Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

This may be the neatest paragraph you'll ever read.

1. Jan 25, 2004 #1
    Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are in; the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a ttoal mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh?

I just think this is so cool. I had no idea spelling was so unimportant. Makes me wonder about all the people who claim they did poorly in school because they are partially dyslexic. Maybe the are partially dumb and lazy instead. Okay, that's a little too harsh, but I have a new opinion about reading now, and less sympathy for some people I know who claim dyslexia caused them to not be able to correct their children's homework.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2004
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 25, 2004 #2
    I dont know dyslexia very well, but i know its far more complicated than that.

As for the spelling that really is quite cool, i could read it almost as fast as if it where all spelt correctly.

4. Jan 25, 2004 #3

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Whoa, that IS the neatest paragraph I've ever read! *forwarding email to friends* WB tribdog!

5. Jan 25, 2004 #4

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hrm, I notice that the permutations of the letters is small; they tend to be near where they should be in the long words. Allow me to run an experiment:

Aicrndocg to a rhaceseh at Cgarbdime Uviintsery, it dseon't mtaetr waht oderr the lterets in a wrod are in; the olny itonrampt tnihg is taht the fsrit and lsat lteter be at the rhigt pacle. The rset can be a ttaol mses and you can slitl raed it wuhitot ploerbm. Tish is busacee the haumn mnid deos not raed eervy lteter by ilestf, but the wrod as a wolhe. Azinamg, huh?

Anyways, context of the words is important too; I occasionally have a hard time hearing people, but I can still usually understand people even if I only heard 75% of the words clearly; sometimes I can piece together the sentence even if I didn't hear a single word clearly by processing it after I hear it.

6. Jan 25, 2004 #5
    Your version is almost in accordance with Cambridge Universities test, Hurkyl. Nice job. The only part where I had to stop for yours and not for Cambridge's was the last sentence. I had to check theirs then yours and then I got it. But your version was almost exactly the same speed as theirs.

I noticed too, that I can quickly pick up on a conversation that I potentially could just jumpe into, even if it might be half-way through already. I wonder what function of the brain can piece that puzzle together so quickly and I wonder if one could "hone" these skills and adapt them for further snippity-snaps.

7. Jan 25, 2004 #6

Tsu

Gold Member

Interesting. I posted the same thing back in September, but got very little response.
    https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6052
    --except megashawn thought I'd been smacked in the head.

8. Jan 25, 2004 #7

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I was without internet in september so I got a good excuse

9. Jan 25, 2004 #8
    I just dont like you, lol.

10. Jan 25, 2004 #9
    being dyslexic i feel particularly compelled to point out that you are being dumb and lazy in your attempt at logic. they key factor you are overlooking is the fact that, in school, they grade you on your spelling!. :wink:

11. Jan 25, 2004 #10

Tsu

Gold Member

Think I'll eat some worms.

12. Jan 25, 2004 #11
    Re: Re: This may be the neatest paragraph you'll ever read.

Not only that, but the reason this works is because a non-dyslexic person knows the original, correct version against which to compare the misspelled one. Dyslexics are not able to put together a coherent "correct" version in the first place without a tremendous amount of remedial work.

Dyslexia is not a myth. I read a neurologists account of the observation of some of the neurons in a slide taken from dyslexic person's brain (post mortem, of course). The neurons of the language area he was studying were all twisted and incoherently interconnected. (This was Dr. Wilder Penfield, as I recall.)

13. Jan 25, 2004 #12
    Re: Re: This may be the neatest paragraph you'll ever read.

The funny thing, Tsunami, is that Quartodecimain had posted the same thing a day or two before you. His thread got the attention. I saw yours, but I didn't say anything because I figured you'd see his sooner or later.

14. Jan 25, 2004 #13
    itnesrsitng prgaraph, gvies poelpe liek me hpoe :)

15. Jan 25, 2004 #14

Tsu

Gold Member

Re: Re: Re: This may be the neatest paragraph you'll ever read.

That IS pretty funny. I didn't see his. I was pretty new here back then and wasn't spending much time in GD. I received it in an email from Ivan's mom and he urged me to post it. I think it may have been one of my first threads.:smile:

16. Jan 26, 2004 #15
    1) A vheclie epxledod at a plocie cehckipont near the UN haduqertares in Bagahdd on Mnoday kilinlg the bmober and an Irqai polcie offceir

2) Big ccunoil tax ineesacrs tihs yaer hvae seezueqd the inmcoes of mnay pneosenirs

3) A dootcr has aimttded the magltheuansr of a tageene ceacnr pintaet who deid aetfr a hatospil durg blendur

just thought I'd post these up....so you can see it isnt quite that easy....its much easier once you expect the word to be there...but if you don't have a good idea what the next word is....its much harder to decipher...

for example:
    I snlreiecy digarese wtih the perisems put frtoh aobut scbrialnmg wrods, so I'm itionltlnaney enrovdaenig to ulizite leetnghir cpocmtaeild wodrs, not nclesiesray uonommcn wrdos, taht can not be dceerihped as ieuntlivity as tohse in the oirginal prgpraaah. The frist of my dsiceorives is taht wrods endnig in sufefxis or bnegining in pierxfes bmecoe daggesiend form the frist/lsat ltteer rothlpisneias taht spupedsloy are the baiss of the pmseires, and bemcoe mcuh mroe clinaelnhgg, amsolt ieclenaipbhrde. See?

-Ty

17. Jan 26, 2004 #16

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

--- ---- don't --- read every letter, --- don't read every word, ---. -- fact, --- probably ---- like --- 50% -- ---.

And yeah, the order has to be close for big words, otherwise they are tough to fueirg out.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?