Can becoming a US citizen increase your chances of getting into grad school?

• Thread starter flyingpig
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Stupid
In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty of gaining citizenship in the United States and how it compares to the difficulty of getting accepted into a grad school. It is mentioned that becoming a citizen can take years, but a marriage to a US citizen can make the process easier. However, one person believes it is still harder than getting into grad school.
flyingpig
Do you know anyone that wanted to get into a Grad School into the United States so bad that they became U.S. Citizen and then apply?? And they actually got accepted??

Physics news on Phys.org

I would venture it's harder to become a US citizen before entering grad school than to actually get admitted :)

Ryker said:
I would venture it's harder to become a US citizen before entering grad school than to actually get admitted :)

I actually lol'd that might be true

Unless you had an easy way to gain citizenship (like already married to someone who's a citizen), becoming a citizen is probably much harder than getting into grad school.

Becoming a citizen is not hard. It takes years. For a marriage, about 3 years you can start applying for citizenship. My friend's sister just got married to her boyfriend. They have been together as lovers for like five years already, and she was a foreigner.

1. Has anyone ever actually succeeded in something that they thought was a stupid question at first?

Yes, there have been many instances where someone has succeeded in something that they initially thought was a stupid question. In fact, some of the most groundbreaking discoveries and inventions have come from asking seemingly silly questions.

2. Why do people feel the need to preface their questions with "this is probably a stupid question"?

This phrase is often used as a way to express uncertainty or lack of confidence in one's own knowledge or understanding. It can also be used to soften the question or show humility.

3. Is it important to ask questions, even if they may seem stupid?

Absolutely! Asking questions is a crucial part of the scientific process. It allows for the exploration of new ideas and can lead to important discoveries. No question is ever truly stupid, as it can lead to valuable insights and knowledge.

4. How can I overcome the fear of asking "stupid" questions?

One way to overcome this fear is to remember that there are no stupid questions. It can also be helpful to remind yourself that asking questions is a sign of curiosity and intelligence. Additionally, having a supportive and open-minded environment can make it easier to ask questions without fear of judgment.

5. Can asking "stupid" questions actually make me a better scientist?

Yes, asking questions, even ones that may seem silly, can help improve critical thinking skills and encourage creative problem-solving. It also shows a willingness to learn and expand one's knowledge, which are important traits for a scientist to have.