Astronuc's Birthday Odds: 1 in 365

• Thread starter tribdog
  • Start date
In summary, the mentor I replaced, zero, celebrated 2 dozen birthdays in the same month and people were still wishing him happy birthday. The other three choices were all of the above, but I voted for #2 because I see that you are keeping Moonbear and Evo busy.

If someone posts a birthday thread and it isnt said person's birthday that thread is

• a complete waste of time

Votes: 1 4.5%
  • a clever and funny way to spread joy and happiness

Votes: 9 40.9%
  • grounds for banishment

Votes: 2 9.1%
  • a sad cry for attention

Votes: 8 36.4%
  • other (please fill in your own answer)

Votes: 2 9.1%

• Total voters
tribdog
There is only a 1 in 365 chance that it really is Astronuc's birthday. I'd bet it probably isn't

Physics news on Phys.org
Okay, I guess this one got done right...I'll only embarrass you a little by pointing out that the two other attempts have been deleted. :devil:

You forgot an "all of the above" option. :biggrin:

I voted for #2.

The mentor I replaced, zero, kept changing his birthdate in his profile and celebrated 2 dozen birthdays in the same month and people were still wishing him happy birthday. (I swear some people just post mindlessly to birthday threads).

Anyone know what happened to zero?

tribdog said:
There is only a 1 in 365 chance that it really is Astronuc's birthday. I'd bet it probably isn't
Additionally, you weren't specific as to whether you were referring to the motivation of the person claiming to have a birthday or referring to the poll respondent's opinion of the person claiming to have a birthday.

I decided you must mean the motivation of the person claiming to have a birthday - it would be kind of embarrassing for Astronuc if I said it was a desperate plea for attention.

Evo said:
I voted for #2.
The mentor I replaced, zero, kept changing his birthdate in his profile and celebrated 2 dozen birthdays in the same month and people were still wishing him happy birthday. (I swear some people just post mindlessly to birthday threads).
:rofl: I'm waiting for someone's head to explode trying to reconcile #2 with the other 3 choices since my response is all of the above. :rofl: (We did slip tribdog some black market GOOBF cards, right?)

Anyone know what happened to zero?
I must have scared him away. He just up and disappeared right around when I discovered GD, or shortly before, so I never really knew him or his posts, other than some older posts still lingering when I arrived. He must have met a woman and got a life. That's another reason we need a PF Matchmaking Service...we can't afford to have valuable members start having a life with people who don't respect the need to visit PF daily. :biggrin:

typo there: should be hourly

BobG said:
Additionally, you weren't specific as to whether you were referring to the motivation of the person claiming to have a birthday or referring to the poll respondent's opinion of the person claiming to have a birthday.
I decided you must mean the motivation of the person claiming to have a birthday - it would be kind of embarrassing for Astronuc if I said it was a desperate plea for attention.

ooh, i never thought of that. i should clarify then. I think Trib is pathetic and sad, not Astronuc!

thank you. it's good to know you think about me

well of course i think about you. its sort of like when you drive past a car accident. Its sick and disturbing and you don't want to do it, and it makes you feel gross and depressed afterwards, but you can't help but do it.

Moonbear said:
:rofl: I'm waiting for someone's head to explode trying to reconcile #2 with the other 3 choices since my response is all of the above. :rofl: (We did slip tribdog some black market GOOBF cards, right?)
Heh, all of the above, love it. :rofl:

I must have scared him away. He just up and disappeared right around when I discovered GD, or shortly before, so I never really knew him or his posts, other than some older posts still lingering when I arrived. He must have met a woman and got a life. That's another reason we need a PF Matchmaking Service...we can't afford to have valuable members start having a life with people who don't respect the need to visit PF daily. :biggrin:
He had just moved to Florida for a great new job he'd gotten, went on a diet, started working out, looked great and got a girlfriend, then *poof* he was gone. :grumpy:

tribdog said:
I see that you are keeping Moonbear and Evo busy. I wish you had asked first :rolleyes:

Anyway, I suppose its the thought that counts, eh?

I would have recommended PF Engineers Appreciation Day!

Or one could have simply done a TGIF!

What is "Astronuc's Birthday Odds: 1 in 365"?

"Astronuc's Birthday Odds: 1 in 365" is a mathematical concept that calculates the likelihood of two people sharing the same birthday in a group of 365 individuals.

How is "Astronuc's Birthday Odds: 1 in 365" calculated?

The calculation is based on the probability theory and assumes that all birthdays are equally likely to occur. It takes into consideration the number of people in the group and the number of possible combinations of birthdays.

What is the significance of "Astronuc's Birthday Odds: 1 in 365"?

This concept is often used to demonstrate the counterintuitive nature of probability. It shows that in a group of seemingly unrelated individuals, the chances of two people sharing the same birthday are surprisingly high.

Can "Astronuc's Birthday Odds: 1 in 365" be applied to real-life situations?

Yes, this concept has been used in various fields such as statistics, social sciences, and cryptography. It can also be used in decision-making processes that involve probability and risk assessment.

Is there a way to improve the odds in "Astronuc's Birthday Odds: 1 in 365"?

Yes, the odds can be improved by increasing the number of people in the group. As the number of people increases, the chances of two people sharing the same birthday also increase.