Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Third runway or jobs

1. Jan 13, 2009 #1

wolram

Gold Member

In the news in the UK, Greenpeace has purchased a plot of land the size of a football field, in the hope of stopping the expansion of Heathrow, Greenpeace is using the climate change argument to rally support for it's actions.
    Should Greenpeace be allowed to interfere in such matters as the future economy of a country?

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/environment/article5505435.ece

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 13, 2009 #2
    I have learned that the government can force the land back from GP/other individuals/orgs if it serves the interest of the majority. So interference causes some media fuss and delays until project goes ahead. Not the same thing as building highways when they find Siberian Flying Squirrel poop somewhere on the way. The highway has to be moved if any of that poop is found.

Ps. Wolram, why doesn't the link "spice up my love life the organic way" work?

4. Jan 13, 2009 #3

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It's not going to do them any good - thats what compulsory purchase is for.

I lost my last bits of belief in Greenpeace over Brent Spar (lets invent some radiation - that scares the public)
    They used to think:
    Acid rain is bad, nuclear powerstations are bad - therefore nuclear powerstations cause acid rain.
    That has been replaced with:
    Climate change is bad, nuclear powerstations are bad - therefore nuclear powerstations cause climate change

5. Jan 13, 2009 #4

wolram

Gold Member

The Internet police has diversities?

6. Jan 13, 2009 #5

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

In Wolram's case - I think it means Sheep!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?