Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

This is so unfair

1. Jun 19, 2009 #1
    This is so unfair!!!

I had my PH Waste (civil engineering) exam yesterday. I was really worried about this subject so I started my revision early. I spent most time on this before the exams (got 90% in one assignment I worked hard on) Then I spent two days in the study week and went through a 200 page book highlighting important points and taking endless notes (mind maps, brainstorms - you name it!). I also went over past 5-6 years exam papers but made a point to not to focus on them for too much (surely they won't repeat the same questions as last few years). Boy, was I wrong? The exam papers was 95% same as 2008 paper!! As a result of this, the guys who ONLY went through last 1-2 exam papers the night before did a better job than I did. My mistake was to be wanting to cover everything done in class and be diverse and through in my revision. I will still probably get around 70% but the guys who studied the night before reckon they will get 85+ (when I told them I will get around 70 they were like, "WHAT?!?" because they know I worked hard on it. What a shame. I don't have anything against those guys but in general I do feel that the education system is totally screwed.

Phew I feel better now :P

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 19, 2009 #2
    Re: This is so unfair!!!

yeah, but you will have a much better grasp of the subject than them. they learnt simply to pass the exam.

see whos laughing when they can't hold a job because they don't have a clue what they're supposed to be doing!!!

4. Jun 19, 2009 #3

drizzle

Gold Member

looks like a heavy load:tongue:

exactly, you didn’t waste your time by doing such a tremendous hard work, but I must say, you should be reasonable [cause you know at the end your grades do reflect how good you are] so you should focus on the main points of your subject and study from the references your professor told you, to get the grades, but you still can do further reading in your free time for a better understanding and good knowledge.

5. Jun 19, 2009 #4

True drizzle, but as I also said, it all comes down to doing a job. Having good grades may get you hired first, but it doesn't mean you keep the job. If you don't have a clue, you ain't gonna be there long.

6. Jun 19, 2009 #5

drizzle

Gold Member

I didn't say it's wrong, but if he hasn't got the grades would he get hired in the first place:wink:

7. Jun 19, 2009 #6

You never know, I only have average grades but I beat a bunch of others from my uni with perfect grades getting my placement. As long as he has good experience, and can show his knowledge, he should be fine.

However, once the companies have expended the useless students who simply learn to pass, they're bound to swing his way.

8. Jun 19, 2009 #7

drizzle

Gold Member

that's a 50 50 chance, you wouldn't go through this whole education process to end up with a chance you may have, again it's not that I don't agree with you he still have to work hard to get the knowledge and to keep the job.

9. Jun 19, 2009 #8

50 50, did you just make that number up? Since when does you never know mean 50 50, you never know if it will definitely rain tomorrow, but given the weather reports you can certainly swing your odds of guessing it right. If you don't know what to do theres a 100% chance you lose the job. If you can blag it or know the stuff there is a better chance of you keeping the job, can't put a figure on it, varies by person and job. If you go through the whole education process and only study the work to pass the exams, you won't have a good strong knowledge to go through life with, and have wasted your time in uni. If you do all the work and study the material put in front of you then you should be able to do well in the exams and get on with a job later on in life well.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2009
  10. Jun 19, 2009 #9

drizzle

Gold Member

that's right if you were studying most of your time, not just before the exams this will distract your mind more than letting you concentrate on the material you're studying, so it basically depends on the person himself and when/how he studied.

11. Jun 19, 2009 #10

You did read he did the past exam papers, and he went through his notes highlighting important things. As you would with exam revision, unless you are only studying to pass the exam.

If you work hard all the way up to the exams you wouldn't have to do last minute cramming and the exam papers would only aid your revision.

12. Jun 19, 2009 #11

Seems like your friend knows how to study and you don't. Hopefully you won't make that dumb mistake twice.

13. Jun 19, 2009 #12

drizzle

Gold Member

so are you supporting the guy now or criticizing him, he should do well in his exams cause he just follows what you point out here:biggrin:

14. Jun 19, 2009 #13

What? I say you should work hard all the time throughout the course, not cram last minute and hope for the best.

Your posts haven't made much sense so far but this one really pushes it.

Re-read his post, and understand it.

15. Jun 19, 2009 #14

drizzle

Gold Member

did I say something different than that?

hey there, I do understant his post but what I don't understand here is your point, are you with/against having good grades?!! and is there anything that I said you dissagree with?!!

16. Jun 19, 2009 #15

Nothing wrong with good grades, what I hate is people who simply study to pass them (the people he has mentioned).

"[cause you know at the end your grades do reflect how good you are]" - This statement I disagree with. They only show you answered the paper correctly. Not that you truly understand the work.

I for one am rubbish at exams, always panic and mess them up regardless of how much work I do. But practically and when faced with a real life situation I'm much better.

As I said, a person who only learns to pass the exams is highly unlikely to hold a job very long. Regardless of the grades they hold. The true measure of a persons abilities and knowledge are how good they are at their job.

17. Jun 19, 2009 #16

Let me rock your world. Do you think you have all the knowledge to do whatever job you are hired for?

I hate to be the one to break it to you, but the answer is no. So, the company want's someone that can find the answer very quickly while not lingering on stuff that's not important/relevant to getting the task done.

In this regard, the OP failed miserably and has a lot to learn from this guy you detest so much. This guy will be getting the promotion in the real world (not you).

I used to think like you do, until I had to do real work. Then you wise up quickly and realize how to learn a lot more efficiently.

Studying the way he did was a waste of time.

18. Jun 19, 2009 #17

I know you won't know everything in a job, but to have a sound knowledge going into it will give you a much better standing at keeping the job than someone who can just about remember the examples on the exam papers they learnt. Yes, the OP did fail in the sense all his work led to a poorer result.

19. Jun 19, 2009 #18

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

What happens to the "other guy" when the exam paper doesn't predominantly contain last years' questions, but instead contains things he's never seen before?

20. Jun 19, 2009 #19

Exactly, it's a very risky thing to do. When it works you get a fantastic result, but when it doesn't you can fail miserably.

21. Jun 19, 2009 #20

I'm satisfied the way I revised to be honest. If I had to sit this exam all over again, not knowing what is going to come in the exam, I will revise the way I did this time.

However I do not think it was not fair for the lecturer (or whoever set the paper) to give us a paper like this. He was simply too lazy to come up with different questions so he went with the past ones which is quite disappointing. Its understandable if 3-4 questions are repeated but not the whole bloody paper. I'm not exaggerating but every single single question in that exam was asked in either 2008 or 2007's exam. He didn't even bother going back to 2005 or 2006 paper!

Hopefully the employers understand what really goes on in the education system and I hope they realize that grades are not an accurate representation of the ability or knowledge (I will probably get a B or B+ which isn't all that bad either ;) ).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook