Solving the Puzzle of the Suspended Brick

• Thread starter trueblue
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Puzzle
In summary, the conversation discusses a physics problem involving a brick hanging from the ceiling by a weak rope and another rope being pulled by a student. The first question is about the forces on the brick and the second question involves the difference between the two rope forces on the brick, with a suggestion to draw a free body diagram and wear a helmet if conducting an experiment.
trueblue
Hi: I have two questions to answer and I,m not sure of the answers. I have looked in textbooks but that didn't help. The first one is:
There is a brick hanging from the ceiling by a weak rope. there is another rope atached to the brick which a student is holding. If the second rope is pulled slowlly the first one breaks, but if the second rope is pulled abruptlly then it is the one that breaks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Very true.

trueblue said:
Hi: I have two questions to answer and I,m not sure of the answers. I have looked in textbooks but that didn't help. The first one is:
There is a brick hanging from the ceiling by a weak rope. there is another rope atached to the brick which a student is holding. If the second rope is pulled slowlly the first one breaks, but if the second rope is pulled abruptlly then it is the one that breaks.
What are the forces on the brick? What is the difference between the two rope forces on the brick? (do a free body diagram). (PS, if you try this as an experiment, use a helmet:wink: ).

AM

Last edited:

1. How does the suspended brick puzzle work?

The suspended brick puzzle works by using the principles of balance and center of mass. The brick is placed on top of two smaller bricks or objects, with its center of mass perfectly balanced over the edge. This allows the brick to remain suspended in mid-air without falling.

2. What is the purpose of solving the suspended brick puzzle?

The purpose of solving the suspended brick puzzle is to demonstrate and understand the principles of balance and center of mass. This puzzle can also be used to teach problem-solving skills and critical thinking.

3. What factors affect the stability of the suspended brick?

The factors that affect the stability of the suspended brick include the weight and shape of the brick, the weight and placement of the supporting objects, and the surface on which the puzzle is performed.

4. Can the suspended brick puzzle be solved with any type of brick?

Yes, the suspended brick puzzle can be solved with any type of brick as long as it has a flat surface and a center of mass that can be balanced on the edge of the supporting objects.

5. How can the suspended brick puzzle be made more challenging?

The suspended brick puzzle can be made more challenging by using multiple bricks or objects to create a more complex structure, changing the placement and weight of the supporting objects, or using different types of bricks with varying shapes and sizes.