RageSk8

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A17434-2003Oct12.html [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:

Monique

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Although nice, not completely accurate:

Scientists in North Carolina have built a brain implant that lets monkeys control a robotic arm with their thoughts, marking the first time that mental intentions have been harnessed to move a mechanical object.
About three years ago I saw someone fly an airplane (in a simulator) with electrodes attached to her head, this was a lay-person hosting a scientific technology television program.

That happened a few months back, actually.

russ_watters

Mentor
There is an intriguing fiction book about it called "Day of the Cheetah" where a guy interfaces in a literal sense with his airplane - two way communication, not just one-way control.

The dude with the first arm transplant complained afterward that he wished he never had the procedure.

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Originally posted by Monique
Although nice, not completely accurate:
Well, technically this was the first mechanism controlled.

About three years ago I saw someone fly an airplane (in a simulator) with electrodes attached to her head, this was a lay-person hosting a scientific technology television program.
I saw something like this many years ago where a military pilot was training on a mind controlled computer game. He had to change from Alpha to Beta [or Theta] wave dominance to steer right or left.

LURCH

Science Advisor
Originally posted by Ivan Seeking
Well, technically this was the first mechanism controlled.

I saw something like this many years ago where a military pilot was training on a mind controlled computer game. He had to change from Alpha to Beta [or Theta] wave dominance to steer right or left.
I've also seen a slalom skiing videogame in which the player makes the skier turn by switching from right brain two left brain neural activity.

Monique

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Yes, in the documentary they were saying that this could lead to a new definition of multi-tasking.. flying the airplane with your hands, controlling the machine gun with the mind.. ultrafast response.. we need a lot of adapting to do in order to do such a thing.. or might it be childsplay when introduced at a young age? I guess so... gives new meaning to playing mindgames...

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Originally posted by Monique
...gives new meaning to playing mindgames...
That's good.

How will the brain evolve, and what primitive areas of it will we utilize with the advent of mind control? Shall some people become more adept and form a privilaged caste (shades of original Star Trek?) in their new talent, and will deep regions of the brain come to conscious action?

Monique-Lisa, completing the square!