This lab is driving me crazy

• Thread starter gradeaswimr
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lab
In summary, the conversation is about a chemistry lab where the students have to compare their calculated coefficients with the actual balanced equation. After doing the calculations, one of the students comes up with an equation that matches their ratio, but their teacher suggests finding the actual equation online. Another student shares their equation and explains that it is a redox reaction. The conversation ends with the correct equation being revealed as 4 NaClO + Na2S2O3 + 2 NaOH → 4 NaCl + 2 Na2SO4 + H2O.
gradeaswimr
im takign AP CHEM and i love the course, but we did this one lab. i did the math and came up with the coefficients with the reactants. I'm supposed to compare it to the actual equation, but i can't find it anywhere. the lab included mixing a solution of hypochlorite ions and a solution of thiosulfate ions in a hydroxide solution. well...the hypochlorite and thiosulfate are attached to sodium, but she said not to include those at all in our equations. this is what i have:

.5M solution OCl- = x/.035L
x = .0175 mol OCl-

.5M solution S2O3- = x/.015L
x = .0075 mol S2O3-

so i ratioed the moles and got a 2 OCl : 1 S2O3 .

now all i have to do is find the actual balanced equation and compare it...but i have no clue what the actual equation was and my teacher said to find it online. i searched and searched, but have ended up with nothing. i tried to come up with my own equation which fits this ratio and that is:

2OCl + S2O3 + 6OH --> Cl2 + 2SO4 + 3H2O

this equation matches my ratio that i got, but she said that our ratios may be wrong and to just find the actual equations online because we haven't gotten into redox yet. anyway, all or any help would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
looks like redox because of hydroloysis (Na eliminated from equation)...hmmm, i think if that's what you came up with--it really doesn't look wrong to me since you included all the main elements in the mix...

Did you happen to employ iodine reagents at any time during the experiments?

im good

nope, no iodine.

i'm good, that steve guy told me my equation was fine, so I'm taking his word for it...we haven't covered redox in class yet, so I'm hoping we get to it soon. i thought my equation was good, but i didn't think it was right because it has Cl2 and that's not good. apparently, the Cl2 is dissolved in water, so it's okay.

thanks for your help though

-coolest person you'll ever meet :biggrin:

i think this is the equation for it:

4OCl + S2O3 = 4Cl + SO3 +SO2 +O2

should be a 4:1 ratio.
Good luck

Hey Chemnerd08, I am in AP Chem right now and we just did this exact experiment. I would like to know how you got your answer. I know its the right answer, but I do not fully grasp the concept and would like you to demonstrate the formulas for me.
Thanks

shfty46 - do not be surprised if chemnerd08 gives you no response because his post was from 2 years ago, and he only made 1 post.

Check your General Chem. or your Analytical Chemistry textbook about redox reactions. The hypochlorite is being reduced and the thiosulfate is being oxidized. Write each balanced half-reaction. Balance the reactions according the number of electrons needed, in other words, rewrite either or both half-reactions so the electron transfers balance. The rest, I forget for right now; balance the reaction using required Hydrogens, Oxygens, water,

Thanks a bunch. After thorough research in my book I finally found a little tid bit on redox. It really made all the difference. Thanks.

Hey, this reaction need not produce Cl2 gas! It appears in Wikipedia, and the correct mole ratio is 4:1 (hypochlorite to thiocyante).
Here is the Wikipedia page URL
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodium_thiosulfate#Other_uses
and here is the equation!
4 NaClO + Na2S2O3 + 2 NaOH → 4 NaCl + 2 Na2SO4 + H2O

1. What is causing the frustration in this lab?

There could be a variety of factors contributing to the frustration in this lab. It could be due to unclear instructions, unexpected results, equipment malfunctions, or a lack of understanding of the concepts being studied.

2. How can I stay organized and focused in this lab?

One way to stay organized and focused in a lab is to create a checklist of tasks that need to be completed. This can help ensure that all necessary steps are taken and prevent any mistakes or oversights. It may also be helpful to break down larger tasks into smaller, more manageable ones.

3. What should I do if I encounter unexpected results in this lab?

If you encounter unexpected results in a lab, it is important to carefully analyze and document your findings. It may also be helpful to consult with your lab instructor or colleagues to see if they have encountered similar results or have any insights to offer.

4. How can I improve my lab skills?

Improving lab skills takes practice and patience. It is important to carefully follow instructions, pay attention to detail, and ask questions when needed. Additionally, taking the time to review and understand the underlying concepts of the lab can also greatly improve skills and understanding.

5. What should I do if I am struggling in this lab?

If you are struggling in a lab, it is important to seek help and support. This could include talking to your lab instructor or seeking assistance from a tutor or classmate. It may also be helpful to take breaks and step away from the lab to clear your mind and come back with a fresh perspective.