheStatutoryApe said:
There is a subtractive medium called Scratch Board. It's a piece of card stock coated with clay and a thin top coat of ink. You take the handle for an ink pot pen and put a special "scratch nib" in it instead of a pen nib and you use this to scratch lines into the ink layer. They also make scratch board with multiple layers of ink, each a different colour.

ya, that's fun, you can make your own too. we used to draw pretty colors in colored pencil onto paper, then you cover it all with black crayon, then scratch it off to make cool drawings.

These are a bit small but at full size they are really big.
e728226c54a8081at.jpg
1a4e51e676c3cbe4t.jpg

I haven't worked on any art in quite some time. It's rather depressing.

Gale17 said:
i get the dali thing a lot. i didn't even know who he was till someone said my art was similar... now I'm a fan.
I really like Dali myself.
is it odd to draw certain things often?
It probably depends on what you draw often. Those things in your list seem pretty normal.
think it means something?
Yep, you're good at drawing those things, or they have shapes you enjoy drawing. :biggrin: Actually, only you can answer that.

TheStatutoryApe said:
These are a bit small but at full size they are really big.
e728226c54a8081at.jpg
1a4e51e676c3cbe4t.jpg

I haven't worked on any art in quite some time. It's rather depressing.
Very good. You make the rest of us look like kindergarteners!

Hey, maybe we can fix up enigma with that winged woman! :biggrin:

Gale17 said:
i'm really sensitive about my drawings cause some people hate them or make fun...
I really like those, especially the 2nd one with the flying baby. Sort of reminds me of Terry Gilliam's drawings for Monty Python. And that's a really good drawing of the dude in the doodle (is that why the call it that?). I notice that he has feet like Moonbear, though.
Don't worry about the size. I just copy it into Illustrator and zoom out.
Mr. Ape, I can't see yours.

Moonbear said:
Very good. You make the rest of us look like kindergarteners!

Hey, maybe we can fix up enigma with that winged woman! :biggrin:
Thank you Moonbear. :blushing:
I think everyone's drawings look very nice. Generally when I look at the artwork of others I feel like mine is inferior. I think style plays a big part in it. Mine is more or less borrowed from the comic books I read as a kid so they tend to look childish to me.

Danger said:
Mr. Ape, I can't see yours
Sorry Danger. They seem to kinda come and go. Until Moonbear commented I wasn't sure tehy were showing up properly or not. I think you'd like the winged lady she was referring to though. ;-)

TheStatutoryApe said:
Sorry Danger. They seem to kinda come and go. Until Moonbear commented I wasn't sure tehy were showing up properly or not. I think you'd like the winged lady she was referring to though. ;-)
You stashed them, perhaps, as bitmaps? Normally those work okay, but I couldn't see some here until Evo converted them to jpegs. Doesn't make sense why I can access them on some sites and not on others.

TheStatutoryApe said:
At first they showed up as broken links, then I clicked "quote" and copied the URLs to view them, and they showed up okay after that. I thought you fixed something between when I first viewed them and when I clicked "quote."

Danger said:
You stashed them, perhaps, as bitmaps? Normally those work okay, but I couldn't see some here until Evo converted them to jpegs. Doesn't make sense why I can access them on some sites and not on others.
They're both jpegs. I think it's an issue with the image tags linking to the server they're on. Here, I've copied them as direct links instead of with the image tags. See if this helps:

http://www.subkultures.net/img/2207/e728226c54a8081at.jpg
http://www.subkultures.net/img/2207/1a4e51e676c3cbe4t.jpg

Moonbear said:
See if this helps:
Thanks for the effort on my behalf, but both flagged me with "FORBIDDEN You don't have permission to access"... etc.. I'll just have to wait until he's famous and buy the prints.

try logging out and clicking on the links

Gale17 said:
well, here's something i did...
http://www.memetika.com/media/341_409_193025155lGDJUB_fs.jpg [Broken]
This is the kind of "abstract" art I like. Lots of energy and detail, and which displays actual drawing skill.

yomamma said:
try logging out and clicking on the links
Thanks, but no go. I tried it and still got the same message.

hey. BT, is that actual or non actual abstract art?

Moonbear said:
Okay, here's my lame drawing from this afternoon.
This is an actual, realistic sketch. Not bad at all for the time you spent on it. I assume if you worked on it longer it would become bolder and easier to see (It's on the faint side as is).

Like Danger, I can't seem to see S. Ape's attachments.

Last edited:
zoobyshoe said:
This is the kind of "abstract" art I like. Lots of energy and detail, and which displays actual drawing skill.

thanks... i don't know how skillful i am, but i try. i didn't get to take any art classes in high school, kinda sucked. i hope maybe to take at least one or two in college. I'm glad no one's said bad things, I'm seriously very uptight about my drawings... i get odd when i express myself like that...

anyways, i did like moonbear said and attempted to quote s'ape, and then entered the addresses in my browser. They are small, but very good.

