1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Third law of thermodynamics

1. Dec 7, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    BY consideration of the pressure coefficient dp/dt|V determine whether a real system can be governed by the van der Waals equation, the ideal gas equation.

2. Relevant equations
    pV=nRT ideal gas
    (p+a/V^2)(V-b)=nRT Van der Walls

3. The attempt at a solution
    Using a Maxwell relation we can rewrite the pressure coefficient as dS/dV|T, which must equal 0 as T->0 from the third law. So then we need to check the behaviour of the two equations of state:

Van der Walls I get the pressure coefficient=nR/(V-b)=1/T (p+a/V^2) which goes to infinity as T goes to zero.

Similarly I get for an ideal gas the coefficient =nR/V=p/T which I don't think goes to zero either.

So it looks like neither works. I was expecting the ideal gas to fail since it doesn't take into account intermolecular forces and non-zero molecular volume, but I'm a bit surprised the van der Waal equation doesn't work, so if someone could check my working I'd appreciate it.

ps.dp/dT|V means partial dp by dT at constant V.
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted