Is Mathpages the Best Resource for Understanding GR?

• I
  • Thread starter m4r35n357
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses various resources for learning about the field equations and the Kruskal metric, with a particular focus on the mathpages website and Sean Carroll's lecture notes. The participants share their opinions on the usefulness and complexity of these resources, with one person preferring the practical approach of mathpages and another finding Carroll's notes too challenging. They also mention other sources for learning about related topics.
m4r35n357
I have to be perfectly honest here, I haven't checked this (lack of stamina), but thought I'd post it for awareness.

From the Field Equations to the Kruskal Metric

Tyre-kicking of the highest order!

Likes atyy
Physics news on Phys.org
m4r35n357 said:
I have to be perfectly honest here, I haven't checked this (lack of stamina), but thought I'd post it for awareness.

From the Field Equations to the Kruskal Metric

Tyre-kicking of the highest order!
FYI, there are a number of papers that did very rigorous derivations along this line years before math pages existed. While I generally have a good opinion of Kevin Brown (author of mathpages), there are times when he over philosophizes and over complicates things that can be treated much more simply. I think the single best free online intro to GR is Sean Carroll’s lecture notes.

Likes berkeman and bhobba
PAllen said:
FYI, there are a number of papers that did very rigorous derivations along this line years before math pages existed. While I generally have a good opinion of Kevin Brown (author of mathpages), there are times when he over philosophizes and over complicates things that can be treated much more simply. I think the single best free online intro to GR is Sean Carroll’s lecture notes.
To put it bluntly, Carroll's notes are just too hard, and too theoretical for my taste. I think the only part I understood properly was the effective potential orbit stuff. Mathpages suits me because it is like a giant set of worked examples, which I think is necessary if you are not surrounded by professors, textbooks and other students.

Kevin Brown's range is truly colossal, free to read, and more suited to my learning level. As a parting shot, aimed at the forum in general, here are three separate articles on infinite grids of resistors . . . !

1. Why do you like Mathpages?

I like Mathpages because it provides a platform for me to explore and learn about various mathematical concepts and theories. Plus, the community of mathematicians and science enthusiasts on the website is incredibly knowledgeable and supportive.

2. How has Mathpages helped you as a scientist?

Mathpages has helped me as a scientist by providing me with a wealth of information and resources to better understand and apply mathematical principles in my research. It has also allowed me to connect with fellow scientists and collaborate on projects.

3. What sets Mathpages apart from other educational websites?

Mathpages stands out because of its focus on mathematics and the level of detail and depth it goes into with each topic. The website also encourages community engagement and discussion, making it a more interactive learning experience.

4. Is Mathpages suitable for beginners in mathematics?

Yes, Mathpages is suitable for beginners in mathematics as it covers a wide range of topics, from basic concepts to advanced theories. The website also provides clear explanations and examples, making it easier for beginners to understand and learn.

5. Can I contribute to Mathpages as a mathematician?

Yes, Mathpages welcomes contributions from mathematicians and scientists. You can share your own articles, research, and insights on the website to help educate and inspire others in the community.