1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

This is a limits question.

1. May 22, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the following limit.

2. Relevant equations
    Capture3.JPG

3. The attempt at a solution

I cannot apply L' Hopital rule because it does not apply to this question. Hence I have no idea how to approach to this question. Please give me some guidelines.

2. jcsd
  3. May 22, 2016 #2

Math_QED

Homework Helper

What is lim(x->0) lnx? What is lim(x->0) 1/x^n?

4. May 22, 2016 #3
    I already know the answer to this and it is zero but I do not know how it comes.
    For your question, lim (x->0) lnx is infinity and lim(x->0) 1/x^n is again infinity.
    But I do not find any help from these two.

5. May 22, 2016 #4

Math_QED

Homework Helper

The answer is not zero.
    And more specifically, what kind of infinity are the limits above I asked for? I also forgot to mention the following very important thing: lim(x->0) lnx is NOT defined. The right handed limit is defined though.

6. May 22, 2016 #5
    I think The question has some printing mistake or so. However thanks for your kind concern.

7. May 22, 2016 #6

Math_QED

Homework Helper

The answer is that the limit does not exist since lnx is undefined for negative numbers. The right handed limit can be obtained by splitting the limit in 2 seperate limits by using lim x>a fg = (lim x>a f )*( lim x>a g).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted