Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

This forum sucks

1. Apr 5, 2013 #1
    I posted a simple permutations question from my cambridge textbook to have my method elaborately refuted and provided with the appropriate method and solution, but after 2 hours, there isn't a single response to a high school level mathematics question.

Crappy forum

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 5, 2013 #2

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Firstly, people here provide help in their own time: no-one is paid for the assistance that they provide. You need to have some patience, and waiting merely 2 hours is not a sufficient level of patience.

Secondly, it turns out that, in fact, you only waited 90 minutes before posting this complaint. You now have a response to your post, which was provided within two hours of you posting your problem. I think that is a pretty damned good response time for something that is free and provided by volunteers.

4. Apr 5, 2013 #3

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

False. You posted this one hour and thirty-six minutes after you asked your question. (In the middle of the night in North America, I may add.) You received an answer seventeen minutes after that.

Now, let me ask you a question: how many people have you helped since you joined?

5. Apr 5, 2013 #4
    I've been helped with problems in maths and physics, every single time I asked, and as a result my understanding has increased.

Great forum

6. Apr 5, 2013 #5

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I had to check if this was posted April 1, because it sounds like a joke. I still hope it is. Maybe one of our regular members is trolling us from a gimmick account.

7. Apr 5, 2013 #6

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

I wonder how long it will take for the first one. Certainly more than 5 hours, but I expect a probability of more than 1/3 that it will never happen.

8. Apr 5, 2013 #7

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Even if people did get paid to answer, the forum still wouldn't suck relative to you. Since I haven't seen any paycheck from you personally. :smile:

9. Apr 5, 2013 #8

Dale

Staff: Mentor

:rofl:

I have a recommendation. Next year when we do PF 2013 awards I think we should make a new category for silliest complaint. I nominate this one. The year is still young, but this seems to be a strong early contender.

10. Apr 5, 2013 #9

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

It actually does happen that some questions here never receive answers. But it is very unfair to blame the forum members for this. You should start by looking at yourself. If I look at the problem you posted, then I immediately see that it is something I usually don't answer. Why not? Because the original post is bad. You have posted what you think is an answer, but you never really motivated your answer. How are we supposed to help you if we don't know what you are thinking? All we can possibly say is that the answer is right or wrong, but how does that help? You need to post your reasoning and only then can we give help.

Furthermore, it would really help if you would use LaTeX in your posts.

11. Apr 5, 2013 #10

jim hardy

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Here we serve no whine before its time.

12. Apr 5, 2013 #11

Borg

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This forum rocks

What a coincidence! I just happened to have a tab opened to the Wiki page on antisocial personality disorder when I saw this thread.

I like this idea but, I suspect that it would just lure in more trying to outdo each other. Next thing you know, we'll end up with a troll of the year award. Yikes!

13. Apr 5, 2013 #12

Dembadon

Gold Member

Your attitude sucks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook