This is what happen to an aluminum block when a....

This is what happen to an aluminum block when a 0.5 ounce piece of plastic hits it at a speed 15,000mph in space.

That's some serious impact! Just imagine what a heavier object could do traveling at the same speed.

Attachments

DaveC426913

Gold Member
I have seen this image - and its claim - dozens of times over the last year. I have yet to find a reliable source of its authenticity.

This is a test, done here on Earth, under optimal conditions, not an actual impact in space.

"An anonymous user on Reddit, who apparently works in the aerospace field, posted an image of what a 1/2oz of space debris can do to a block of solid aluminum. This test was done by a light-gas gun in close quarters and shows how much damage even a tiny amount of space debris can do: "

BTW, because of the lens, the pic looks darned impressive, but the crater is (only) 5 inches deep. That makes it about 10 inches across.

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
This is a test, done here on Earth, under optimal conditions, not an actual impact in space.
My first question was "why would anyone want to launch an aluminum block?"

Bystander

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Kinetic kill is kinetic kill, roadkill is roadkill, .... So...?

Even tiny objects that weigh hardly anything can become extremely powerful projectiles at hypervelocity.

That half-ounce piece of plastic probably packed a many times more kinetic energy than a bullet fired from a 50-caliber rifle.

Choppy

Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
So it turns out the way to defeat the Borg was a 0.5 ounce piece of plastic travelling at 15,000 mph.

Who knew? :oldbiggrin:

borg.jpg

gleem

Science Advisor
Education Advisor
The article referenced states that the damage was done by an object the size and weight of a pencil eraser. It may be the size of a pencil eraser but at 0.5 oz or 14.2 grams its mass is close to a 0.45 ACP (automatic colt pistol) bullet at 15 grams. Bang.

HankDorsett

Gold Member
Electromagnetic railgun?

HankDorsett

Gold Member
earlier today I saw a meme with the same image that stated it was aluminum on the ISS that was hit by plastic. You got to love social media.