This boat problem is killing me save me

• Thread starter guru
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Boat
In summary, the boat initially travels east at 5.0 m/s and experiences an acceleration of 0.80 m/s^2 at a direction of 40 degrees north of east for 6.0 seconds. Using the equation V_f = V_i + a * t, we can calculate the final velocity of the boat to be 9.2 m/s at a direction of 19.5 degrees.
guru
A boat travels east at 5.0 m/s. A sudden gust of wind gives the boat an acceleration of (.80m/s^2, 40 degress north of east).
What is the boat's speed and direction 6.0 s later when the gust subsides.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Try the equation:

[tex] V_f = V_i + a * t [/tex]

Vf= Final velocity
Vi= Initial velocity

a= accelration
t= time

It didn't work.
I applied the formula and had 9.8m/s

There's no way you could've gotten that answer.

I plugged in the inital and final velocity and the duration of the acceleration which was 6 seconds. The units check out. My results:

9.2 m/s at 19.5 degrees

How did you arrive at your solution?

1. What is the "boat problem" and why is it killing me?

The "boat problem" refers to a hypothetical situation where a person is stranded on a boat in the middle of the ocean with limited supplies. It is often used as a thought experiment to explore decision-making and survival strategies. It may feel overwhelming and life-threatening because of the uncertainty and lack of control in the situation.

2. Is there a solution to the boat problem?

There is no one definitive solution to the boat problem, as it depends on various factors such as the location, resources, and skills of the person. However, there are strategies and tips that can increase the chances of survival, such as rationing food and water, creating a signal for help, and staying calm and focused.

3. How long can a person survive on a boat without food and water?

The length of time a person can survive on a boat without food and water depends on several factors, including their physical health, the climate and sea conditions, and the availability of other resources like shelter and supplies. On average, a person can survive for about 3 days without water and 3 weeks without food, but this can vary significantly.

4. What are the psychological effects of being stranded on a boat?

Being stranded on a boat can have significant psychological effects on a person. It can lead to feelings of isolation, helplessness, and hopelessness. The uncertainty and lack of control in the situation can also cause extreme stress and anxiety. In some cases, it may even lead to hallucinations and delirium.

5. Is the "boat problem" a realistic scenario?

The "boat problem" may seem like a far-fetched scenario, but it is not entirely unrealistic. There have been instances of people surviving for extended periods on a boat in real-life situations, such as shipwrecks or being stranded at sea. However, it is crucial to remember that every situation is unique, and the outcome can vary greatly.