Thinking of Transferring

@ OP: After two years of college, your SAT scores and especially high school transcript are going to have minimal impact on your application. Schools look at those two factors to guess how well you would do in college. You're now in college, so they'd much rather use the real numbers than the predictor numbers :smile: A 4.0 will look very strong, though it's of course just one aspect of the application. When you're getting to especially Stanford level, it's about much more than just the numbers.

Something else you might want to keep in mind when you look at universities is how the distribution requirements of your current school compare to those of the new school. You probably don't want to spend your junior and senior year taking a lot of general courses when you already have taken many at your current school. I don't suspect schools disagree much on this, but it's something to keep in mind.

@ CJ2116: I don't think you need to worry too much about the reputation of your current school. While I won't say transferring to Purdue will be easy (I'm not too familiar with their selectivity, especially for transfer students), with a GPA at 3.8+ you should definitely give it a shot.

Regarding transferring after 1.5 years or 2 years, I've always heard that the more time you've spent in college, the less they look at your high school transcript. I'm not sure how much this difference is pronounced for 1.5 to 2 years, if there even is a difference, but it's something to keep in mind. Hopefully someone else might know, or you can just ask the admissions office.

Best of luck to both of you!

Really? What is his/her major?
I'm pretty sure he is going off to med school when he graduates. I'm not exactly sure what major that would be, though.

@ CJ2116: I don't think you need to worry too much about the reputation of your current school. While I won't say transferring to Purdue will be easy (I'm not too familiar with their selectivity, especially for transfer students), with a GPA at 3.8+ you should definitely give it a shot.

Regarding transferring after 1.5 years or 2 years, I've always heard that the more time you've spent in college, the less they look at your high school transcript. I'm not sure how much this difference is pronounced for 1.5 to 2 years, if there even is a difference, but it's something to keep in mind. Hopefully someone else might know, or you can just ask the admissions office.

Best of luck to both of you!
Thanks for the reply! I have heard Purdue is not very difficult to gain acceptance to. However, I don't want to speak too soon! I may also give some bigger schools like Chicago and Illinois University a shot. Hopefully, something good will come of it.:smile:

Don't even bother applying to Rutgers. For the price you're going to paying as an out of state student (unless you live in NJ, do you?) it's not worth it. Even though it's probably less than what you're paying now but, unless you want to live in a very grimy and unsafe area, stay away. I'm not saying it's a bad school, it's not. I believe its on the top 60 of USA's best colleges list(2008). It's just an unpleasant place to live and, it's a big party school. Although that can be quite appealing haha.

truthfinder;1825366 [* said:
Cost: I'm currently paying between $35,000-40,000 per year.
Um....wow.

The school I am at right now is $13,000 per year.