Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

This is Too Cool

1. Oct 13, 2003 #1
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 13, 2003 #2

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Although nice, not completely accurate:

About three years ago I saw someone fly an airplane (in a simulator) with electrodes attached to her head, this was a lay-person hosting a scientific technology television program.

4. Oct 13, 2003 #3
    That happened a few months back, actually.

5. Oct 13, 2003 #4

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

There is an intriguing fiction book about it called "Day of the Cheetah" where a guy interfaces in a literal sense with his airplane - two way communication, not just one-way control.

6. Oct 13, 2003 #5
    The dude with the first arm transplant complained afterward that he wished he never had the procedure.

7. Oct 16, 2003 #6

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well, technically this was the first mechanism controlled.

I saw something like this many years ago where a military pilot was training on a mind controlled computer game. He had to change from Alpha to Beta [or Theta] wave dominance to steer right or left.

8. Oct 16, 2003 #7

LURCH

Science Advisor

I've also seen a slalom skiing videogame in which the player makes the skier turn by switching from right brain two left brain neural activity.

9. Oct 16, 2003 #8

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes, in the documentary they were saying that this could lead to a new definition of multi-tasking.. flying the airplane with your hands, controlling the machine gun with the mind.. ultrafast response.. we need a lot of adapting to do in order to do such a thing.. or might it be childsplay when introduced at a young age? I guess so... gives new meaning to playing mindgames...

10. Oct 16, 2003 #9

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That's good.

11. Oct 16, 2003 #10
    How will the brain evolve, and what primitive areas of it will we utilize with the advent of mind control? Shall some people become more adept and form a privilaged caste (shades of original Star Trek?) in their new talent, and will deep regions of the brain come to conscious action?

Monique-Lisa, completing the square!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?