Forgetting the Harmfulness of Bad Habits: How Do You Handle It?

• Thread starter heman
  • Start date
In summary, people tend to forget the harmfulness of things when they indulge in them. This can be due to the pleasure that they get from the activity.
heman
i have a sort of feeling that when i indulge in some bad or objectionable activity which i am not supposed to do...after getting into it i forget about its badness...i really become kind of obsessive and it begins to come to me as thing that gives me pleasure...i am not pointing about addiction but rather on something like why it happens that i/we forget about harmfulness of the things...

Do you guys have similar experience...and how do you handle it!

and activities can be like smoking,watching movies,chatting with gals ...like these are the things which take me away...

Physics news on Phys.org
I believe this happens to everyone.

I certainly feel that way everytime...

EDIT: lol, when I think about the past 17 years of my life... How am I still alive? Seriously, there were so many times where I could see myself having been killed...

heman said:
i have a sort of feeling that when i indulge in some bad or objectionable activity which i am not supposed to do...after getting into it i forget about its badness...i really become kind of obsessive and it begins to come to me as thing that gives me pleasure...i am not pointing about addiction but rather on something like why it happens that i/we forget about harmfulness of the things...

Do you guys have similar experience...and how do you handle it!

and activities can be like smoking,watching movies,chatting with gals ...like these are the things which take me away...

Sounds perfectly normal to do this.

There is no way to handle it. Just enjoy it. :biggrin:

How about things you do that no one else knows you're doing? I go to Burger King in the a.m. for breakfast a couple of times a week. I enjoy this indulgence.

Umm that's not so good for you but you must enjoy life! You have to ask yourself do you want to die old and healthy or happy? Sometimes you can have it all and other times you can not. Little indulgences I think are good as long as we don't think or analyse them too much

It also comes down to what you consider wrong, as opposed to what others consider wrong. If it doesn't bother you, then who cares if it bothers someone else. If I'm smoking outdoors, for example, and someone gives me **** for messing up his space, my response is "I'm the one with advanced emphysemia. If I don't care about my own health, what the hell makes you think that I'd care about yours?"

interesting responses everyone...thanks!
Actually the basic problem is that i am very very obsessive about whatever i do...like i used to miss my classes,food and anything ...at times like when i am watching movies or reading some novel...anything out there ...i mean even important things can't break my continuity...that certainly means i am not ambitious but i normally get into pleasure seeking activities and forget everything...and above all fears etc. seems to me like have gone...may be i really don't care abt anything happening to me...but that doesn't mean that i don't understand things...may be i am caught in some kind of vicious circle...but i hardly find anything motivating to myself...i guess they arent symptoms of depression..if they are then i guess that state has become phenomenal to me...
Also i wasnt in the mood of making this thread because whatever problems are i know,,and whatever solutions are i guess i even know them...but even then i went ahead and made it...dont know why!

Mmm, watching movies and chatting to girls. You're going to hell.

:biggrin: been there many times!

1. How do bad habits form in the first place?

Bad habits can form through a combination of environmental, psychological, and biological factors. They may develop as a coping mechanism for stress or as a result of repeated actions or behaviors that are reinforced over time.

2. Why is it difficult to remember the harmful effects of bad habits?

Forgetting the harmful effects of bad habits can be due to a phenomenon known as cognitive dissonance. This is when our thoughts and behaviors are in conflict, and our brain tends to prioritize maintaining consistency and avoiding discomfort. As a result, we may downplay or forget the negative consequences of our bad habits.

3. How can we break the cycle of bad habits?

Breaking the cycle of bad habits involves identifying and understanding the triggers and underlying causes of the habit. It is also important to replace the bad habit with a healthier alternative and to have a support system in place. Consistency and patience are key in breaking bad habits.

4. Can bad habits be permanently eliminated?

It is possible to permanently eliminate bad habits, but it requires effort and commitment. By understanding the root causes of the habit and consistently practicing healthier alternatives, the brain can form new neural pathways and the habit can be replaced with a more positive behavior.

5. Are there any tips for preventing the formation of bad habits?

Preventing the formation of bad habits involves being mindful of our actions and behaviors and making conscious choices. Setting goals and having a plan in place can also help to prevent the development of unhealthy habits. It is also important to seek support and accountability from others when needed.