1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

This is an engineering statics question, I need help on trig

1. Sep 11, 2011 #1
    1. If cylinder E weighs 30lb and theta = 15 degrees, determine the weight of cylinder F

2. Sigma F = 0 (Statics question)

3. I have gotten my separate components but I don't know how to solve the equations this sounds really stupid since I'm in calc III and physics II but my brain is just crapping out on me.

I have attached a sketch of the problem
    The only thing(s) that are given are the three angles, and one weight.

I am having a hard time figuring out how to solve these equations.

So far I have
    Sum(x) = 0 = -Fab cos30 + Fbc cos15
    Sum(y) = 0 = Fbc sin30 - 30 - Fab sin15

I even have the solutions on hibbeler however I want to learn how to solve these equations, its definitely a basic concept that I should know how to do, that is solving trig problems.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 11, 2011 #2
    Can you solve the first equation for [itex]F_{ab}[/itex] in terms of [itex]F_{bc}[/itex]? Once you do that, you should be able to plug that into the second equation and solve for [itex]F_{bc}[/itex].

4. Sep 12, 2011 #3
    Even with opposite signs /components?
    I will try
    Thank you

Question:
    For the FBD on knot B
    Can I not use the properties of angles that are symmetrical about a line segment to assume that Fcb cos 15 = 30cos15?

Actually in the physical sense that's not correct seeing as there is another tension force on the other side of knot b.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 12, 2011
  5. Sep 12, 2011 #4
    I think I've got it, I just hit a dumb wall of "I can't do trig even though I'm in calc III"

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook