Reflexivity: The Interconnectedness of Thinking and Reality

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between thinking and reality, with the concept of reflexivity being highlighted as a way to understand this connection. While in the natural sciences, truth is crucial for success, in human affairs, shortcuts such as lying and manipulation are often used. The conversation also references George Soros' book "Open Society" and his concept of reflexivity. One person disagrees with the idea that thinking creates reality, stating that thinking is separate from reality and that thoughts cannot fully grasp it. In response, the other person suggests that studying psychology and cognitive science may change their opinion.
coberst
Thinking is part of reality

Our educational system and our culture lie to us. We are taught by our educational system and by our culture that there is thinking and there is reality and that thinking’s job is to discover reality; never informing us that reality and thinking go together, one is not separated from the other. Reflexivity is a concept that informs us that thinking is part of reality.

In the natural sciences truth is of the utmost importance because knowledge of reality is a precondition for success. In human affairs there are shortcuts to success—one can lie, manipulate, spin, and use force to gain success. Thus in human affairs truth often takes a back seat.

In his book “Open Society” George Soros speaks of many things; one important concept is ‘reflexivity’. “I started thinking in terms of reflexivity nearly fifty years ago. It may be interesting to recall how I arrived at the idea. It was through the footnotes of Karl Popper’s “Open Society and its Enemies”…I started to apply the concept of reflexivity to the understanding of social affairs, and particularly of financial markets, in the early 1960s before evolutionary systems theory was born…”

The first chapter of this book, wherein he explains this concept, can be found at http://www.businessweek.com/chapter/soros.htm .

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't agree with your opinion. I still believe thinking is separate from reality, and thoughts will never fully grasp it. You seem to be saying that thinking creates our reality and while that is true somewhat in a social or political environment, it is not true in a universal context, just like you can't think the solar system or the stars into existence. They don't need our thoughts to exist.

trueuniverse said:
I don't agree with your opinion. I still believe thinking is separate from reality, and thoughts will never fully grasp it. You seem to be saying that thinking creates our reality and while that is true somewhat in a social or political environment, it is not true in a universal context, just like you can't think the solar system or the stars into existence. They don't need our thoughts to exist.

I suspect that a study of psychology and cognitive science would change your opinion.

What is the meaning of "thinking is part of reality"?

The phrase "thinking is part of reality" refers to the idea that our thoughts and perceptions are a fundamental aspect of the world we live in. It suggests that our thoughts and the way we perceive the world around us are not separate from objective reality, but are instead an integral part of it.

How does thinking contribute to our understanding of reality?

Thinking allows us to process and interpret the information we receive from our senses, and make sense of the world around us. It enables us to form beliefs, make decisions, and create meaning from our experiences, ultimately shaping our understanding of reality.

Is thinking subjective or objective?

This is a debated topic, but many scientists and philosophers argue that thinking is a combination of both subjective and objective elements. Our thoughts and perceptions are influenced by our individual experiences and biases, but they are also shaped by objective reality and the laws of nature.

Can our thoughts change reality?

While our thoughts and actions can certainly have an impact on the world around us, they cannot directly change objective reality. However, our thoughts and perceptions can shape our interpretation of reality and influence how we interact with it.

How does the concept of "thinking is part of reality" relate to scientific research?

In scientific research, the idea that thinking is part of reality is crucial. It reminds us that our thoughts and perceptions can influence the way we design and conduct experiments, and interpret the data we collect. It also acknowledges that the scientific process itself is shaped by our understanding of reality, and that new discoveries can shift our perspective on what is considered "real".