Space Time Field: Effects of Mass & Orbit Equilibrium

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of space time being bent around a mass and compares it to the orbits of an electron around a nucleus. The speaker also suggests that the mass of the object and its energy are important factors in determining its orbit. However, actual observations show that orbiting bodies do not follow a specific pattern and the concept of electrons having orbits around the nucleus has been replaced by quantum mechanics.
sambogrub
So I was thinking about the space time field and trying to wrap my head around how it is actually bent around a mass.
Has anyone thought of thinking about the bending of space time around a mass like multiple orbits? Almost like in the way we describe the orbits of an electron around a nucleus? Like a satellite has to have a specific amount of energy, easiest way to describe this is in motion, to stay in an orbit around a large mass, if it doesn't it falls to the next orbit and so on. Since we do not have enough energy, I.e. Not moving fast enough, we fall to the earth. But if something moves fast enough, it will skip to the next orbit up.
This is the most simple way I have thought of it. Obviously it will have to include the mass of the satellite and most likely the mass of the large object. And I think if I can take it even further, it actually has to find equilibrium as a system. Such as the mass of the large object has to expressed in terms of energy and that has to equal the total energy in the satellite, meaning the mass in terms of energy and the energy added to it in some form such as movement.
I even want to find if, since all mass is really mostly energy and has only a fraction of solid mass, i.e. subatomic particles, that energy is what affects the space time field. I mean we say that mass affects it, but we really don't know how right?
I'm not as educated on these subjects but I do like to postulate them sometimes and try to figure out things no one else has.

Physics news on Phys.org
sambogrub said:
Has anyone thought of thinking about the bending of space time around a mass like multiple orbits? Almost like in the way we describe the orbits of an electron around a nucleus?

Actual observations of orbiting bodies show that that's not how it works. Not only are the possible orbits continuous, but regardless of the energy of the satellite, whether it "falls to ground" or not depends more than anything else on whether its elliptical orbit around the center of mass of the system intersects the surface.

Also be aware that electrons do not have orbits around the nucleus in the way that you're thinking - that notion was replaced with the development of quantum mechanics almost a century ago.

1. What is the Space Time Field?

The Space Time Field is a theoretical concept in physics that describes the fabric of the universe. It is a four-dimensional continuum that combines space and time to create a unified framework for understanding gravity and the movement of objects in the universe.

2. How does mass affect the Space Time Field?

According to Einstein's theory of general relativity, mass actually warps the Space Time Field. This warping effect is what we experience as gravity. The more massive an object is, the greater its effect on the Space Time Field and the stronger its gravitational pull.

3. How does orbit equilibrium work in the Space Time Field?

Orbit equilibrium occurs when the gravitational pull of two objects, such as a planet and its moon, are balanced. In the Space Time Field, this balance is achieved because the warping of space and time caused by the objects' masses cancels out, resulting in a stable orbit.

4. How does the Space Time Field affect the movement of objects?

The Space Time Field determines the movement of objects in the universe through the concept of geodesics. These are the paths that objects with no external forces would naturally follow through the warped space-time. Objects with mass will follow the paths of these geodesics, which can be curved due to the warping effect of the Space Time Field.

5. Can the Space Time Field be observed or measured?

While we cannot directly observe the Space Time Field, its effects can be observed and measured. For example, the bending of light around massive objects in space, known as gravitational lensing, is evidence of the warping of the Space Time Field. Additionally, the precise measurements of the orbits of planets and other objects in the universe support the concepts of the Space Time Field and its effects on mass and orbit equilibrium.