Calculating Third Cosmic Velocity: What Am I Missing?

• Thread starter Heirot
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Velocity
In summary, the conversation discusses the minimal speed needed for a body to escape the Earth's gravity and the equation for calculating it using conservation of energy. The equation gives a result of v_3 = 13 km/s, while other sources cite v_3 = 16 km/s. There is also a discrepancy in the expression used, but the speaker believes their energy calculation is correct. The other person points out that v_o and v_3 should be added as vectors, leading to a range of answers for v_3 depending on the angle between them.
Heirot
... is the minimal speed (relative to the Earth) which must be imparted on a body resting on the Earth's surface to escape the Solar (and Terrestrial) gravity. So, if one uses the conservation of energy (neglecting the Earth's rotation about its axis), one has

1/2 m (v_3 + v_o)^2 = G m (M_s / R_s + M_e / R_e), where

m - mass of the body
M_s/e, R_s/e - mass of the Sun (Earth) and distance from its center to the body
v_3 - third cosmic velocity
v_o - the speed at which the Earth orbits the Sun
G - gravitational constant

Now, this equation gives v3 = 13 km/s, while all the sources cite v3 = 16 km/s. Am I missing something?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Shouldn't your R_s be the distance of the Earth from the Sun?

Yes, R_s is the distance form the Sun to the Earth. Anyhow, all other refrences give completely different expression than mine (e.g. Irodov - problem circa 1.230). I think that my energy calculation is ok. Or am I missing something?

The sum v_o+v_3 should be a vector sum. Your answer is for the two velocities parallel.
There is a range of answers for v_3, depending on the angle between them.

1. What is Third Cosmic Velocity?

Third Cosmic Velocity is the velocity required for a spacecraft to escape the gravitational pull of a celestial body, such as a planet or moon, and enter into orbit around another celestial body. It is also known as the escape velocity.

2. How is Third Cosmic Velocity calculated?

The formula for calculating Third Cosmic Velocity is V = √(GM/R), where V is the velocity, G is the gravitational constant, M is the mass of the celestial body, and R is the distance from the center of the celestial body to the spacecraft.

3. What factors can affect Third Cosmic Velocity?

The mass and size of the celestial body, as well as the distance from the center of the celestial body, are the main factors that can affect Third Cosmic Velocity. Other factors such as atmospheric drag and gravitational pull from other celestial bodies in the vicinity can also have an impact.

4. Can Third Cosmic Velocity be exceeded?

Yes, Third Cosmic Velocity can be exceeded if the spacecraft is propelled by an external force, such as a rocket engine. However, once the spacecraft reaches Third Cosmic Velocity, no additional propulsion is needed to maintain its escape from the celestial body.

5. Why is Third Cosmic Velocity important to space exploration?

Third Cosmic Velocity is crucial for spacecraft to successfully navigate through space and reach their intended destinations. It also helps scientists understand the dynamics of the universe and the gravitational forces at play between celestial bodies.