Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

This example is confusing me

1. Oct 27, 2012 #1
    So, um, I am getting confused on integration problems where you have to do something with "a constant factor of n". Like, this example...

[itex]\int\sqrt{1 + e^{4x^{3}}}e^{4x^{3}}x^{2}dx[/itex]

Then the example says to match it to the formula [itex]\int u^{n}du[/itex]

Okay... so it does that, but then... something I don't quite understand happens. It says that "du = [itex]e^{4x^{3}}(12x^{2})[/itex]" WAIT? WHERE DID THE 12 COME FROM? Then it says that "our integrand contains all of du except for the constant factor of 12" Then it does this...

[itex]\frac{1}{12}\int(1 + e^{4x^{3}})^{1/2} e^{4x^{3}}(12x^{2})dx[/itex]

Then it integrates like normal... but... WHERE DID THE 12 COME FROM? I don't know why, it just isn't obvious where this "constant factor of 12" came from?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 27, 2012 #2

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

What is the derivative of 4x^3?

4. Oct 27, 2012 #3
    So wait, I have to find the derivative of the exponent then add it to the terms in du? Like, there was an x^2 so I add 12x^2 to that and then take the reciprocal of 12 and move it outside the integral?

5. Oct 27, 2012 #4
    Seriously, somebody, I feel dumb because I am not getting this like am I supposed to find the derivative of u then add/multiply by the other thing?? UHHHHH...

6. Oct 27, 2012 #5

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If you compared the integrals, presumably the example then wants to substitute ##u = \sqrt{1 + e^{4x^3}}##

So what does ##du/dx## equal?

7. Oct 27, 2012 #6

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

No.
    What is the derivative of 1+e^(4x^3)??

8. Oct 27, 2012 #7
    Um I think this is the derivative..

[itex]\frac{du}{dx} = 12x^{2}e^{4x^{3}}[/itex]

OH OH OH! I'M SUPPOSED TO TAKE THE DERIVATIVE OF U THEN ADD IT TO THE OTHER PART? Right? And when do I have to move a constant factor outside the integral?

9. Oct 27, 2012 #8

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Now, I hope you see that 1=1/12*12.

Thus, we recognize that the expression in your original integral, "e^(4x^3)x^2dx"=1/12du"
    Agreed?
    Furthermore, the square root thing is now to be written as sqrt(u). Agreed?

10. Oct 27, 2012 #9
    Yes, I know 1/12(12)=1 and sure, sqrt(u). Oh wait.... du means... derivative of u... okay but what happens to the things that aren't part of u?

11. Oct 27, 2012 #10

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

So, then you have no further problems? :smile:

12. Oct 27, 2012 #11
    Well actually one last thing, what happens to stuff that isnt a part of u? Like the x^2 outside of sqrt(u)?

13. Oct 27, 2012 #12

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Read your own post 7 again.

14. Oct 27, 2012 #13
    Oh wait I don't add it... I replace it? OR DO I ADD IT? Lol I'm confusing myself now.

15. Oct 27, 2012 #14
    Okay I figured it out and worked a practice problem, the answers are at the back of the book but... I got:

[itex]-\frac{(cos2x + 1)^{3/2}}{3/2} + C [/itex]

However, the answer to the practices in the back of the book says it is over 3 not 3/2? What happened here, I'm sure it's algebraic but still...

Wait... is it because du = -2sin2x? Then the -2 would be in front and the 2's cancel? Is that right?

16. Oct 28, 2012 #15
    How do you expect us to verify your answer without first knowing the initial question?

If your answer is true though, then the question must be this:

[tex]\int 2\sin(2x)\sqrt{\cos(2x)+1}\,dx[/tex]

which is easily integrable (what is the derivative of [itex]\cos(2x)+1[/itex]?)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook