Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

This is not a 2012 prophesies discussion - Institute for Human Continuity.

1. Aug 26, 2009 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Discussion of 2012 prophesies has been closed, as per the general posting guidelines.
    https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=2269439#post2269439

This is about a commercial that I just saw on tv for the "Institute for Human Continuity", which claims to be "preparing us for the world of 2012"! I hate to encourage the traffic for a site like this, but this is too much to believe.
    http://www.instituteforhumancontinuity.org/

At the moment I can't think of tv commercial that I've ever seen before for something like this. It almost smacks of an entirely new genre of... um...hmmm...well...I don't know quite what to call it. They are even running a lottery to see who gets to survive; not to mention having an election for the post-2012 leader of the world!

I'm not sure if this is some kind of expensive joke or what.

Edit: Oh crud! I bet it is a promo for a new movie or something...

Last edited: Aug 26, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 26, 2009 #2
    Re: This is not a 2012 prophesies discussion.

I saw a commercial one time going on something of the same lines but it was for a movie... maybe this is the same thing?

http://www.whowillsurvive2012.com/

Edit:
    yeah its for the movie, i first saw these commercials on PS3. If you go to the site i linked to and click the experience there are other websites listed. IHC is one of them that is for promoting the movie. I am assuming this movie is gonna do well... i know when i first saw the commercial i wanted to see it :)

4. Aug 26, 2009 #3

Poor Ivan caught the marketing virus. ;-)

I vaguely remember hearing something about this movie. I didn't remember until I read your comment about it possibly being a movie promo though.

5. Aug 26, 2009 #4

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hee hee. Everytime I hear of the 2012 nonsense (and now a movie to reinforce it) lately, I can't help but consider that there's a certain segment of the US population who enjoys ignoring facts and who would be highly susceptible to believing a conspiracy theory about armageddon that I would like to have believe it just long enough to be too busy preparing to make it to the polls on election day that year.

6. Aug 26, 2009 #5

If this is not a joke, this is very funny anyway.

7. Aug 26, 2009 #6

drizzle

Gold Member

:grumpy: what about camels?????

my camel won’t be happy to hear this :biggrin:

8. Aug 26, 2009 #7

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I have a prediction regarding 2012: When the movie comes out this fall sites such as PF will be inundated with questions from moviegoers. We do have a little bit of time to prepare for this onslaught. One possibility: Create a (closed) sticky thread in general discussion that simply says "it's only a movie". When someone posts about 2012, point to the sticky thread and lock the questioner's thread.

9. Aug 26, 2009 #8

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That might be a good plan. Personally, I'd rather just suggest they ask again in 2013 if they still think it's a good question. But, yeah, I'm also anticipating that this will be another movie that gets a reaction like the DaVinci Code did of people who somehow interpret it as documentary rather than fiction.

Though, from the previews, I'm not even interested in seeing the movie. It looks like it's not going to be anything but another one of those blow up all the cities with CGI type movies with a thin dialogue mostly consisting of "Oh ****! Look out! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!!"

10. Aug 26, 2009 #9

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I prophesy that:
    • The new transport system will be an embarrassing failure
    • It will rain
    • The UK will win a few medals in obscure sports that nobody else plays - the papers will be full of this while ignoring the track and field.
    • Whichever bunch are in power will claim all the glory while blaming the cost on the last bunch.
    • It will cost 2x whatever they currently claim - which is 2x what they originally said. Income from the event will have the opposite trend.
    • After 2012 the new facilities will be an expensive white elephant when it's discovered that the buildings were built quickly and cheaply and leak but there is no money to maintain or run them.
    • Afterwards more money will be spent on security to keep kids from running around the carpark of the new sporting facilities than are spent on sport.

Is there another global scale disaster planned for 2012?

11. Aug 26, 2009 #10

I guess the movie will satisfy the otherwise disappointed conspiracy nuts.

12. Aug 26, 2009 #11

"The most wasted day of all is that on which you have not laughed." (I don't know who said it, but I like it.:biggrin:)

Answering the OP, Ivan, yep there is a science-fiction movie produced by Columbia Pictures that's coming out in November 2009 called "2012". It's based on the novel FAREWELL ATLANTIS by Jackson Curtis. You can see the worldwide release dates of the movie. http://www.sonypictures.com/movies/2012/international/ [Broken]

Once you get to the above website you'll see "CLICK TO ENTER" to the left of the page. If you do decide to click, you only have seconds to look at the bottom of the page, then if want to, click on the yellow sign, THIS IS THE END, which is nothing more than media hype as far as I'm concerned, but some people are taking this stuff seriously. (Not me.) I do like to watch sci-fi flicks for fun when I've got the time which is rare. Right now I'm reading "MEN OF THE OLD STONE AGE, Their Environment, Life, and Art" by Henry Fairfield Osborn, New York , Charles Scribner's Sons, 1919. This book is in mint condition.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  13. Aug 26, 2009 #12

ideasrule

Homework Helper

I'll be having a birthday on the predicted date of the armaggedon: December 21, 2012. I'll be sure to invite some believers over.

14. Aug 26, 2009 #13

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Ivan,
    I saw the same commercial, but, after removing my jaw from the floor, figured out that it was a movie.

I'll bet that the same group that panicked for Y2K will be buying another generator and replacing or adding to their disaster stash.

15. Aug 26, 2009 #14

Pyrrhus

Homework Helper

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
  16. Aug 26, 2009 #15

It works : I find it so hilarious that I am actually wondering whether I will go see the movie, although I am perfectly convinced it would be a bore... They hacked my brain through humor ! I'm guessing Ivan already has a ticket.

17. Aug 26, 2009 #16
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
  18. Aug 26, 2009 #17

Wax

I think I'm going to sign up and secure my chances. Chances of a PS3! :rofl:

At the bottom of the website it says all rights reserved by Sony entertainment in case you guys missed it.

19. Aug 26, 2009 #18

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yep. I posted as soon as I saw it, but within a few minutes I realized this must be a hollywood diddy.

Anymore it is hard to tell where the jokes end and conspiracy theories begin! My first thought was that some group was running the most sophisticated scam of its kind that I had ever seen - Let's see, if we run an ad a few times at a cost of $500,000, and we get two-million people to each send $5...

20. Aug 26, 2009 #19

Ivan,

Please note that this topic is in violation of PF rules, and (to quote you), "the rules don't specify who makes the claim. All discussion of is banned. The reason is that we address the subject in the rules and explain why we don't don't discuss it - it violates the laws of physics. If there is any evidence for free energy, it will require a paper published in a proper journal."

If you're going to give warning to other members who make similar posts, just for offhandedly mentioning a crackpot idea when they specifically state that they don't believe it, you should follow your own rules.

21. Aug 26, 2009 #20

Paying tribute to NASA - Astrobiology - Ask a Astrobiologist:biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook