Thinking about matrices/polynomials

• Thread starter eep
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Thinking
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of 2x2 matrices as vectors and the potential pitfalls of thinking about them in this way. It is suggested to use coordinates as defined by an ordered basis, though this may not always be the most efficient method. The concept of a vector is clarified, as it is not limited to just n-tuples.
eep
Hi,
A homework problem I ran across awhile ago asked me to determine if a set of of 2x2 Matrices were a basis for the set of aa 2x2 matrices.

Am I going to run into any pitfalls by thinking about such 2x2 matrices as vectors of 4 components? Basically what I did was turn each 2x2 matrix into a 4x1 vector. Each row represented an entry in matrix A (row 1 was A11, row 2 was A12, row 3 was A21, row 4 was A22).

Basically, I have no problems in dealing with vectors but when I run across problems where I'm given either polynomials or matrices with columns I'm unsure as to how I can approach them. For polynomials I figure I can just treat each power of x as a separate component of a vector. Any insight would be appreciate and sorry if this post is jibberish, I'm a little tired. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
As long as you are dealing with matrices as a vector space you are not using matrix product so, yes, you can just think of 2x2 matrices as a 4 dimensional vector.

Am I going to run into any pitfalls by thinking about such 2x2 matrices as vectors of 4 components? Basically what I did was turn each 2x2 matrix into a 4x1 vector. Each row represented an entry in matrix A (row 1 was A11, row 2 was A12, row 3 was A21, row 4 was A22).
It sounds like you're just using the coordinates defined by the ordered basis:

[tex]
\left(
\left[\begin{array}{ll}1 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 \end{array}\right]
\left[\begin{array}{ll}0 & 1 \\ 0 & 0 \end{array}\right]
\left[\begin{array}{ll}0 & 0 \\ 1 & 0 \end{array}\right]
\left[\begin{array}{ll}0 & 0 \\ 0 & 1 \end{array}\right]
\right)
[/tex]

and using coordinates is fine, though not always the most efficient method of working with vectors.

(Yes, [tex]\left[\begin{array}{ll}1 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 \end{array}\right][/tex] is a vector, and so is [itex]x^3 - 4x + 17[/itex]. You sound like you might be confusing yourself by using "vector" as a synonym for "n-tuple")

Last edited:

1. What is a matrix?

A matrix is a rectangular array of numbers or symbols arranged in rows and columns. It is used to represent and manipulate data in linear algebra and other areas of mathematics.

2. How are matrices used in real life?

Matrices are used in a variety of fields, including engineering, physics, computer graphics, and economics. They are used to solve systems of equations, analyze data, and model real-world situations.

3. What are the properties of matrices?

Matrices have several properties, including addition, subtraction, multiplication, and transposition. They also have specific properties depending on their size and the values of their elements, such as being symmetric or skew-symmetric.

4. What is a polynomial?

A polynomial is a mathematical expression consisting of variables and coefficients, combined using basic arithmetic operations like addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. It is often used to describe relationships between variables in algebra and calculus.

5. How are polynomials used in real life?

Polynomials are used in a variety of fields, including physics, economics, and engineering. They are used to model real-world phenomena, such as the trajectory of a projectile or the growth of a population. They are also used in data analysis and curve fitting.