This Dynamics Problem is hard

In summary: Then use that distance to find the rotation rate of gear B. Then use the rotation rate of gear B to find the distance of gear A. Then use that distance to find the rotation rate of gear A.In summary, the problem involves finding the angular velocities of three gears in a General Plane motion of a rigid body scenario. The solution involves calculating the velocity of gear C's center of gravity, using the instantaneous center of zero velocity concept to find the tangential velocity of gear B, and using the relative velocities to find the angular velocities of all three gears. Gear A has an angular velocity of 14 rad/s, gear B has an angular velocity of 28.8 rad/s, and gear C has an angular velocity
Saladsamurai
!Desperate!This Dynamics Problem is Killing ME!

Homework Statement

We have ben dealing with General Plane motion of a rigid body and this problem has been getting the best of me for some time now

Picture1-7.png

I know from the text that the answers are [itex]\omega_a=14 rad/s[/itex] [itex]\omega_b=28.8 rad/s[/itex] and [itex]\omega_c=26.7 rads\s[/itex]

Now so far this is all I have been able to accomplish. I know that since member DE id rotating about E, the velocity of gear C's center of gravity is

[itex]v_c=r_{DE}\omega_D=.8 m/s[/itex]

I also know that this velocity must be equal to [itex]r_c\omega_c\Rightarrow \omega_C=\frac{.8}{.03}=26.667[/itex] This I presume is true since where C makes contact at F can be considered the instantaneous center of zero velocity (IC from now on).

I cannot seem to get this concept to work for the other gears though. I think that where gear C and B meet, their tangential velocities must be equal. Thus using IC to find that velocity,

[itex](v_t)_c=(v_t)_b=r_{c/IC}*\omega_c=.06*26.667=1.60 m/s[/itex] But now I am lost. I want to find the angular velocities of gears B and A.

Can someone please help me out here?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Okay, can someone clear this up for me...There is a velocity pointing to the right in between gears C and B, let's call it Vp. Now there is also a velocity pointing leftward between gears B and A, let's call it Vp'... now here is my question: IS Vp=Vp' ?

I am looking at a solution to this problem that the person who wrote it skipped a lot of steps in. It appears from their solution that Vp is not equal to Vp'. I don't see why not?

Maybe, because there are relative and apsolute velocity? You are right that same points have same velocity Vp=Vp' but you have velocity from DE. I have no time in this moment to solve you this problem. I'll try later.

Saladsamurai said:

Homework Statement

We have ben dealing with General Plane motion of a rigid body and this problem has been getting the best of me for some time now

Picture1-7.png

I know from the text that the answers are [itex]\omega_a=14 rad/s[/itex] [itex]\omega_b=28.8 rad/s[/itex] and [itex]\omega_c=26.7 rads\s[/itex]

Now so far this is all I have been able to accomplish. I know that since member DE id rotating about E, the velocity of gear C's center of gravity is

[itex]v_c=r_{DE}\omega_D=.8 m/s[/itex]

I also know that this velocity must be equal to [itex]r_c\omega_c\Rightarrow \omega_C=\frac{.8}{.03}=26.667[/itex] This I presume is true since where C makes contact at F can be considered the instantaneous center of zero velocity (IC from now on).

I cannot seem to get this concept to work for the other gears though. I think that where gear C and B meet, their tangential velocities must be equal. Thus using IC to find that velocity,

[itex](v_t)_c=(v_t)_b=r_{c/IC}*\omega_c=.06*26.667=1.60 m/s[/itex] But now I am lost. I want to find the angular velocities of gears B and A.

Can someone please help me out here?

Thanks
I'm no expert in mechanics or dynamics but here is how I would do this problem:
The outer ring has radius 50+ 40+ 30= 120 mm. Since the arm is rotating at 5 radians/s and there are [itex]2\pi[/itex] radians in the entire circle, the arm will complete [itex]5/2\pi[/itex] of the entire circle in a second. That circle has circumference [itex]240\pi[/itex] mm so the arm covers [itex](5/2\pi)(240\pi)[/itex]= 600 mm/s. The cog with radius 30 mm must cover that same distance in one second. Since it has circumference [itex]60\pi[/itex] mm, that means it must make [itex]600/60\pi= 10/\pi[/itex] complete turns per second. At [itex]2\pi[/itex] radians per turn, that is 20 radians/s.

The other two cogs, with radii of 40 and 50 mm, must also cover 600 mm/s and so you can calculate their angular speeds the same way.

....I like the approach Halls, however I know that 20 rad/s is not the solution to that gear, as given in OP. I think it is the relative velocities that are screwing me up.

Does anyone even look in this forum?

HallsofIvy said:
I'm no expert in mechanics or dynamics but here is how I would do this problem:
The outer ring has radius 50+ 40+ 30= 120 mm. Since the arm is rotating at 5 radians/s and there are [itex]2\pi[/itex] radians in the entire circle, the arm will complete [itex]5/2\pi[/itex] of the entire circle in a second. That circle has circumference [itex]240\pi[/itex] mm so the arm covers [itex](5/2\pi)(240\pi)[/itex]= 600 mm/s. The cog with radius 30 mm must cover that same distance in one second. Since it has circumference [itex]60\pi[/itex] mm, that means it must make [itex]600/60\pi= 10/\pi[/itex] complete turns per second. At [itex]2\pi[/itex] radians per turn, that is 20 radians/s.

The other two cogs, with radii of 40 and 50 mm, must also cover 600 mm/s and so you can calculate their angular speeds the same way.

Small error here -- you have the wrong distance to the end of the link. It should be 50 + 80 + 30 = 160 mm.
So:
160mm * 2*pi = 320*pi
(5 rad/sec) / 2*pi = 800 mm
800 mm / (60mm radius)/pi * (2*pi radians/turn) = 26.67 rad/sec

Now that you have omegaC, use that rotation rate to find the distance gear B travels.

What is dynamics?

Dynamics is a branch of physics that deals with the study of motion and forces and how they affect objects.

Why is this dynamics problem considered hard?

This dynamics problem may be considered hard because it requires a deep understanding of concepts such as velocity, acceleration, and forces, and may involve complex mathematical equations.

What are some common strategies for solving difficult dynamics problems?

Some common strategies for solving difficult dynamics problems include breaking down the problem into smaller parts, using diagrams and free-body diagrams to visualize the forces at play, and applying Newton's laws of motion.

How can I improve my understanding of dynamics to better solve this problem?

To improve your understanding of dynamics, you can review fundamental concepts and equations, practice solving various types of problems, and seek help from a tutor or teacher if needed.

Are there any real-life applications of this dynamics problem?

Yes, understanding dynamics is crucial in fields such as engineering, robotics, and aerospace, where knowledge of how forces and motion interact is necessary for designing and building structures, machines, and vehicles.