This is what happens to an aluminum block when it hits...

In summary, an aluminum block is severely damaged when a 0.5 ounce piece of plastic hits it at a speed 15,000 mph in space.
ElliotSmith
This is what happen to an aluminum block when a 0.5 ounce piece of plastic hits it at a speed 15,000mph in space.

That's some serious impact! Just imagine what a heavier object could do traveling at the same speed.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 521
Physics news on Phys.org
I have seen this image - and its claim - dozens of times over the last year. I have yet to find a reliable source of its authenticity.

This is a test, done here on Earth, under optimal conditions, not an actual impact in space.

"An anonymous user on Reddit, who apparently works in the aerospace field, posted an image of what a 1/2oz of space debris can do to a block of solid aluminum. This test was done by a light-gas gun in close quarters and shows how much damage even a tiny amount of space debris can do: "
https://bigthink.com/news/heres-the-damage-a-tiny-speck-of-space-debris-can-do-at-15000mphBTW, because of the lens, the pic looks darned impressive, but the crater is (only) 5 inches deep. That makes it about 10 inches across.

DaveC426913 said:
This is a test, done here on Earth, under optimal conditions, not an actual impact in space.

My first question was "why would anyone want to launch an aluminum block?"

• Haha
Likes Wrichik Basu, berkeman and DaveC426913
Kinetic kill is kinetic kill, roadkill is roadkill, ... So...?

Even tiny objects that weigh hardly anything can become extremely powerful projectiles at hypervelocity.

That half-ounce piece of plastic probably packed a many times more kinetic energy than a bullet fired from a 50-caliber rifle.

So it turns out the way to defeat the Borg was a 0.5 ounce piece of plastic traveling at 15,000 mph.

Who knew? :oldbiggrin:

borg.jpg

• Haha
Likes Wrichik Basu and 2milehi
The article referenced states that the damage was done by an object the size and weight of a pencil eraser. It may be the size of a pencil eraser but at 0.5 oz or 14.2 grams its mass is close to a 0.45 ACP (automatic colt pistol) bullet at 15 grams. Bang.

Vanadium 50 said:
My first question was "why would anyone want to launch an aluminum block?"
Ask Elon...

1566916622570.png

Likes BillTre
Electromagnetic railgun?

HankDorsett said:
Electromagnetic railgun?
No. "Light-gas gun".
Whatever that is.

earlier today I saw a meme with the same image that stated it was aluminum on the ISS that was hit by plastic. You got to love social media.

No way!
The damage is proportional to the Kinetic energy imparted:
KE = 1/2 m v2...
so i ran the numbers & unfort the Physics doesn't add up.
(NB: 15000mph = 6705.6 meters/sec)
KE = 1/2 x 0.014kg x (6705 x 6705)
= 1/2 x 0.014 x 44 957 025
= 1/2 x 629 398.35
= 314 699 Joules
So it's only:
314.699kJ = 75.3 calories = 0.0875 Kilowatt Hours or
in other words; enough energy to run your 1000W (1kW) radiator
for 0.0875 of an hour...5.25mins
(or for comparison: 564 calories in a Big Mac... so about 1/8th of a burger)
I severely doubt that is enough energy
to spiflicate a solid block of Aluminium like that!

• Skeptical
Likes hmmm27, 256bits and hutchphd
Amusingly, you defend against these threats by using Whipple Shields which are essentially thin sheets of spaced armor. The basic idea is that the first layer does so much damage to the projectile that the next layer is able to stop the debris. On the other hand, a rifle bullet, which is slower and is consequently damaged less, would penetrate easily.

yelelafella said:
No way!
KE = 1/2 m v2...
= 1/2 x 629 398.35
= 314 699 Joules
So it's only:
You are thinking about this wrong. 315 kJ corresponds to .16 lbs of tnt. It is a lot of energy.

Likes 256bits
A bit of a units (math?) error there.
315 kJ ≈ 75 300 calories.
(food calories are actually kilocalories)

Density of Aluminum: 2.7g/cc

Specific Heat of Aluminum: 0.89J/g
Melting point of Aluminum: 660C
(660 - 20) * 0.89 = 570J/g

Heat of fusion for Aluminum: 380J/g
315 000/(570 + 380) = 332g (or 123cc) of Aluminum is liquified

Heat of vaporization for Aluminum: 11 370J/g
315 000/(570 + 380 + 11 370) = 25.6g (or 9.5cc) of Aluminum is vaporized

Cheers,
Tom
(Yup, I'm bored tonite! :wink:)

Likes Frabjous and Drakkith
Tom.G said:
25.6g (or 9.5cc) of Aluminum is vaporized
Before anyone asks, melt and vaporization are a small percentage of crater volume. Most of it is from deformation and failure.

