Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

This is surveyNewton or Einstein

1. Mar 21, 2006 #1
    Who is more important for Physics World, Newton or Einstein? And why? Who do you think is more intelligent based on each one's contributions to science and level of difficulty they discovered?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 21, 2006 #2
    I think Newton, since Einstein's physics more or less follows the path that Newton laid down.

4. Mar 21, 2006 #3
    What do you like better, your left eye or your right eye?

5. Mar 21, 2006 #4

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well, my left eye is dominant. Oddly, it also has the worse vision of the two. I guess I like my right eye better because it sees more clearly, but my brain disagrees. I don't even know how you can disagree with your own brain, but there I am.

- Warren

6. Mar 21, 2006 #5

ranger

Gold Member

I dont understand why people keep asking these questions :confused:

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."
    ~Isaac Newton

7. Mar 21, 2006 #6

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Odd, I like my right eye best, and it's also my weakest eye. Maybe we should start a poll.

8. Mar 21, 2006 #7

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

I like pie.

9. Mar 21, 2006 #8

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Pie are not squared. Pie are round!

- Warren

10. Mar 21, 2006 #9
    This is survey,

ha ha ha.

Sorry, could not resist. So wrong of me. Totally inappropriate.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2006
  11. Mar 21, 2006 #10

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I dunno about you guys, but I think if Newton and Einstein got in a bar fight, Newton would totally have won. I mean, it's so easy to pound on a pacifist.

- Warren

12. Mar 21, 2006 #11
    I like Robert Hooke for the insight of universal gravity and putting Newton on the right track with it.
    Newton and Einstein would have been lost without it and he doesn’t get proper credit for it, even if he was a bit of a jerk.

edit) & while Newton pounds on the pacifist, Hooke could bite Newton on the ankles.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2006
  13. Mar 21, 2006 #12

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Not if it's one of those ones that you get at McDonalds...
    People tend to stop being pacifists when people start hitting them. Besides - didn't Newton become a physicist because he was a sickly kid and couldn't do anything physical?

14. Mar 21, 2006 #13

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Aww...c'mon, Newton got beat up by an apple tree, and it wasn't even trying! :biggrin:

15. Mar 21, 2006 #14

JamesU

Gold Member

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

16. Mar 22, 2006 #15

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

I was SOOOO going to do that! You had the guts to though. LOL!!

17. Mar 22, 2006 #16

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm making a choice, but:

???

Regards,
    George

18. Mar 22, 2006 #17

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I agree ... somewhat.

I have become aware recently that this may be a "short" joke, i.e., that this might be a sarcastic reference to Robert Hooke, a short contemporary whom Newton detested.

Anyone know anything about this?

Regards,
    George

19. Mar 22, 2006 #18
    I believe the earliest source found on this quote (maybe only one) was in a letter from Newton to Hooke acknowledging some credit for the progress he had made in math and science. Yes, Hooke was what we might describe as a Little Napoleon, both in size and personality (not that Newton was any walk in the park either).

It wasn’t long after that Hooke started publicly complaining that the early drafts of Principia didn’t give him proper credit. Newton then removed Hooke’s name from later parts of the book before publishing, and worked to avoid giving Hooke any credit at all in any area.

In addition, Newton avoided publishing Optics, until the year after Hooke died; an area of science Hooke was considered as an expert.
    Newton did not like criticism and he did not like Hooke.

20. Mar 22, 2006 #19

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Newton also had any portraits of Hooke removed from the Royal Society for the Improvement of Natural Knowledge after Hooke died. Netwon had a tendency to get in feuds with quite a few people (Hooke, Leibniz, Flamsteed, for example), but he despised Hooke more than anyone else - mainly because Hooke was a very obnoxious person, himself. A lot of people felt Hooke compensated for his dwarfish appearance by making everyone around him feel even smaller than Hooke.

Hence the idea that maybe Newton wasn't exactly complimenting Hooke with that comment.

21. Mar 22, 2006 #20
    I hadn't heard that - maybe he even had them destroyed. I know finding a good image of Hooke was historically difficult, the one good portrait of Hooke used in most books was original stored as and thought to be someone else. Maybe putting it under another name back then saved it from a destructive purge.

Can you imagine that happening now! – I wonder - who’s photos would Hawking be tossing out?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?