Unlocking Creativity: Practical Applications of Physics for A Level Students

In summary, the conversation mainly revolved around finding resources to help with thinking "outside the box" for physics. The book "Lateral Thinking" by Edward De Bono was recommended, along with the website Amazon. The importance of mastering "in the box" thinking and combining different perspectives was also mentioned. Other suggestions included watching the show "Red Green" for a different approach to problem-solving and utilizing interlibrary loans for those who cannot afford to buy books. The conversation also touched on applying for universities and predicted grades.
Davio
Thinking "out of the box"

Hey guys, I'm currently doing A levels (UK EXAMS) and I've decided I want to do physics at Uni... I was wondering if anyone could recommend me any books or websites to help me think "outside the box", ie. applying current knowledge to new situations.. I can do it in my other subjects, but due to a lack of teachers.. I've had to teach myself the physics course up till last year!.. I just need stuff like practical uses of physics, mixed with theory etc...

Physics news on Phys.org
Think Laterally.
A god-send book for you would be
Edward De Bono's Lateral Thinking.
This book, has been too famous for me to introduce it to you.
www.amazon.com[/URL] is where you want to be right now, ordering it.

Last edited by a moderator:
hmm that looks interesting.. will be ordering that! Any other books / sites you could recommend? Any which specifically deal with physics? I'm just afraid that at the uni interviews, they'll ask me something completely impossible!
Edit! I;ve found two versions.. one on amazon.com and on on amazon.com... I live in the UK so amazon.com would be more helpful.. which one is the correct one?

Last edited:
Davio said:
Edit! I;ve found two versions.. one on amazon.com and on on amazon.com... I live in the UK so amazon.com would be more helpful.. which one is the correct one?
Right here, this is a bad sign. Are you serious? It sounds like you have difficulty thinking 'inside the box' at the moment. Are you seriously asking people here whether, given both options, you aught to buy a book locally or buy it from the other side of the world ??

I would suggest that mastering 'in the box' thinking might be a good start.

Creative thinking consists of taking the 'data' from two different 'perspectives' and combining them in a new way. First, one needs the 'data', ordinarily found IN the box.

There is a 'price' to thought 'outside the box'... You might find something relevant here, The Psychology of Alternative Thinking

Perhaps the interviewers at the university might be more impressed in finding a 'clear' mind ready and willing to learn and to apply 'thought' to what is learned. A 'teacher' is generally unimpressed with a potential student who tries to impress him with all his knowledge and skill. On the other hand, if you are well read in your field and show interest by demonstrating that you are serious enough to have independently studied the subject and are now ready to 'seriously' do some learning at university level, perhaps this might be the way to go?

Good luck!

argh! I didn't mean that.. :rofl: I meant, which edition of the book is the correct one, if it was a different edition than the one on amazon.com, I could have ordered it from a bookshop :P :rofl: Sorry, I must have worded that really badly!
Thanks for the advice though :).. I'm applying for the top 10 in the UK, so I'll need the luck !

Last edited:
Why buy books when it is all on the net?

I'm not sure if I agree with everyhting but who am I.

edit: not that's free.

Last edited:
If you have the chance to watch 'Red Green' over there, do it. The 'Handyman Corner' segments will not only teach you how to look at mechanical problems in a totally new way, but also graphically demonstrate why your solutions probably won't work. :biggrin:

I'll look out for it! Though I haven't actually heard of it :rolleyes: !

It's a Canuk comedy show staring Steve Smith & Patrick McKenna. Although it's also quite popular on some US specialty channels, I don't know if it's been exported overseas.

Right... I'll look out for it! :P

help with books

For people who can't afford to buy some of these books because of price consider googling your states interlibrary loans, if a library in your state has it, you can have the book sent to your local library.

Davio said:
argh! I didn't mean that.. :rofl: I meant, which edition of the book is the correct one, if it was a different edition than the one on amazon.com, I could have ordered it from a bookshop :P :rofl: Sorry, I must have worded that really badly!
Thanks for the advice though :).. I'm applying for the top 10 in the UK, so I'll need the luck !

I wouldn't worry about getting offers from British universities for physics (except oxbridge) under 3000 people applied for physics last year in the UK. Most uni's don't interview either (before they offer a place) except oxbridge and Imperial. Where are you applying?, I'm applying this year too for physics (Post A-level results).

Applying to imperial, leeds, nottingham, warwick, durham and UCL, though if my grades are better, (I was predicted AABB) I will apply post A level, for oxbridge!

Last edited:
Davio said:
Applying to imperial, leeds, nottingham, warwick, durham and UCL, though if my grades are better, (I was predicted AAAB) I will apply post A level, for oxbridge!

What are you predicted now?

AABB... but my grades last year weren't too good due to lack of work.

Last edited:
i'm appying for physics! too this year I am predicted AAB for a levels. i seem to be doing better at maths this year than physics. I am appying to cardiff uni and swansea and others not so interested in. i think i might appy for theoretical physics in one university, is there a lot more maths in theoretical physics than in ordinary 3 year phys?

Last edited:
I've heard that theorectical has a lot of maths.. I don't know if that's true though!... urgh. maths this year is a bit too hard for my liking!

I took my A-levels a year early and am applying post results for physics. I got AAA in triple maths, A in physics and C in chemistry. I think the C in chemistry has ruined my chance of getting into cambridge but I'm applying there for Natural science anyway, and physics at Imperial, UCL (medical physics), Warwick, York and Durham. If anyone needs any revision notes for physics (AQA B) I have some I could send you.

wow triple AAA in maths wow

alias25 said:
wow triple AAA in maths wow

Well the third A is not really worth much, some of universities won't even accept further maths as an A-level let alone additional further maths, i only did it because I was going to apply to maths at cambridge but I have now changed my mind and want to do physics.

What is "Unlocking Creativity: Practical Applications of Physics for A Level Students"?

"Unlocking Creativity: Practical Applications of Physics for A Level Students" is a book that explores the intersection between physics and creativity, offering practical ways for A Level students to apply physics concepts to their everyday lives. It is written by a team of scientists and educators and aims to inspire students to think creatively about physics and its applications.

Who is this book for?

This book is primarily aimed at A Level students who are studying physics, but it can also be useful for anyone interested in exploring the practical applications of physics in their daily lives. It is written in an accessible and engaging manner, making it suitable for students of all levels.

What topics are covered in this book?

This book covers a wide range of topics, including mechanics, electricity and magnetism, waves, and modern physics. It also delves into interdisciplinary areas such as music, art, and sports, showing how physics plays a role in these fields.

How can this book help students become more creative in their approach to physics?

This book provides practical applications and real-world examples of physics concepts, encouraging students to think creatively and apply their knowledge in new and innovative ways. It also includes exercises and activities that challenge students to think outside the box and explore their own ideas.

Is this book based on any specific curriculum or exam board?

This book is not tied to any specific curriculum or exam board. However, it covers topics that are commonly taught in A Level physics courses and can be used to supplement and enhance a student's understanding of these concepts.