Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

This guy is my hero

1. Sep 29, 2005 #1

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Waid Mobile Observatory

When I'm 40 and I retire, I'm going to build myself one of these.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 29, 2005 #2
    I want one too. Maybe i can convert my Dad`s mobile caravan. atleast i can have a nice hot brew while working!

I can`t see how he`s going to level it.

4. Sep 29, 2005 #3

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Leveliing isn't the tricky bit; I wonder how he's going to dampen vibrations.

5. Sep 29, 2005 #4

Danger

Gold Member

I don't think it would have to be levelled accurately--just stabilized. Screwjacks or hydraulic legs on the corners could do either.

Neat idea, for sure.

edit: Dave, your post wasn't there when I was doing mine. As for the vibrations, the aforementioned legs could consist partly of automotive shock absorbers or spring-loaded telescoping segments. I don't know which specific vibrations you're talking about, though. All that I can think of right off are wind and the observer's own movements inside. I don't assume that he'd be using the thing right close to a highway.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2005
  6. Sep 29, 2005 #5
    What’s that! That’s not a mobile observatory. Now THIS! is a mobile observatory!

BTW, the 20” Ritchey-Chretien alone is $48,000

7. Sep 29, 2005 #6
    True

Photography on a windy night, forget it :mad:

*DROOLS*

Last edited: Sep 29, 2005
  8. Sep 29, 2005 #7

Danger

Gold Member

I'd like mine with the optional missile launcher, please. :tongue2:

9. Sep 29, 2005 #8

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

I was thinking about the vibrations bit this afternoon - the solution is that the telescope doesn't sit on the trailer! The pier just protrudes through a hole in the floor and has self-leveling hydraulic tripod legs folded into the bottom of the trailer. At least - that's how mine's going to work. :biggrin:

10. Sep 30, 2005 #9

turbo

Gold Member

It looks like the guy with the goggles is getting a direct feed from the CCD at the RC's prime focus...or is it just wishful thinking?

I noticed also that the "little" (about 12") 'scope under the RC is operating with an off-axis aperture mask. Custom-made with top-quality materials - black construction paper and gaffer's tape. :tongue2:

11. Sep 30, 2005 #10

turbo

Gold Member

Yep, protruding through the floor is the way to eliminate vibration from the trailer. You just need a method of jacking up the pier and locking the base to the underside of the trailer frame so you can move the trailer.

There're really no need to level the pier accurately, it just needs to be upright enough to remain really stable. The trick is that the head of the pier must be able to rotate and your mount needs to be adjustable in elevation. With these two motions, you can polar-align, no matter how you park your trailer.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?