1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Third cosmic velocity

1. Mar 7, 2009 #1
    ... is the minimal speed (relative to the Earth) which must be imparted on a body resting on the Earth's surface to escape the Solar (and Terrestrial) gravity. So, if one uses the conservation of energy (neglecting the Earth's rotation about its axis), one has

1/2 m (v_3 + v_o)^2 = G m (M_s / R_s + M_e / R_e), where

m - mass of the body
    M_s/e, R_s/e - mass of the Sun (Earth) and distance from its center to the body
    v_3 - third cosmic velocity
    v_o - the speed at which the Earth orbits the Sun
    G - gravitational constant

Now, this equation gives v3 = 13 km/s, while all the sources cite v3 = 16 km/s. Am I missing something?

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 8, 2009 #2

clem

Science Advisor

Shouldn't your R_s be the distance of the Earth from the Sun?

4. Mar 8, 2009 #3
    Yes, R_s is the distance form the Sun to the Earth. Anyhow, all other refrences give completely different expression than mine (e.g. Irodov - problem circa 1.230). I think that my energy calculation is ok. Or am I missing something?

5. Mar 8, 2009 #4

clem

Science Advisor

The sum v_o+v_3 should be a vector sum. Your answer is for the two velocities parallel.
    There is a range of answers for v_3, depending on the angle between them.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook