Exploring Alternatives for Thinnest Latex Tube Wall Design and Inflation Methods

• LaTeX
  • Thread starter gbriggs
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Latex Wall
In summary, the tube needs to be long enough to be effective, and should be inflated with silicon rubber to prevent over inflation.
gbriggs
TL;DR Summary
Hello,
Im working on a project and I would like to inflate a latex tube to expand twice the original outer diameter or even more. The thinnest latex I have found is 1/8" inner diameter with 1/32" wall thickness. Does a 1/64" wall thickness exist or what other material can I go with?
I will be using a small pressure bulb with non return valve inside that is 1/8" OD which will inflate the tube.
1/8" ID X 1/64" wall latex tube?

Physics news on Phys.org
How long does the tube need to be?

Well if the product works for the intended purpose I would be ordering rolls of it. But for the specific purpose about 5 inches should suffice

No too thin. I think i have to go with 1/32 W and just go with larger ID which will make it inflate. Its to act as an inflatable seal which allows for pressure adjustments. Thanks anyway!

Perhaps the specifications for ID and wall thickness that you found are an industry standard for medical work.
Such as this specification (1973 but would that change over the years ).
http://everyspec.com/MIL-SPECS/MIL-SPECS-MIL-T/MIL-T-36966A_9346/
Poke on the orange Download File button for a PDF.

You could ask a manufacturer for a special order, or,

Try to make your own specific tube with your own latex.
http://www.rutherford-robotics.com/balloon/
For a mold you need something like plaster of paris ( kind of thin for plaster of paris perhaps ) that will absorb the water and congeal latex onto the mold.
Longer dipping time means thicker.
And some talc dusting to the latex doesn't stick to itself after removing from the mold.
Now to find the right type of latex.
Just a thought.

I expect there will be a problem with even inflation of the tube over the full length. Part of the tube will expand first and form a sphere, with two tails. That is because the pressure reduces as the tube radius increases, while the tube shortens.
It would be necessary to inflate the tube inside an outer sleeve that will prevent over-inflation. To make a single tube you would need to give it a two layer wall structure that will constrain expansion at twice the diameter.

Silicon rubber tube is available in the size you require. Is there a reason why it cannot be used?

Maybe you could use a flat tube that becomes round when inflated.

Last edited:

1. What is the thinnest possible latex wall?

The thinnest possible latex wall is approximately 1 nanometer (nm) thick. This is equivalent to one billionth of a meter or one millionth of a millimeter.

2. How is the thinnest possible latex wall created?

The thinnest possible latex wall is created using a process called spin coating, which involves spinning liquid latex at high speeds to create a thin film. This film is then dried and cured to form the final latex wall.

3. What are the potential applications for the thinnest possible latex wall?

The thinnest possible latex wall has potential applications in various industries, including biomedical, electronics, and energy. It can be used as a barrier in drug delivery systems, as a coating for electronic devices, and as a membrane in fuel cells.

4. Are there any challenges in creating the thinnest possible latex wall?

Yes, there are several challenges in creating the thinnest possible latex wall. These include controlling the thickness and uniformity of the film, as well as maintaining the stability and integrity of the wall during the curing process.

5. How does the thinnest possible latex wall compare to other thin films?

The thinnest possible latex wall is thinner than most other thin films, such as those made from polymers or metals. It also has unique properties, such as flexibility and permeability, that make it suitable for specific applications.