Thinking of doing MScAE and MSEE in controls

In summary, pursuing two master's degrees in control systems could be a great track for achieving your career goals, but it may also be seen as degree overkill by some employers.
viscousflow
Hey guys,

Right now I'm about to finish my undergrad studies and go on to do my Masters degree. First and foremost I want to do my MSAE in aircraft controls/control systems. After this I am considering doing a second masters degree in EE again in control systems, however, I am doing this to get a view of the "other side of the fence" so to speak. Meaning I want to see the control systems I design through the eyes of an AE and a EE to create excellent (robust) control systems viewed from (almost) any angle.

I would imagine after these degrees employers would be jumping at my job application the first chance they get. In my opinion this would be an excellent combination.

My questions are:

-is this thought process wrong and is simply degree overkill?
-or am i on a great track and excellent things are bound to happen?

My career goals are to work for companies like Thales, BAE, EADS, Lockheed, etc...

Physics news on Phys.org
Thank you for your time,Your advice is greatly appreciated.In my opinion, doing two master's degrees in control systems would be a good decision if your goal is to have expertise in both areas. It would give you a very deep understanding of the subject matter and make you an ideal candidate for positions at companies such as Thales, BAE, EADS, and Lockheed. That being said, it is also possible that employers may consider it to be overkill and you could potentially be passed over for candidates with more practical experience. Ultimately, it is up to you to decide what is the best path for you to pursue.

1. What is the difference between MScAE and MSEE in controls?

MScAE stands for Master of Science in Aerospace Engineering, while MSEE stands for Master of Science in Electrical Engineering. Both programs focus on controls, but MScAE has a broader scope as it covers control systems in the aerospace industry, while MSEE focuses more on control systems in electrical and electronics engineering applications.

2. Can I apply for both MScAE and MSEE in controls?

It depends on the university and their specific requirements. Some universities may allow you to apply for both programs, while others may require you to choose one. It is best to check with the university you are interested in for their specific policies.

3. Is there a specific background or prerequisite knowledge needed for these programs?

Generally, a background in engineering or a related field is required for both MScAE and MSEE in controls. Some universities may also require specific courses in mathematics and physics. It is important to check the prerequisites for each program before applying.

4. What kind of career opportunities are available for graduates of these programs?

Graduates of both MScAE and MSEE in controls have a wide range of career opportunities in industries such as aerospace, automotive, manufacturing, and robotics. They can work as control systems engineers, automation engineers, systems engineers, and many other roles that involve designing, implementing, and maintaining control systems.

5. Can I pursue a PhD after completing these programs?

Yes, both MScAE and MSEE in controls provide a strong foundation for further studies in a PhD program. Many universities offer PhD programs in control systems, and graduates of these programs can also pursue research opportunities in various industries.