Danger said:
Thanks, but no go. I tried it and still got the same message.
Hmm...odd. Try opening another window for some other site, like google, and then paste in the address from there. Sometimes sites get funny about direct links from here, though you'd think we'd all have that problem if that was the issue. It's a shame, because his drawings are really very good. One is of an alien sitting in front of a pyramid and the other is of a nude, winged woman.

zoobyshoe said:
I agree. You've got some talent there Gale. So do you have any artistic aspirations or are you really mostly just interested in math?

And sorry again Danger. I tried to make them attachments but this computer is a piece of junk and won't let me.

zoobyshoe said:
This is an actual, realistic sketch. Not bad at all for the time you spent on it. I assume if you worked on it longer it would become bolder and easier to see (It's on the faint side as is).
Yeah, I don't really do the abstract thing. I like looking at abstract are, but I'm not good enough to see something in my head and draw it, so need to draw while looking at something. I tend to sketch very lightly because I'm rather tentative about pressing too hard and not being able to erase cleanly. I never considered going back over something and darkening it. It's worth a try while I'm dabbling to see if I can improve.

Moonbear said:
Hmm...odd. Try opening another window for some other site, like google, and then paste in the address from there.
That's even weirder. Both of those addresses took me to something called 'The Search Machine'. First time I hit the 'close window' button and then returned here using 'go'. When I hit the 'back' button instead of the 'close window' one the second time, IE quit.

TheStatutoryApe said:
I agree. You've got some talent there Gale. So do you have any artistic aspirations or are you really mostly just interested in math?

And sorry again Danger. I tried to make them attachments but this computer is a piece of junk and won't let me.
I don't know what this is going to do to the quality, but they're small enough files that I can attach them for you. Though, we'll have to wait for Evo to come around (I'm not sure if she's still on this late).

Attachments

• 1a4e51e676c3cbe4t.jpg
    1a4e51e676c3cbe4t.jpg
    3.3 KB · Views: 405
  • e728226c54a8081at.jpg
    e728226c54a8081at.jpg
    3.1 KB · Views: 398
Moonbear said:
I tend to sketch very lightly because I'm rather tentative about pressing too hard and not being able to erase cleanly. I never considered going back over something and darkening it. It's worth a try while I'm dabbling to see if I can improve.
What people do is sketch lightly in regular pencil, do all the erasing they need to do with that, then when everything's all composed and nice, go back with great courage and boldness with the colored pencils.

What brand of colored pencils do you have?

:biggrin: Evo, that's good, especially considering her age at the time.

Moonbear said:
I don't know what this is going to do to the quality, but they're small enough files that I can attach them for you.
Right on! That worked, and they're well worth waiting for. In this case, I put them into Illustrator to enlarge them. Very nice. You're right about the winged one, Stats. I appreciate a woman who's equipped with her own down comforter. :biggrin:

zoobyshoe said:
What people do is sketch lightly in regular pencil, do all the erasing they need to do with that, then when everything's all composed and nice, go back with great courage and boldness with the colored pencils.
Ah...guess I haven't built up that courage yet. :uhh:

What brand of colored pencils do you have?
Promise you won't laugh? Crayola I think. I didn't get them at an art store, they're just cheap pencils. Maybe I should get some good quality pencils to finish the drawing now that you're inspiring me to keep playing with this.

Moonbear said:
I don't know what this is going to do to the quality, but they're small enough files that I can attach them for you. Though, we'll have to wait for Evo to come around (I'm not sure if she's still on this late).
I can see them now!

Not bad at all. Fantasy/Sci Fi style and content. Actual drawing skill, and a nice sense of lines.

TheStatutoryApe said:

mostly i adore math, but i appreciate the arts very much. I like to draw, i write a bit, and i love my guitar.

Moonbear said:

go moonbear! that works now. stat-ape owes you now.

zoobyshoe said:

i like pen because i can't erase, so i can see all the stages my work went through, and i have to think carefully about each mark. if i want white... i have to be careful. i like that. i wish i was bold enough to use color... i had a very traumatic experience in second grade...

...i did a project on nile crocodiles.. and i drew this great croc and i drew every single scale and shaded and everything, i mean, it was really really good, i skipped recess even cause i wanted it perfect. then my teacher said i had to color it in... i picked up a green crayon, and slowly watched as all my hard work was completely covered up. i cried. I've been scared of coloring ever since.

Gale17 said:
...i did a project on nile crocodiles.. and i drew this great croc and i drew every single scale and shaded and everything, i mean, it was really really good, i skipped recess even cause i wanted it perfect. then my teacher said i had to color it in... i picked up a green crayon, and slowly watched as all my hard work was completely covered up. i cried. I've been scared of coloring ever since.
I had two traumatic experiences with color! My first grade teacher came over and humiliated me in front of the class because I used grey on a tree trunk (the damned grey tree was right outside the window for everyone to see) and told me there must be something wrong with me: wood was brown, everyone knew that!

At home later, I was painting a tree with brown paint, as per instructions, and my mother comes over and says I'm way too sloppy with the paint, and can't I do better than that! I was seven or something. I didn't touch color again till I was about 35.

Now when I do colored pencil doodles, say at a coffee house, people stop and ask me where I sell them and how much I charge.