1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thinking about matrices/polynomials

1. Oct 30, 2005 #1

eep

Hi,
    A homework problem I ran across awhile ago asked me to determine if a set of of 2x2 Matrices were a basis for the set of aa 2x2 matrices.

Am I going to run into any pitfalls by thinking about such 2x2 matrices as vectors of 4 components? Basically what I did was turn each 2x2 matrix into a 4x1 vector. Each row represented an entry in matrix A (row 1 was A11, row 2 was A12, row 3 was A21, row 4 was A22).

Basically, I have no problems in dealing with vectors but when I run across problems where I'm given either polynomials or matrices with columns I'm unsure as to how I can approach them. For polynomials I figure I can just treat each power of x as a seperate component of a vector. Any insight would be appreciate and sorry if this post is jibberish, I'm a little tired. Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 31, 2005 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

As long as you are dealing with matrices as a vector space you are not using matrix product so, yes, you can just think of 2x2 matrices as a 4 dimensional vector.

4. Oct 31, 2005 #3

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It sounds like you're just using the coordinates defined by the ordered basis:

[tex]
    \left(
    \left[\begin{array}{ll}1 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 \end{array}\right]
    \left[\begin{array}{ll}0 & 1 \\ 0 & 0 \end{array}\right]
    \left[\begin{array}{ll}0 & 0 \\ 1 & 0 \end{array}\right]
    \left[\begin{array}{ll}0 & 0 \\ 0 & 1 \end{array}\right]
    \right)
    [/tex]

and using coordinates is fine, though not always the most efficient method of working with vectors.

(Yes, [tex]\left[\begin{array}{ll}1 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 \end{array}\right][/tex] is a vector, and so is [itex]x^3 - 4x + 17[/itex]. You sound like you might be confusing yourself by using "vector" as a synonym for "n-tuple")

Last edited: Oct 31, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?