Likes Tom.G
DaveC426913 said:
No. "Light-gas gun".
Whatever that is.
a giant spit-ball-machine using H2 OR He for propulsion

• Haha
Likes Tom.G and Drakkith
yelelafella said:
No way!
KE = 1/2 m v2...
= 1/2 x 629 398.35
= 314 699 Joules
So it's only:
That's not all that was spificated.
The reddit poster doesn't know his conversions from metric to english
The crater is much more to be 5cm dia ( multipying by 2 doesn't give 10 inches )
Not so sure about the mass of the projectile, but it could be 14g

Anyways, find the volume of the crater, find the energy to melt that amount of Al, and your 315J should in the ballpark.

Before anyone asks, melt and vaporization are a small percentage of crater volume. Most of it is from deformation and failure.
@Frabjous I did say ballpark.

Last edited:
Frabjous said:
You are thinking about this wrong. 315 kJ corresponds to .16 lbs of tnt. It is a lot of energy.
To put it in perspective, TNT with a density of 1.65 gm/cc, for 75gms, is a cube about 3.5 cm on a side.

Likes dextercioby and Frabjous
Some experimental data points:

Lead bullet at 1000 FPS on a solid steel plate splashes without denting the plate.

Lead bullet at 2000 FPS on a 2" thick solid steel plate makes a crater that my little finger tip fits into. And some of the lead splashes almost straight back. There are significant challenges making lead bullets work at that velocity, but handloaders like to do this sort of thing. Not me, but I was there.

It is easier to understand the dynamics of high speed impact if you assume that the projectile is a liquid, calculate the velocity pressure (##0.5 * \rho * V^2##), and compare to the compressive strength of the projectile.

They may have used Al for effect. Also, we do not know what alloy of Al was used. Even among Al alloys, there is a significant difference in strength. If they had used Stainless Steel for example the results would not have been as dramatic. SS has 3 to 4 times the tensile strength of Al alloys plus it is twice as dense and has a melting point twice that of Al. Anyway, it would be interesting to see what would have happened.

gleem said:
They may have used Al for effect. Also, we do not know what alloy of Al was used. Even among Al alloys, there is a significant difference in strength. If they had used Stainless Steel for example the results would not have been as dramatic. SS has 3 to 4 times the tensile strength of Al alloys plus it is twice as dense and has a melting point twice that of Al. Anyway, it would be interesting to see what would have happened.
I dug up a scaling law for geomaterials, (ρY3)-.25, and it predicted a new crater volume equal to V0/3.7. If one assumes that it retains the same shape, the new lengths are l0/1.5.

Last edited:
Choppy said:
So it turns out the way to defeat the Borg was a 0.5 ounce piece of plastic traveling at 15,000 mph.

Who knew? :oldbiggrin:

View attachment 248756
Star Trek never touched on mass weapons, focusing primarily on energy weapons. However; Mass weapons can not only be destroyers of huge massive ships like what the Borg cube is supposed to be. They could also be planet destroyers. If we ever encountered another race is space. We would have to peacefully coexist, because they would undoubtedly be as familiar with mass weapons as we are and an all out war would mean mutually complete destruction.
On another note: This could be added to the long lists of possibilities, of why we have not seen evidence of other races. What if everytime 2 space faring races meet they completely destroy each other?

gleem said:
Definitely late to the party, but I suspect the use of aluminum is because that's a very commonly used spaceframe material. Much of the ISS structure is aluminum alloys, iirc.

1. What happens to an aluminum block when it hits a hard surface?

When an aluminum block hits a hard surface, it will experience a force that causes it to deform or break. The extent of the deformation or breakage will depend on the speed and angle at which the block hits the surface, as well as the strength and composition of the block itself.

2. Does the temperature of the aluminum block affect how it reacts when it hits something?

Yes, the temperature of the aluminum block can affect its reaction when it hits something. At higher temperatures, the block will be more malleable and therefore more likely to deform upon impact. At lower temperatures, the block will be more brittle and may even shatter upon impact.

3. How does the shape of the aluminum block impact its behavior when it hits something?

The shape of the aluminum block can greatly impact its behavior when it hits something. A block with a flat surface will distribute the force of impact more evenly, whereas a block with sharp edges or corners may experience more concentrated points of stress and may break or deform in a different way.

4. What happens to the energy of the aluminum block when it hits something?

When an aluminum block hits something, the energy from the impact is transferred to both the block and the surface it hits. Some of the energy may be dissipated as heat, sound, or other forms of energy, while some may be stored as potential energy in the deformed or broken block.

5. Can the speed of the aluminum block affect the damage it causes upon impact?

Yes, the speed of the aluminum block can greatly impact the damage it causes upon impact. A faster moving block will have more kinetic energy, which can result in more severe damage to both the block and the surface it hits. This is why high-speed impacts, such as those in car crashes, can cause significant damage to aluminum structures.