Drawing Questions: Pen Alternatives & Color Additions

In summary, the conversation revolves around different mediums and techniques for drawing and painting. Some off-topic points such as using blood or other unconventional materials are also mentioned. The participants share their personal preferences and experiences with different tools and methods, including using pencils, markers, charcoal, watercolor pencils, and computer programs. Examples of drawings and paintings are also shared. Overall, the conversation is a creative and lively discussion about art.
Moonbear said:
I don't know what this is going to do to the quality, but they're small enough files that I can attach them for you. Though, we'll have to wait for Evo to come around (I'm not sure if she's still on this late).

Wow Moonbear! Very nice.

Physics news on Phys.org
Moonbear said:
Promise you won't laugh? Crayola I think. I didn't get them at an art store, they're just cheap pencils. Maybe I should get some good quality pencils to finish the drawing now that you're inspiring me to keep playing with this.
Crayola and the other cheap colored pencils for kids are the inventions of SATAN.

Go to the art store and get the set of 12 Sanford Prismacolor colored pencils. (Don't get the watercolor pencils by accident). You will see how rich and smooth they are compared to the kiddi-colors. They are worth the high relative price.

Ivan Seeking said:
Wow Moonbear! Very nice.
Those are by StatutoryApe, not moonbear.

Gale17 said:
i like pen because i can't erase, so i can see all the stages my work went through, and i have to think carefully about each mark. if i want white... i have to be careful. i like that. i wish i was bold enough to use color...
The good thing is that you have excellent "boldness" with what you're doing right now. At your age I was more like moonbear: very tentative with all the lines, afraid of making a mistake I couldn't fix. The result was always too faint. Somewhere along the line I did a chaotic flip and now everything is as bold as I can make it.

The non-eraseing thing in your first drawing is one of the things that gives it motion and energy. I think I like that one the best because you filed up most of the space. There's more to look at, keep your interest, per square inch. I like that kind of stuff.

zoobyshoe said:
Those are by StatutoryApe, not moonbear.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Okay, that makes much more sense!

I was really wondering about the theme...

This is a drawing by my favorite abstract colored pencil artist, Steve Schutz:

Address:http://www.communitywordproject.org/auction_tour_18.htm [Broken]

I have a book here at the brush shelter with three more of his drawings and I think he does really exiting stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:
zoobyshoe said:
Crayola and the other cheap colored pencils for kids are the inventions of SATAN.

Go to the art store and get the set of 12 Sanford Prismacolor colored pencils. (Don't get the watercolor pencils by accident). You will see how rich and smooth they are compared to the kiddi-colors. They are worth the high relative price.
Hey, I told you not to laugh. :grumpy: I don't draw seriously, it's just something that keeps my hands occupied from time to time to keep me out of trouble. I recall having better brands that did come out a lot nicer when I was in Jr. High (that's when we learned to do shading and got to fill entire pages with shapes...mine was all overlapping tubes and looked like a plumbing project gone horribly wrong!) Hmm...I'm wondering if stores are open today. Everything's open on holidays anymore, right? Well, if it isn't, it won't kill me to go take a drive anyway. I think I'll head over to the craft store (the real art store probably won't be open, and there's a festival in that direction that creates a parking nightmare) and see if I can find myself some decent pencils. It's a rainy day today anyway, so there isn't much else I can do of the stuff I had planned for the day.

you can use cigarettes fire for your paper edges..really it is very nice image,and different...
in addition .. once ı used my nail polishers to creative different image. :smile:

Last edited: