Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thinking less.

1. Aug 26, 2011 #1
    I need to think less about things. Thinking about things means that you have to think about the things that have to be done after those things are done. bla bla bla

I lack the habituation. I always think. Think think think. Thinking about thinking. And thinking about how to think. Bla bla bla *so tired* It makes my social behavior seem artificial and awkward. What's the solution o great people of this forum?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 26, 2011 #2
    And no, "listen to what your heart says" is not a solution.

4. Aug 26, 2011 #3

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Not a great person but someone who can relate.

Learn to live in the moment. While you are doing all of that thinking you are missing reality. Note also that if you are thinking, you aren't doing.

They have an expression out at Boeing - don't brainstorm, trystorm! Engineers have a tendency to think perpetually and never get anything done.

5. Aug 26, 2011 #4

OmCheeto

Gold Member
    2016 Award

I believe the brain is fueled mostly by oxygen, which is a function of blood flow.

I only know of self destructive ways of reducing blood flow to my brain, and hence, will not share them.

I also suffer from your malady, and can totally relate to how you feel. Good luck. And if you find a solution, I will pay handsomely for a cure.

Unless of course it involves smoking crack. I might not like thinking so much, but I do not want to be a zombie.

6. Aug 26, 2011 #5
    Actually I know the solution. I think it's meditation.

Can anyone outline some ways of implementing meditation in your life successfully?

7. Aug 26, 2011 #6

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Think about it for five minutes and you'll have your own answer again. Maybe it would be best if we try to anticipate your next question. :biggrin:

8. Aug 26, 2011 #7
    Oh, shiet. I'm doing it again. :uhh:

9. Aug 26, 2011 #8
    I feel like some Faustian idiot. Just without all the knowledge in the world.

10. Aug 26, 2011 #9
    I think I have to think less if this thread makes any kind of sense.

11. Aug 26, 2011 #10
    What sees to be the problem, sir?

12. Aug 26, 2011 #11
    Who sees to be the problem? is probably a more appropriate question.Whatever that means.

13. Aug 26, 2011 #12
    You be trolling me.

14. Aug 26, 2011 #13
    Can we lock this thread b4 any more trolls appear? Thanks.

15. Aug 26, 2011 #14
    No but ...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-gTtdwk3ak

16. Aug 27, 2011 #15
    I definitely know how you feel.. sometimes I can't even sleep at all because my brain is always racing. And the socially awkward thing is too much to handle sometimes, I have neurotic thoughts , questioning what people think, what I should say , if I should call someone because I might've said something in a misinterpreted tone..

17. Aug 27, 2011 #16
    I also considered meditation, I've been starting recently. It actually does help keep the thoughts at bay.

18. Aug 27, 2011 #17

Fra

It sounds like you describe what I'd call irrational thinking or deadlock. Ie. you keep analysing things in absurdum with a feeling that you aren't getting anywhere? You end up questioning the rationality in your thinking? Almost a bit of a philosopher syndrome :)

I'm not sure what you are thinking about but maybe you just need fresh inputs and a break and do something else. It can really help. From that new perspective you can implicitly assess your prevous thinking and get around our deadlock.

I think the best way to get out of a deadlock is to move to a new perspective and try to see if from the outside. Then go back with you might find that you can solve it.

I very often reflect upong my own creative processes from different angles. When I'm at work I often think about physics and inference problems, especially the hard ones. When I'm home I often think about work problems. So when you get back to respective place to do the "real work", you are full of fresh ideas.

Beeing stuck in a monotone state for along time is never creative. For me, problem solving and creative thinking (as opposed to neverending contemplation) does not only require thinking but also plenty of new inputs, fresh angles etc.

Maybe you forget about the new input, then the process becomes painful and risk getting into a deadlock.

/Fredrik

19. Aug 27, 2011 #18

wukunlin

Gold Member

You can't apply that to everything though, say I want to get along some girl i find attractive. trystorming may not be the best idea

20. Aug 27, 2011 #19
    Thanks Fra, you gave me plenty of new input just from this response. =D

21. Aug 27, 2011 #20

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If you drink caffeine, then it is your bane; it is your enemy when you go one cup over the line. If you are an over-thinker, coffee and sodas will wreck you.

As an over-thinker myself, I only drink coffee in the early AM, and never after noon.

Switching the brain off: no gaming! For me, music in the headphones is the key, also audiobooks, especially stories you already know, help the brain stop for a while. A nap is the best thing, even if for 5 minutes (another good reason for no/little caffeine).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook