This G.E. "Startup" course is killing me. :(

• Courses
  • Thread starter Jake_Jawbreaker
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Course
In summary, this semester I had to take a humanities course that is a huge stressor. The course is mostly about doing startup product and it's a group project. I'm not a startup hipster type and I don't have any experience in running a business. The workloads are enormous and I'm struggling to keep up.
Jake_Jawbreaker
So this semester I had to take

>>>One humanity course 3 credits <<<

One sociology course 3 credits
English II (B2 level) 3 credits
Calculus II 4 credits
Physics II (EM Circuits and Modern) 4 credits
Intro Chem 4 credits
History and Development of Physics 1 credit

But course that drains me so much isn't science or maths, It's a humanity course I had to take to fulfill my credits. I can't take another course because every course excepts for this one is full. I CANT AVOID THIS.

This course is mainly about doing startup product. I have to present bussiness model ,making products and actually selling them online (this course insists on using digital gadgets or social media to run bussiness) and it's a goddamned GROUP PROJECT.

The problems are
-I'm not startups hipster type.
-It's college ,everyone has different schedule so it's troublesome for group meeting.
-None of my groupmate has experience in running bussiness.
-Enormous workloads (80% from works and only 20% from the final).

Stressing over this course really distract me from studying science and maths course.

Physics news on Phys.org
I can't really stand this course but It's about half way of this semester.
I tried to tell myself it's a decent course that let me do bussiness and work in team but it doesn't help ,It isn't my nature.

By any chance would you give the name of this stressful humanities course?
Anyway, would you give the list of prerequisites or/and the course description?

Humanities courses are supposed to be those studies of the Human Condition, and will typically include History, Literature & Culture (often "Language" courses), maybe Linguistics (not sure about this one), Sociology (maybe, again not sure on this one), English, variously named ethnic or sub-group studies, Political Science. Maybe Art is included too (but again not really certain of this myself).

symbolipoint said:
By any chance would you give the name of this stressful humanities course?
Anyway, would you give the list of prerequisites or/and the course description?

Humanities courses are supposed to be those studies of the Human Condition, and will typically include History, Literature & Culture (often "Language" courses), maybe Linguistics (not sure about this one), Sociology (maybe, again not sure on this one), English, variously named ethnic or sub-group studies, Political Science. Maybe Art is included too (but again not really certain of this myself).

"Way of living life in the Digital Age"

First , I thought it's about using digital media and IoT gadgets but it isn't.

It should be named "startups and entreprenuership".

This sounds like one of those courses taken on a whim, with an expectation of being relatively easy, only to find out that it's one of the more challenging courses on the plate. It happens. I think most students have to wrestle with at least one course like this over the duration of their degree.

Some tips:
  1. You're either committed to taking the course or you're not. I realize you're venting somewhat in this post, but you can't change what the course actually is, what the assignments are, or how you're graded. So you either bite the bullet and work through it, or drop the course.
  2. It looks like you're tackling 22 credits for one semester. Maybe your system is different, but in my experience 15 credits was the norm per semester. 18 was considered overloading. 21 was generally not a good idea. The reason I bring this up is because with seven different courses to worry about in one semester, it looks like you've got a lot of juggling to do. Some of the stress you're experiencing from the course might just be general time scarcity. When you're jumping from one assignment to the next, it's hard to get in adequate exercise, sleep, down time, etc. And this wears down the best of us.
  3. Don't worry about what you are or are not. Work to the assignment.
  4. Remember the point of group work like this is to help you develop skills for coordinating with others, particularly under less than ideal conditions. Most people aren't inherently awesome at this. There's no shame in spending some time in honing these skills.
  5. Concentrate on the deliverables. While it would be nice to develop some great product that your group can market allowing you all to be twenty-two year old millionaires, the you quite likely won't. Follow the marking scheme. Concentrate on delivering what you're going to be graded on.
  6. Make sure you're clear on responsibilities from the beginning, or at least as soon as possible.
  7. The same goes for timelines. Start working on your project early.
  8. Every group will have one person who contributes the least. Strive not to be that person. Accept that not everyone will work to the same standard that you set for yourself.

Likes StatGuy2000, gmax137, gleem and 1 other person
Choppy said:
This sounds like one of those courses taken on a whim, with an expectation of being relatively easy, only to find out that it's one of the more challenging courses on the plate. It happens. I think most students have to wrestle with at least one course like this over the duration of their degree.

Some tips:
  1. You're either committed to taking the course or you're not. I realize you're venting somewhat in this post, but you can't change what the course actually is, what the assignments are, or how you're graded. So you either bite the bullet and work through it, or drop the course.
  2. It looks like you're tackling 22 credits for one semester. Maybe your system is different, but in my experience 15 credits was the norm per semester. 18 was considered overloading. 21 was generally not a good idea. The reason I bring this up is because with seven different courses to worry about in one semester, it looks like you've got a lot of juggling to do. Some of the stress you're experiencing from the course might just be general time scarcity. When you're jumping from one assignment to the next, it's hard to get in adequate exercise, sleep, down time, etc. And this wears down the best of us.
  3. Don't worry about what you are or are not. Work to the assignment.
  4. Remember the point of group work like this is to help you develop skills for coordinating with others, particularly under less than ideal conditions. Most people aren't inherently awesome at this. There's no shame in spending some time in honing these skills.
  5. Concentrate on the deliverables. While it would be nice to develop some great product that your group can market allowing you all to be twenty-two year old millionaires, the you quite likely won't. Follow the marking scheme. Concentrate on delivering what you're going to be graded on.
  6. Make sure you're clear on responsibilities from the beginning, or at least as soon as possible.
  7. The same goes for timelines. Start working on your project early.
  8. Every group will have one person who contributes the least. Strive not to be that person. Accept that not everyone will work to the same standard that you set for yourself.

Thanks you for this valuable piece of advice :)

1. What is the purpose of the "Startup" course?

The purpose of the "Startup" course is to provide individuals with the necessary skills and knowledge to start and manage their own business or startup.

2. How is the "Startup" course structured?

The "Startup" course typically consists of lectures, workshops, and hands-on activities that cover topics such as business planning, marketing, finance, and operations.

3. Who can benefit from taking the "Startup" course?

The "Startup" course is designed for anyone who is interested in starting their own business or startup, regardless of their background or experience level.

4. How long does the "Startup" course usually last?

The duration of the "Startup" course can vary, but it typically lasts anywhere from a few weeks to a few months, depending on the intensity and depth of the curriculum.

5. What are some key skills that can be gained from the "Startup" course?

The "Startup" course can help individuals develop skills such as critical thinking, problem-solving, communication, and project management, which are essential for running a successful business or startup.